[SOLVED] New 21" iMac Freezes, Mouse Moves, but can't interact

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirdMarioBro

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
We just opened a brand new iMac 21" literally yesterday (purchased within the last three weeks). It was on for about an hour with no problems whatsoever. Then, while transferring photos to iPhoto, the OS just froze. You can move the mouse around the screen, but it does nothing. You can't click anything. Hard resets/shutdowns result in the system rebooting back to the desktop like normal, but the mouse stays in this perpetual semi-frozen state. You can move the pointer, but you can't actually interact with anything to fix the problem. Nothing brings it out of this state. We're not terribly experienced with Macs (new owner) and also snowed in to boot.

Has anybody encountered problems like this before? How do I fix this freeze?

Solution
Hold down Cmd + Option + P + R right as you restart. Keep holding down the key combination until you hear the boot tone 3 total times. Let us know if that works :)

roagie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Hold down Cmd + Option + P + R right as you restart. Keep holding down the key combination until you hear the boot tone 3 total times. Let us know if that works :)

Solution

danieliasbeck

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
roagie, you saved my life! Just wanted to thank you! That was my exact problem, that's the exact solution, folks!

Daniel

tasnimkhairi

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
To roagie...
thank you! you save my life too. it really works! thank you very much! :D

"Hold down Cmd + Option + P + R right as you restart. Keep holding down the key combination until you hear the boot tone 3 total times. Let us know if that works :)"

Status
Not open for further replies.