lcd monitors

Are the dell lcd monitors with dvi ? Do the dvi interfaces require
special cables and can this (presumeably) dvi lcd connect to older
dells like a p4 4500 series PC ?
4 answers Last reply
More about monitors

    frank wrote:
    > Are the dell lcd monitors with dvi ? Do the dvi interfaces require
    > special cables and can this (presumeably) dvi lcd connect to older
    > dells like a p4 4500 series PC ?

    I have a Dell 1703FP hooked up to my analog GForce 440mx card in a D4550.
    Works great for me with the VGA cable that came with my old CRT.

    --

    Rob
    Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

    Some LCD monitors do, but not all. My Dell 2000 FP does. It should
    connect to your 4500 series, but you must also have a video card with
    both analog and DVI connections. Both cables came with my monitor and
    my ATI video card as the the DVI connection.

    Joan

    frank wrote:
    > Are the dell lcd monitors with dvi ? Do the dvi interfaces require
    > special cables and can this (presumeably) dvi lcd connect to older
    > dells like a p4 4500 series PC ?

    Many Dell LCD monitors DO have DVI, *but* if you connect to an "older
    (analog VGA)" video card,
    there is no advantage to having DVI.
    So far, all monitors that have DVI also have VGA. You DO need a special
    cable for DVI (usually included).
    Some DVI connections will also accept an analog signal (DVI-I) but if there
    is a cable shipped with
    the monitor, it is most likely DVI-D, without the analog channels. Do not
    try to connect a DVI-D cable
    to a VGA dongle - it will not work.

    HTH
    Gimp
    --

    frank wrote:

    > Are the dell lcd monitors with dvi ? Do the dvi interfaces require
    > special cables and can this (presumeably) dvi lcd connect to older
    > dells like a p4 4500 series PC ?

    The Dell LCD monitors called "Ultrasharp" have DVI and come with both
    analog and DVI cables. The LCD monitors whose model numbers start with
    "E" (for "Economy") only have the analog interface.

    If you want to use the DVI connection and your system's video card
    doesn't have the DVI connector, you can always buy a new card that
    supports DVI (that's what I had to do).

Dell LCD DVI Monitors Computers