lcd monitors

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
March 30, 2004 10:26:55 AM

Are the dell lcd monitors with dvi ? Do the dvi interfaces require
special cables and can this (presumeably) dvi lcd connect to older
dells like a p4 4500 series PC ?

More about : lcd monitors

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 30, 2004 11:49:57 AM

frank wrote:
> Are the dell lcd monitors with dvi ? Do the dvi interfaces require
> special cables and can this (presumeably) dvi lcd connect to older
> dells like a p4 4500 series PC ?

I have a Dell 1703FP hooked up to my analog GForce 440mx card in a D4550.
Works great for me with the VGA cable that came with my old CRT.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

Some LCD monitors do, but not all. My Dell 2000 FP does. It should
connect to your 4500 series, but you must also have a video card with
both analog and DVI connections. Both cables came with my monitor and
my ATI video card as the the DVI connection.

Joan

frank wrote:
> Are the dell lcd monitors with dvi ? Do the dvi interfaces require
> special cables and can this (presumeably) dvi lcd connect to older
> dells like a p4 4500 series PC ?
Related resources
March 30, 2004 6:41:24 PM

Many Dell LCD monitors DO have DVI, *but* if you connect to an "older
(analog VGA)" video card,
there is no advantage to having DVI.
So far, all monitors that have DVI also have VGA. You DO need a special
cable for DVI (usually included).
Some DVI connections will also accept an analog signal (DVI-I) but if there
is a cable shipped with
the monitor, it is most likely DVI-D, without the analog channels. Do not
try to connect a DVI-D cable
to a VGA dongle - it will not work.

HTH
Gimp
--
<frank> wrote in message news:o npi60dqh5vk82oth4517p1f22ng29vreg@4ax.com...
> Are the dell lcd monitors with dvi ? Do the dvi interfaces require
> special cables and can this (presumeably) dvi lcd connect to older
> dells like a p4 4500 series PC ?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 31, 2004 1:06:31 AM

frank wrote:

> Are the dell lcd monitors with dvi ? Do the dvi interfaces require
> special cables and can this (presumeably) dvi lcd connect to older
> dells like a p4 4500 series PC ?

The Dell LCD monitors called "Ultrasharp" have DVI and come with both
analog and DVI cables. The LCD monitors whose model numbers start with
"E" (for "Economy") only have the analog interface.

If you want to use the DVI connection and your system's video card
doesn't have the DVI connector, you can always buy a new card that
supports DVI (that's what I had to do).
!