Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is it my soundcard?

Last response: in Home Audio
November 8, 2009 8:02:48 AM

Hi,
I'm using Asus xonar d2x soundcard. my problem is I got this error message whenever I change the setting for using 'direct source' as default audio device:

"An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the item again."

There's no problem when using digital output. I've tried with other speakers to rule out speaker problem but the problem persists. Should conclude that my soundcard is the problem?
FYI, i'm using win7 x64 and i've installed the latest driver.

More about : soundcard

November 9, 2009 11:19:21 AM

The default device should be left as "Spakers (Xonar D2X)" [or something close to that]. Check the sound tab of the Windows control panel and make sure that "speakers" are set as the primary device.
Score
November 9, 2009 12:09:13 PM

I think i need to rephrase my question.

My speaker, logitech z5500, can support both analog & digital input. When i try to switch the input from analog to digital or vice versa, in the same time i have reconfigure my sound setting in the control panel. It used to be okay to use both analog and digital input (not in the same time) without any problem. However, now i can only use the digital input. Whenever i try to use analog the following message will appear:

""An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the item again."

Score
Related resources
November 10, 2009 11:28:07 AM

Hmm...you're doing what I used to do, flipping the source from SPDIF to analog output, which should work fine.

Do you have any other speakers (or headpones) to try out?

That being said, it sounds more like an issue with the soundcard then it does the speakers...try turning off GX mode and all DSP options, and see if that settles things. You could also check for new drivers...
Score
November 17, 2009 3:37:01 AM

Sorry. I made a very stupid mistake. I just forgot to uncheck the 'SPDIF out box' in the Asus audio center.

But then i realised that i can use both 'Asus xonar audio device' and 'SPDIF pass through device' (playback devices as seen in control panel) for digital output. Anybody knows what's the difference between these two? What i've realise so far is that when listening to mp3, no sound comes from center speaker if i use the former (asus xonar audio device)one, unlike SPDIF.
Score

Best solution

November 17, 2009 10:57:05 AM

Always, always keep "Speakers [Asus Xonar Audio Device]" as the default device, and toggle SPDIF output via the driver control panel. Swapping devices through windows just complicates things too much. Just make sure windows is set for 5.1, and you should be fine.
Anonymous
February 19, 2010 3:45:16 PM

hi all accidentally i disabled my speaker sound at play back devices on windows 7 ultimate on 32 bit,

then i got this error "An audio device was disconnected or reconfigured. Verify that the audio device is connected, and then try to play the item again."

i just right click at open space at play back tab in sound i found show disabled devices click then enable it.

regards,
MMK
Score
February 1, 2012 9:03:02 PM

I had this error on Doze 7 ultimate today. Found that when I went to Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Manage audio devices, under the Playback tab my "headphones" were being detected and undetected every 3 seconds or so. If you are quick enough, you can select properties on the headphones and disable this device from here - might take a few tries, I got it in 2.

Cheers,
Marty
Score
February 8, 2012 7:50:57 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!