Codex: Catachan

Is it still a valid army choice, from what I have seen it is an obsolete
army list but not invalid. Nowhere has it said they rules replace those in
Codex:Catachan, yes many of the options can be obtained from using doctrines
but not all. Whilst I see GW pushing to get all to conform to the IG
doctrines method I don't see anywhere that says you can still use it.
Any thought?

Jode

"And God created man in his likeness" - cool I was created God-like

In article <17F4e.13746$kr.9533@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Jody Hodgson,
jody.hodgson@ntlworld.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Is it still a valid army choice, from what I have seen it is an obsolete
> army list but not invalid. Nowhere has it said they rules replace those in
> Codex:Catachan, yes many of the options can be obtained from using doctrines
> but not all. Whilst I see GW pushing to get all to conform to the IG
> doctrines method I don't see anywhere that says you can still use it.
> Any thought?

Yes, to the best of my knowledge currently you can still use the
Catachan Codex for the Jungle fighting rules and some of the other
specialized units (Jungle vets, etc) there in. That being said, the
most 'recent' codex always has president over the older ones in terms of
specific rules and army lists. Thus the current 'Cadian' list in codex
Imperial Guard has priority over the older version in Codex Eye of
Terror. Any Catachan specific items in the current IG codex would over-
ride the older stuff in the Catachan Codex until such time (if/when) GW
comes out with an updated Catachan codex or list. Yeah, there are some
cool bits that the Catachans have in terms of special rules, but they're
really a 'one trick' army designed for a specific battle field type. I
don't recall ever seeing them do well as a 'generic' IG force against a
wide variety of opponents in RTT or GW Games Day type events.

Myrmidon

--
"I'm already impoverished from buying wargames minis,
and I'm too knackered for riotous living..."

-- Moramarth

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

Myrmidon wrote on Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:06:19 GMT:

> In article <17F4e.13746$kr.9533@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Jody Hodgson,
> jody.hodgson@ntlworld.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
>> Is it still a valid army choice, from what I have seen it is an obsolete
>> army list but not invalid. Nowhere has it said they rules replace those
>> in Codex:Catachan, yes many of the options can be obtained from using
>> doctrines but not all. Whilst I see GW pushing to get all to conform to
>> the IG doctrines method I don't see anywhere that says you can still use
>> it. Any thought?
>
> Yes, to the best of my knowledge currently you can still use the
> Catachan Codex for the Jungle fighting rules and some of the other
> specialized units (Jungle vets, etc) there in. That being said, the
> most 'recent' codex always has president over the older ones in terms of
> specific rules and army lists. Thus the current 'Cadian' list in codex
> Imperial Guard has priority over the older version in Codex Eye of
> Terror. Any Catachan specific items in the current IG codex would over-
> ride the older stuff in the Catachan Codex until such time (if/when) GW
> comes out with an updated Catachan codex or list. Yeah, there are some
> cool bits that the Catachans have in terms of special rules, but they're
> really a 'one trick' army designed for a specific battle field type. I
> don't recall ever seeing them do well as a 'generic' IG force against a
> wide variety of opponents in RTT or GW Games Day type events.

IIRC the word from GW on this is that you can use the IG codex with
doctrines to field a "normal" Catachan army, or the Catachan Codex to field
a "Deathworld veterans" list, but you can't take IG codex stuff in a
Catachan DW vets army, and vice versa. Basically, they are classed as
separate lists and never the twain shall meet. DW vets are no longer a UK GT
legal army either (althought the GT rules PDF on the GW site still seems to
be last years as it contains the note about the final using the "new" SM
codex).

Dan

In article <3bnialF6lmtljU1@individual.net>, Spack,
news@worldofspack.co.uk Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> Myrmidon wrote on Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:06:19 GMT:
>
> > In article <17F4e.13746$kr.9533@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Jody Hodgson,
> > jody.hodgson@ntlworld.com Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> >> Is it still a valid army choice, from what I have seen it is an obsolete
> >> army list but not invalid. Nowhere has it said they rules replace those
> >> in Codex:Catachan, yes many of the options can be obtained from using
> >> doctrines but not all. Whilst I see GW pushing to get all to conform to
> >> the IG doctrines method I don't see anywhere that says you can still use
> >> it. Any thought?
> >
> > Yes, to the best of my knowledge currently you can still use the
> > Catachan Codex for the Jungle fighting rules and some of the other
> > specialized units (Jungle vets, etc) there in. That being said, the
> > most 'recent' codex always has president over the older ones in terms of
> > specific rules and army lists. Thus the current 'Cadian' list in codex
> > Imperial Guard has priority over the older version in Codex Eye of
> > Terror. Any Catachan specific items in the current IG codex would over-
> > ride the older stuff in the Catachan Codex until such time (if/when) GW
> > comes out with an updated Catachan codex or list. Yeah, there are some
> > cool bits that the Catachans have in terms of special rules, but they're
> > really a 'one trick' army designed for a specific battle field type. I
> > don't recall ever seeing them do well as a 'generic' IG force against a
> > wide variety of opponents in RTT or GW Games Day type events.
>
> IIRC the word from GW on this is that you can use the IG codex with
> doctrines to field a "normal" Catachan army, or the Catachan Codex to field
> a "Deathworld veterans" list, but you can't take IG codex stuff in a
> Catachan DW vets army, and vice versa.

Thank you for the clue.

> Basically, they are classed as
> separate lists and never the twain shall meet. DW vets are no longer a UK GT
> legal army either (althought the GT rules PDF on the GW site still seems to
> be last years as it contains the note about the final using the "new" SM
> codex).

But I can use all my Forge world items? ;)

Myr

--
I agree. I'd love to see a 40k scale Stormhammer.

<shakes uncontrollably, whilst trying to prevent self from attacking own
Forgeworld Baneblade with a Dremel...>

Must.... convert.... aiiieeeeeee!!! <severs own finger>

--Daniel Blakemore

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

"Myrmidon" <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message

>> Basically, they are classed as
>> separate lists and never the twain shall meet. DW vets are no longer a UK
>> GT
>> legal army either (althought the GT rules PDF on the GW site still seems
>> be last years as it contains the note about the final using the "new" SM
>> codex).
>
> But I can use all my Forge world items? ;)

Not over here you can't :\

Dan

Right so tourny wise their no longer legal, but otherwise their fine, looks
like a whole rework of the army then.