netsh !! Please help

The PC has 512 MB RAM, 80 Gig HD, Pentium 4 3.0 CPU & Windows XP SP2.

He is using a dialup modem (parallel port on modem to Serial Port on PC) and
the modem completes the handshake & accepts the connection.

However, all Internet sending & receiving is sooooo slow (14 minutes to load
the Google homepage).

The ISP has instructed that the following command should be entered at the
root command prompt:

c:>netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

However, even this command is not enabling a 56k modem connection to the
Internet.

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Can't guarantee this will be a "helpful" suggestion.........I would imagine
"his" ISP had "him" reset the modem (power off for 10 seconds)?

NOTEKY

"who_cares" wrote:

> The PC has 512 MB RAM, 80 Gig HD, Pentium 4 3.0 CPU & Windows XP SP2.
>
> He is using a dialup modem (parallel port on modem to Serial Port on PC) and
> the modem completes the handshake & accepts the connection.
>
> However, all Internet sending & receiving is sooooo slow (14 minutes to load
> the Google homepage).
>
> The ISP has instructed that the following command should be entered at the
> root command prompt:
>
> c:>netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
>
> However, even this command is not enabling a 56k modem connection to the
> Internet.
>
> Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> TIA

Also, you can not connect a parallel port to serial. These two ports are
serial. The one on the modem is a 25 pin serial (known as a DB-25) and the
one at the computer is a 9 pin (DB-9).

"who_cares" <whocares@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> The PC has 512 MB RAM, 80 Gig HD, Pentium 4 3.0 CPU & Windows XP SP2.
>
> He is using a dialup modem (parallel port on modem to Serial Port on PC)
> and the modem completes the handshake & accepts the connection.
>
> However, all Internet sending & receiving is sooooo slow (14 minutes to
> load the Google homepage).
>
> The ISP has instructed that the following command should be entered at the
> root command prompt:
>
> c:>netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
>
> However, even this command is not enabling a 56k modem connection to the
> Internet.
>
> Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> TIA

Sorry, perhaps I used an incorrect term.

The connection on the modem is 24pin and the connection to the PC is a 9pin.

> Also, you can not connect a parallel port to serial. These two ports are
> serial. The one on the modem is a 25 pin serial (known as a DB-25) and
> the one at the computer is a 9 pin (DB-9).
>

> "who_cares" <whocares@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>>
>> The PC has 512 MB RAM, 80 Gig HD, Pentium 4 3.0 CPU & Windows XP SP2.
>>
>> He is using a dialup modem (parallel port on modem to Serial Port on PC)
>> and the modem completes the handshake & accepts the connection.
>>
>> However, all Internet sending & receiving is sooooo slow (14 minutes to
>> load the Google homepage).
>>
>> The ISP has instructed that the following command should be entered at
>> the root command prompt:
>>
>> c:>netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
>>
>> However, even this command is not enabling a 56k modem connection to the
>> Internet.
>>
>> Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> TIA

No modem has ever reached 56K baud rate (it is just too fast for the phone
line. At best, you can get 42K baud rate is the most likely baud rate you
will get. Even this baud rate is "flaky" at times. This is one reason that
"boardband" DSL service is taking off.

In news:%23lnzUY6kFHA.3692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Yves Leclerc <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> typed:

> No modem has ever reached 56K baud rate (it is just too fast
> for the
> phone line.

Not true. The reason you can't get 56K bps (at least in the USA)
is that the FCC limits connections to 53K.

> At best, you can get 42K baud rate is the most likely
> baud rate you will get.

Also not true. I have *often* seen people regularly get over 50K.

Please reply to the newsgroup