Can't Delete Files From Recycle Bin - Can't Find The Bin!!

Hi All

When I ran Norton AV recently it detected two infected files but was unable
to delete them. The location of the files was given as
C:\RECYCLER\verylongnumber\......... where verylongnumber is a security ID
beginning S-1-5-21-

The normal recycle bin is on my desktop but there is no sign of this
"secured" recycle bin, which I presume is hidden in some way.

Does anyone have any idea how I can delete these files?

Thanks, as always, for you time.

Ray
4 answers Last reply
More about delete files recycle find

    Hi Ray,

    That is a recyle bin for another user profile in all likelyhood. Emptying it
    from all user accounts is the easy solution.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ray" <rw.cove@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > When I ran Norton AV recently it detected two infected files but was
    > unable to delete them. The location of the files was given as
    > C:\RECYCLER\verylongnumber\......... where verylongnumber is a security ID
    > beginning S-1-5-21-
    >
    > The normal recycle bin is on my desktop but there is no sign of this
    > "secured" recycle bin, which I presume is hidden in some way.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea how I can delete these files?
    >
    > Thanks, as always, for you time.
    >
    > Ray

    It depends upon how you perform the emptying of the recycle bin.

    1. If you right click on the bin and choose "open", you will be in the
    standard recycle bin. You can highlight files and choose delete from there.
    This will not touch the files in the Norton Protected Recycle Bin. In fact,
    they are not even seen from here.

    2. You can empty the recycle bin by double clicking the recycle bin icon,
    and emptying from the "UnErase Wizard". Look at the bottom option in this
    window.

    3. Alternatively, you can right click on the recycle bin. You will see an
    option to "Empty Norton Protected Files"?

    You have to empty the recycle bin in two stages for it to be really cleared,
    the system recycle bin and the Norton Protected Recycle Bin.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    Ray wrote on Thu, 28 Jul 2005:

    >Hi All
    >
    >When I ran Norton AV recently it detected two infected files but was unable
    >to delete them. The location of the files was given as
    >C:\RECYCLER\verylongnumber\......... where verylongnumber is a security ID
    >beginning S-1-5-21-
    >
    >The normal recycle bin is on my desktop but there is no sign of this
    >"secured" recycle bin, which I presume is hidden in some way.
    >
    >Does anyone have any idea how I can delete these files?
    >
    >Thanks, as always, for you time.
    >
    >Ray

    Hi Ray

    The folder with the "very long number" name *is* the Recycle Bin and
    where files awaiting "final" deletion are stored. You can see this for
    yourself by putting a test file in the bin and then opening Explorer and
    looking at C:\Recycler\very_long_number. You have to have set the
    options for viewing System and Hidden files to do this.

    Sometimes a file can get corrupted and "stuck" in the bin, though it's
    not visible when you look inside the bin from Windows. If the solutions
    already posted don't fix it for you, try this: (please don't be put off
    by the length, it's really easy to do. The parts in brackets describe
    what you should see.)

    Click Start > run, type cmd, click OK. (Command Prompt opens)

    Type cd C:\recycler <enter> (directory changes to C:\recycler)

    Type dir /ah <enter> (shows hidden files)

    You should see 3 entries with <DIR > next to them. One is a dot, one is
    2 dots, and one is the very long number, starting S-1-5-21. I'm not sure
    if the name of this file is always the same, so you need to look at your
    own one.

    Type cd <the very long number, without these brackets> <enter>
    (directory changes to C:\recycler\very_long_number)

    Type dir (you should get a listing of any files in the Recycle Bin)

    Files in the bin have their names (but not extensions) changed and they
    normally look something like this: Dc22.TTF, for example, is a font file
    I deleted. But if there are any corrupted files they may look different
    from that.

    If you can see them, try deleting them from there:

    Type del *.* (star-dot-star) <enter>
    If asked: Are you sure Y/N type y <enter>

    Or if they are not files but folders (with <DIR> by their names in the
    directory listing) try typing RD <foldername> <enter>

    The type dir <enter> again to see if they're gone.

    If you can't see them or they won't delete, try doing the whole thing
    again in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

    Hope this helps some.

    (P.S. If you try this and empty your bin, but find when you come back to
    Windows that the bin icon is still showing full and doesn't change even
    with F5 refresh; fix it by putting a test file in the bin and then
    emptying it. :-)

    --
    Nightowl

    Thanks for the suggestion, guys. I suspect it's more likely to be what Rick
    suggested, as I'm not using a Norton Proteced recycle bin (I think that
    comes as part of Norton System Works - I'm only using Internet Security) but
    I'll check out both ideas more fully. Maybe, as you both say, it's probably
    easiest just to empty everything!

    Ray

    "Ray" <rw.cove@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > When I ran Norton AV recently it detected two infected files but was
    > unable to delete them. The location of the files was given as
    > C:\RECYCLER\verylongnumber\......... where verylongnumber is a security ID
    > beginning S-1-5-21-
    >
    > The normal recycle bin is on my desktop but there is no sign of this
    > "secured" recycle bin, which I presume is hidden in some way.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea how I can delete these files?
    >
    > Thanks, as always, for you time.
    >
    > Ray

Norton Microsoft Windows XP