Antenna for the MN500

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Is there a way of removing the antenna from the MN500
base station so I can replace it with an extended range
antenna. I don't want to force it, but it appears that
it does not unscrew from the station.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Dear dan,

There are ways, but only if you are familiar with
microwave electronics/antenna theory.

If you are attempting to extend the range of your
wireless network, think of replacing your network
adapters. There are adapters available online which have
external connections for microwave antennas (Yags,
panles, and dishhes) that can increase you reception over
a kilometer with standard base stations.

it is not removable. there is also an internal antenna. you won't be able to
extend the range in this manner. you can wire another unit to it in access
point mode for roaming. same SSID, different channel.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

You may want to look at www.freeantennas.com -- they have
designs for reflector templates that you can assemble (some
paper based) and plug onto the existing antenna -- it works
by focusing the signal into one direction or another --
some can get you a range of about a mile or so into one
direction.

With a sat dish you can get up to 30 miles -- maybe more,
but can't test it in Hawaii ^.^ -- and the beam becomes
extremelly focused

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Aloha lilo,

I've build a Pringles can (Fat Free - not very Hawai'i)
waveguide using an USB network adapter at the focus.
Worked across my street at 54 bps. I wonder if a SPAM can
would work, but it would have to be empty ;-)

Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono,

---* Ken