wes vogel- host file mgr from mvps

curtis

Distinguished
May 26, 2004

thank you so much for responding twice to me, i will do what you said.
question you siad you didnt like this program what do you use or do you? is
it really needed and does it help protect computer? maybe you could point me
in a different direction for another source. thank you again very much ,
curtis
--
curtis

Hi Curtis,

You should have responded in the same thread. Where you posted before.

I do not use any special program.

I check periodically for updates of the HOSTS file here...
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Actually Siljaline Microsoft MVP, posts update announcements to all kinds of
antispyware stuff here....
http://msmvps.com/siljaline/

If there is a new HOSTS file, I download the new one and replace the old one
with the new one, keeping a backup copy in another location.

Different from %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC just in case.

And if I want to look at the HOSTS file, I open it with Notepad. The only
thing I do is set the HOSTS file to Read-only. I do not make it a Hidden,
System file or anything fancy. I do not change anything on the fly or
anything else fancy.

I just do what it says here...
[[There is no need to install, turn on, or change any settings. Windows
automatically looks for the existence of a HOSTS file and if found, checks
the HOSTS file first for entries to the web page you just requested. The
127.0.0.1 is the location of your computer, so when the entry (example)
"ad.doubleclick.net" is requested your computer thinks 127.0.0.1 is the
location of the file. When this file is not located it skips onto the next
file and thus the ad server is blocked from loading the banner, Cookie, or
some unscrupulous javascript file.]]
From...
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes