Dell 2408WFP/ BENQ G2400WD/ Samsung T240

zwqing

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Hey guys which monitor offers the best movie AND gaming experience? I know that the BENQ G2400WD has very low input lag which is perfect for gaming but does it perform as well with movies? I read that T240 has afterglow effect and very high input lag for gaming.. can any user verify this with me? How about dell2408wfp i read that the A01 revision has lower input lag but is it sufficient to play and games smoothly? Please judge all 3 giving attention to movie and gaming display quality.. Any help would be much appreciated..

I have the 2408 and love it (A01). I would recommend it to anyone. I don't have experience with the others, though if I'm not mistaken, they are TN panels. This would make them have a noticeably inferior picture quality.

zwqing

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
cjl what games do you play? Do you notice any input lag/ghosting with your monitor? How much better is the input lag of A01 compared to A00? After I've done some more reading I notice the problem of color shifting inevitable in VA panels.. .this might be the reason why I might opt for other models (even after considering the fact that the input lag is not noticeable)

Color shifting?

Perhaps slightly, though the panels you mentioned as alternatives will exhibit far worse color shifting due to being TN panels. Honestly, any shifting in the S-PVA will be quite minor compared to any TN panel, and only noticeable if you are quite picky about that sort of thing (in which case the only type of LCD you should be looking at is an IPS based panel).

As for the games, currently I am replaying Bioshock, I play CoD 4, and I enjoy a variety of other shooters as well as some strategy (command and conquer, company of heroes, etc). I haven't noticed lag in any of them, and I would think it would be noticeable especially on something like CoD 4 online. There is definitely zero ghosting, though that is a problem on a friend's 2407WFP. As for input lag in A00 and A01, I wouldn't know, as I've never used an A00, but as I said, I can't notice any lag in my A01.

zwqing

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for the info, I thought TN panel was better in terms of color shifting. Now I'm inclined towards 2408wfp but still looking for more +s and -s of this and other models ..

zwqing

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
hey cjl are you still there 0.0? Sigh seems like you're the only one who can help me lol. Now I'm stuck between BenQ G2400WD and dell 2408wfp. Reason for not considering T240 - does not have 1:1 pixel mapping. I'm aware that both BenQ and Dell have 1:1 pixel mapping..then I come across this web http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1264046&page=4. ET and the other guy were arguing about the 1:1 aspect thingy. I'm not an expert but I have a rough idea that it doesn't scale properly (doesn't scale 4:3 and 16:9 well). Now I really need your explanation...

1) Is changing the screen to scale for 4:3/ 16:9 same as changing resolutions?
2) If I choose to change the native resolution to any other resolutions will it be the perfect ratio and have black borders? Or will it stretch to fit the entire screen? Or will it scale accordingly but still distorted ?

Sry if you find it confusing regarding my question as I'm not really sure what I'm looking at here don't have the monitor to test with. Pls forgive me if I've used any wrong terminologies, but I tried to explain from my perspective as detailed as possible ^^

You can set it to do whatever you want with non native input signals. It will do 1:1 (exactly what it sounds like - no scaling, the image is just in the center of the screen at whatever resolution), fill (will stretch or distort picture though), or aspect (where it keeps the correct aspect ratio, but stretches the image to best fit the screen). I typically keep mine on the aspect setting.

zwqing

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks. I've made my decision and will go for it. I guess the input lag won't be noticeable to me I don't really do competitive FPS online. Really looking forward to see the differences between this and my current 19" TN lcd monitor ^^

Oh, and to better answer part 1, it is sort of like changing resolutions. If you set it to aspect ratio, it in essence has 3 native resolutions. It's full native, at 16:10 is 1920x1200. However, it will also act (and have image quality) like it is at native resolution at 1600x1200 (4:3) and 1920x1080 (16:9).

Hyno

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
For gaming a TN panel is better because it's faster, for picture editing and stuff like that you would normally use a better panel than TN. Here is more info about the models ur talking about:

BenQ G2400WD / 2ms G2G / 24"WS TN Film
Dell 2408WFP / 6ms G2G / 24"WS Samsung S-PVA (LTM240CS05)

Hyno

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
You should consider two criteria: the response time and the input lag

Response time: The minimum time necessary to change a pixel's color or brightness. A response time of <16ms is sufficient for video-gaming,[1] and the difference between response times below 10ms becomes imperceptible due to limitations of the human eye.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display

Input lag is a phenomenon associated with some types of LCD displays, and nearly all types of HDTVs, that refers to latency, or lag measured by the difference between the time a signal is input into a display and the time it is shown by the display.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

zwqing

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Well I'm aware of the input lag and thought that the 4ms response time will not be perceptible as well. But my choice is still Dell although I game a lot. I hope the IQ /viewing angle will compensate for the input lag of 30-35ms.

Prodigal19

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I bought the dell 2408 a couple of weeks ago but am now returning it. The picture quality was awesome, but the input lag was unbearable for gaming. I might be more sensitive than most though because many people don't have a problem with it. There has also been some speculation that the high input lag for this monitor only occurs on some NVIDIA cards. Either way, I decided to return it. I just ordered the BenQ G2400WD from Newegg as a replacement. Ill let you know what I think of it.

zwqing

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Prodigal, thanks for replying. I think input lag is the problem within the panel used in the monitor itself not related to any graphic card though I might be wrong. Anyway, when will you be receiving it & referring to my latest topic post do you have any idea about input lag increasing when the resolution is scaled further from the native resolution of the monitor? Did you play your games on 1920x1200? Input lag more visible during gaming?

Which revision did you get? A00 or A01? As for the speculation about Nvidia, I haven't heard of it, but I am running on an ATI setup, so it's hard to say for sure.

Hyno

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
If you play your games on native resolution the input lag will be the lowest. If you change the resolution it is likely to increase the input lag.

zwqing

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Sigh, the other guy who owns the Dell told me that there is no increase in input lag if resolution is changed. Cjl, any words on this?

I haven't noticed any increase, but I haven't tested it significantly either. There is definitely no increase if you use 1:1 scaling (which, if you use constant aspect ratio mode, includes 1920x1200, 1600x1200, and 1920x1080), I'm not sure about anything else. I don't ever play games off of native anyways (I have quadfire 4870s, so I don't have any trouble).

Prodigal19

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

Hey, so I just got my benq g2400wd. First to answer your question, I didnt notice any difference in the input lag for the dell at different resolutions, but I played games mostly at 1920x1200. Input lag was really only noticeable during gaming, but not for anything else.

So far I haven't noticed any lag at all with the BenQ monitor after trying different games on different resolutions. The overall picture isn't quite as good as that of the Dell's but it is still great.

In my opinion the Dell is better for pretty much everything except gaming. I would defiantly go with the BenQ though if you are a gamer.

Prodigal19

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

I had the A01 revision. The speculation was just from one post on another forum, so it can probably be ignored.

The current revision of the Dell 2408WFP (A01) has been tested to have an average input lag of 32ms which is down from 50ms (I think) of the A00 version. This is on par with my NEC LCD2690WUXi.

Here's the review:
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-dell-2408wfp.html#Introduction

And this is the page where the testing was done:
http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-dell-2408wfp-part14.html#Lag

32ms is only 2 frames of lag, but you may be able to tell the difference. For example, I've played Fallout 3 on my 2690WUXi (H-IPS panel) and on my Asus VK246H (TN panel) is an auxiliary monitor for my HTPC. After playing on the Asus for a prolonged period of time, I find that it takes a few minutes to re-adjust back to my 2690WUXi.

The Asus definitely has lower input lag. How much? Don't know. Which monitor do I prefer using? The NEC even for gaming.