Cannot use recovery drive.

Hi.

I have a dv6 series laptop. I can browse through the recovery drive but when i press the recovery key at start up, nothing happens.

P.S. My lappy came installed with Win XP and i installed Win 7 later. but still the darn recovery should work right? is there a way that i can make it work by hacking the boot record or something?
7 answers Last reply
More about cannot recovery drive
  1. Your recovery partition is most likely for the XP install, what version of W7 did you install by the way 32 or 64?
  2. Thanks for replying. i installed Windows 7 32 bit OS. Yes, the recovery partition is for reinstalling Win XP but i really would like to see it working. the funny thing is all this happened before i could find time to create a recovery disk! so, any help is greatly appreciated.
  3. I think you may be boned, the recovery partition may well only work with the install of XP that your laptop came with.
  4. ur recovery will totally redo the system its a built in feature otherwise reinstall xp then recover... Put in the win 7 disk to use win 7 recovery but otherwise most laptops have it built in to recover to factory
  5. try hitting f1,f2,f3, etc at startup asoon as u turn it on till u see the screen an i dont mean the safemode or bootscreen it should have its own branded one
  6. chillaxinb4u said:
    try hitting f1,f2,f3, etc at startup asoon as u turn it on till u see the screen an i dont mean the safemode or bootscreen it should have its own branded one

i tried this nothing happens. :(
  7. chillaxinb4u said:
    most laptops have it built in to recover to factory

this is exactly what i am talking about. the default factory method is not working.

I suspect that due to installing Win 7, the recovery partition got corrupt.

Isn't there anyone with similar experince or any HP engineer who can help me with this problem. I had a similar problem in my previous laptop. i let that one slide. but i really want to get this working. Experts please help.

thank you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hewlett Packard Data Recovery Computers