Problem installing programs as admin and limited user...

July 28, 2005 2:59:33 PM

Hi,

On my PC at home I'm set up as an administrator and my son as a limited
user. He cannot install programs under his user name. If I install
programs using my account - sometimes he get's them on his account and
sometimes not.

I need to know how to install programs for everybody, just me, or just a
limited user.

Could somebody steer me towards the information I need. I looked under the
Help section and it all seem too basic for what I need.

Thanks, Jennifer.
July 28, 2005 7:58:26 PM

"Jennifer W" <jenniferw@beyonddoubt.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On my PC at home I'm set up as an administrator and my son as a limited
> user. He cannot install programs under his user name. If I install
> programs using my account - sometimes he get's them on his account and
> sometimes not.
>
> I need to know how to install programs for everybody, just me, or just a
> limited user.
>
> Could somebody steer me towards the information I need. I looked under
> the Help section and it all seem too basic for what I need.

This problem stems from authors not writing their programs or installers
properly. A good installer should not require full administration rights,
just installation rights. And the installer itself should also ask which
accounts are permitted access to the installed software. Sadly, few do; most
only install into the current user account or, worse, the all users account.
Even those that do make the offer will limit the offer to just the current
user or all users.

Although it will become a requirement in the next version of Windows, the
best solution in the meantime is to install the software into an
adminstrator account (or an account with installation pirvileges) and then
manually copy the shell icons and Application Data folders to the individual
relevent user accounts.

Sometimes you can temporarily elevate user privileges to administrator and
install the software separately for each relevent account but, more often
than not, the second installation will simply detect the first and only
offer to uninstall or maintain the existing installation.
!