Can Upgrade load as full?

July 28, 2005 12:01:02 PM

I have just purchased a copy of Windows XP Home Upgrade. What I wanted, I am
afraid, is a full version! Will this run as a blank load, or do I have to
have one of the prior versions of windows loaded. I know this might seem
obvious but before I figure out how to change my software I thought I would
ask.

More about : upgrade load full

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 2:31:08 PM

You must have either the Install CD from a qualifying version in hand or
a qualifying version installed.

David wrote:

> I have just purchased a copy of Windows XP Home Upgrade. What I wanted, I am
> afraid, is a full version! Will this run as a blank load, or do I have to
> have one of the prior versions of windows loaded. I know this might seem
> obvious but before I figure out how to change my software I thought I would
> ask.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 4:22:15 PM

Hi David,

You can also perofrm a clean install with an upgrade version of Windows XP. During the setup you
will be prompted to insert the media of a compatible previous version of Windows. Keep your Windows
98 etc disk handy during setup.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>I have just purchased a copy of Windows XP Home Upgrade. What I wanted, I am
> afraid, is a full version! Will this run as a blank load, or do I have to
> have one of the prior versions of windows loaded. I know this might seem
> obvious but before I figure out how to change my software I thought I would
> ask.
Related resources
July 28, 2005 8:08:28 PM

> I have just purchased a copy of Windows XP Home Upgrade. What I wanted, I
am
> afraid, is a full version! Will this run as a blank load, or do I have to
> have one of the prior versions of windows loaded. I know this might seem
> obvious but before I figure out how to change my software I thought I
would
> ask.

You can do a clean install with an Upgrade copy of XP. What will happen is
at an early stage in the setup, you will be asked to insert the CD
containing the qualifying media. When XP setup has satisfied itself that the
media is indeed a qualifier, it will ask you to remove the CD and replace
the XP CD. Setup should then continue as normal.
July 28, 2005 8:08:29 PM

So I do need the prior version of windows CD. Dang, I need to exchange this
software for the full version CD.

"Gordon" wrote:

> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have just purchased a copy of Windows XP Home Upgrade. What I wanted, I
> am
> > afraid, is a full version! Will this run as a blank load, or do I have to
> > have one of the prior versions of windows loaded. I know this might seem
> > obvious but before I figure out how to change my software I thought I
> would
> > ask.
>
> You can do a clean install with an Upgrade copy of XP. What will happen is
> at an early stage in the setup, you will be asked to insert the CD
> containing the qualifying media. When XP setup has satisfied itself that the
> media is indeed a qualifier, it will ask you to remove the CD and replace
> the XP CD. Setup should then continue as normal.

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 8:08:30 PM

In news:7B73F86C-79CB-49BB-851F-6B195E51DEA9@microsoft.com,
David <David@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> So I do need the prior version of windows CD. Dang, I need to
> exchange this software for the full version CD.

It's probably considerably cheaper to buy a used version of
Windows 98 someplace like eBay.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have just purchased a copy of Windows XP Home Upgrade.
>>> What I
>>> wanted, I am afraid, is a full version! Will this run as a
>>> blank
>>> load, or do I have to have one of the prior versions of
>>> windows
>>> loaded. I know this might seem obvious but before I figure
>>> out how
>>> to change my software I thought I would ask.
>>
>> You can do a clean install with an Upgrade copy of XP. What
>> will
>> happen is at an early stage in the setup, you will be asked to
>> insert the CD containing the qualifying media. When XP setup
>> has
>> satisfied itself that the media is indeed a qualifier, it will
>> ask
>> you to remove the CD and replace the XP CD. Setup should then
>> continue as normal.
July 28, 2005 8:33:55 PM

> So I do need the prior version of windows CD. Dang, I need to exchange
this
> software for the full version CD.

If Windows 98 is still installed on your machine you can still do a clean
install AFAIK......
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:35:31 PM

David wrote:
> I have just purchased a copy of Windows XP Home Upgrade. What I wanted, I am
> afraid, is a full version! Will this run as a blank load, or do I have to
> have one of the prior versions of windows loaded. I know this might seem
> obvious but before I figure out how to change my software I thought I would
> ask.

It's possible to perform a clean installation using the Upgrade CD,
provided you have the true installation CD for the earlier OS.

Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
"Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm