Is it damaged?

chssvl

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004
I recently bought a 512MB stick of PC 2100 DDR ram brand X(it says elixir on the chips). i own a MSI KT3 ultra ARU motherboard with an Athlon XP 2400+ processor and another 2 256MB chips (one brand Markvision and the other brand X). I installed this new stick on the thrd slot and started up the PC. Windows was loading well, I was already seeing the mouse cursor when the PC rebootyed itself (without copletely booting up) and after that when it tried to start I got the blue screen of theath. Tried several times and finally ran CHKDSK and it finally started but I had to remove the new RAM. Furthermore, the slot where I installed this memory doesn't work anymore (tried with the other sticks and they didn't work with that slot) and now when I put the new stick on one of the "working" slots the PC doesn't even start to boot. And I don't get the memory error beeps. Once I remove it everything is back to normal.

Is this memory dead?

EDIT New developments:

#1. the memory brand is viking
#2. I wa strying different combinatios and I found this which is quite interesting. When I tried the new memory alone it didn't boot. I didn't even get the BIOS screen. But when I tried it in slot #2 and the markvision on slot #1 it booted up but upong starting up windows it re-booted automatically. However, the bios analysis of the memory says that all 740.000+KB of memory are OK. But when I placed the new memory on slot 1 and the markvision on slot 2 I didn't even get the bios screen again.

Could it be that this memory just isn't compatible with my mobo?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by chssvl on 08/07/05 10:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not likely incompatable, more likely to be defective. There's a lot of defective memory out there, chances are if the price seemed "too good to be true" it's made from bad chips.

Yes, companies use bad chips for some modules. Usually fly-by-night operations buying low grade chips, having the RAM made, selling it...and possibly disappearing afterward. It wouldn't surprise me if they even conterfeited brand labels.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

chssvl

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004
The price was normal. U$40 or so at www.newegg.com. And what about the damaged 3rd memory slot? Ccould a defective memory damage it?

chssvl

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004
Jut did. Errors all over the screen. i guess that's that. *sigh*. Not sure if I'll be able to claim the warranty as a friend of mine brough it to me from the US.