Audigy 2 ZS or built in

mediocer

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004
I have a new comp with an intel 945 chipset that has built in sound and capable of 7.1, HD sound in 7.1 setting.
From my old comp i have an Audigy 2 ZS.

<font color=red>What would be better to use?</font color=red>

<font color=blue>Is having a sound card like a having a graphics card, the card does the work?</font color=blue>

Thanks for the knowledge.

Mediocer

<font color=red>Expert user</font color=red>, <font color=orange>Novice questions</font color=orange>. :tongue:
<i>Dual Core 3.2 - BFG 7800 GTX OC</i>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
The audigy will use slightly less CPU (but we're talking ~1% with today's processor speeds), and will probably sound better, but it may not be noticeable.

I'd use the onboard sound, but listen critically to it - then install the Audigy and use whichever gives you the better sound.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

RichPLS

Champion
Yes, but onboard sound has gotten really good today, and it satifies me nicely.
I have a SB Audigy sitting in anti-static wrap as a result.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

teecee

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
Sound Cards are more like modems. Some do all the work, some don't. It is very possible that both options you are looking at are rely on your CPU for various tasks that a more professional card would do on-board.

However, if you are talking about playing games or watching movies, I would not be concerned with the CPU usage or sound quality differences between either of these options and any other prodduct out there. If you are working on music or maybe video, I wouldn't use either of these options.

You probably want to stick with what you have built into the motherboard.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you want to sell it for very very cheap and save yourself a big chunk of space on the shelf?

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

schuy1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
I belive its all prefference. Whomever told you to listen to them both and decide is correct. I personally feel creative labs did a teriffic job with the Audigy2 series. I own/use a a2zs, love it. Plus it supports the new EAX features coming out in the more popular games. Also I think that mediasource for the audigy2 series is the best media player around. Those are just my thoughts on it.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
yeah, i agree: it's all about the preference. if you're on a tight budget, onboard is fine especially if you have a MB with the nVidia chipeset with SoundStorm.

personally, i tend to think a separate sound card has better quality (though I have yet to experience this) just because it's a separate PCI card, and i've heard crap onboard audio on various PC's in the past. but again, this all depends on your preference and whether or not you're satisfied with onboard audio.

Mullet

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
A soundcard is likely to increase frame rates as well as improve sound quality but it will cost you. Depending on your CPU it may be wise to just use onboard and pawn your Sound blaster.

<A HREF="http://alienwaregiveaway.co.uk/index.php?referral=10420" target="_new">Alienware Giveaway</A>

schuy1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
Umm the Zs2 is good, but I replaced it with a X-Fi extreme music, and trust me it rocks @$$ compared to the Zs2, the sound is amazing, music movies , games, creation, its awsome.