Tungsten C and corrupted MAC address

October 7, 2004 6:32:17 AM

Hope someone can help me. The MAC address on my firmware doesn't match that
on the back of the device. Thus, I can't install upgrade 3, nor can I surf
or do email.

If you know of a way to fix this, through an available patch or otherwise,
please reply off list. The device is out of warranty, so that's not an
option.

Thanks.

--
michael
Anonymous

"michael" <heyps@sbcglobal.net> aszonygya:
:
:If you know of a way to fix this, through an available patch or otherwise,
:p lease reply off list. The device is out of warranty, so that's not an
:o ption.

In principle, Palm should fix it for free even if it is out of warranty. You
may want to ask them. However, read on...

Buy a new TC. Even, if it were under warranty, this would be your best bet.
Mine had to be replaced 4 times till Palm got it right, and it was under
warranty. I know a guy who will send back his 5th replacement TC to Palm.

BTW, if your TC works just fine, then forget the upgrade. If it ain't broke...

/PaulN
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 8:54:23 PM

This is a known issue, In fact, when you go to the latest updates info page,
They specifically say DO NOT INSTALL IT and contact them for a fix. Here is
an excerpt of the installation instructions
START
Ensure that your Tungsten C handheld has the same MAC address as the one
located on the rear of the unit by following these steps:
1.. From the Launcher on your Tungsten C select 'Prefs'.
2.. From the 'Prefs' Panel choose 'Wi-Fi'.
3.. Select 'Info' from the bottom of the Wi-Fi screen.
4.. Next to MAC Address there is a 12 character ID, This should match the
number on the rear of your device.
5.. If the MAC Address does not match the MAC label on the rear END
Gotta LOVE those instructions!!!

"michael" <heyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hope someone can help me. The MAC address on my firmware doesn't match
that
> on the back of the device. Thus, I can't install upgrade 3, nor can I
surf
> or do email.
>
> If you know of a way to fix this, through an available patch or otherwise,
> please reply off list. The device is out of warranty, so that's not an
> option.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> michael

October 9, 2004 1:15:14 AM

"michael" <heyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<RU19d.14807$Qv5.10080@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
> Hope someone can help me. The MAC address on my firmware doesn't match that
> on the back of the device. Thus, I can't install upgrade 3, nor can I surf
> or do email.
>
> If you know of a way to fix this, through an available patch or otherwise,
> please reply off list. The device is out of warranty, so that's not an
> option.

Replying "off list" won't help a lot of folks, and from what I've been
reading, there are a lot of folks needing help with this-myself
included.

My TC's MAC address has completely vanished. I mean I don't even have
the twelve zeroes-it's GONE. I've e-mailed Palm One a couple of times
but have yet to hear back from them. Frankly, if all they're going to
do is what I've heard they do-swap my unit out for a "refurbished" one
that'll probably be in worse shape, that may be just as well.

I saw an earlier thread where someone claimed that the problem of the
3.0 update not running on a machine with this problem could be worked
around by deleting the file WifiPanel_Wpnl-panl-a68k from "TC memory,"
as he put it, after backing it up to an SD card. He didn't specify
whether he meant to remove it from RAM or flash ROM, or what he used
to do it, and he either didn't give a valid e-mail address or
neglected to tell us what to add to or drop from it to correct his
antispam munge, so I wasn't able to ask him. I already know Filez
doesn't work, because I've tried it. Anyone have an idea as to
whether this shows any promise, and what I should get my hands on to
delete the file?

My TC has only a couple of months to go on its warranty, so unless I
can be sure Palm will swap it for a new one, I'll probably just live
without Wi-Fi, at least until I can swing a replacement, if there's no
way I can fix this myself. I only used it for hotsynching anyway.

And unless you're a spambot, you can reach me at grapevine.net by
putting jlparker followed by an "at"sign in front of it.
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 3:24:54 PM

kcutccbfoon@mailinator.com wrote:

>"michael" <heyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<RU19d.14807$Qv5.10080@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
>> Hope someone can help me. The MAC address on my firmware doesn't match that
>> on the back of the device. Thus, I can't install upgrade 3, nor can I surf
>> or do email.
>>
>> If you know of a way to fix this, through an available patch or otherwise,
>> please reply off list. The device is out of warranty, so that's not an
>> option.
>
>Replying "off list" won't help a lot of folks, and from what I've been
>reading, there are a lot of folks needing help with this-myself
>included.
>
>My TC's MAC address has completely vanished. I mean I don't even have
>the twelve zeroes-it's GONE. I've e-mailed Palm One a couple of times
>but have yet to hear back from them. Frankly, if all they're going to
>do is what I've heard they do-swap my unit out for a "refurbished" one
>that'll probably be in worse shape, that may be just as well.
Mine is still there but has now reset itself to the 00:E0:18:00:00:00
variant.
I know for 100% sure that it was fine in July (when I first looked at
applying the 3.0 update). I didn't do it then because I was waiting
for the non-US version.
I just downloaded the 3.0 international version ... ran it (but didn't
check my MAC address) and it told me that the radio module was
corrupt.
I now see that the MAC is reset (as above). However, I don't know for
100% sure whether it could have been the Update that zapped it (I
doubt it) or something in last few weeks.
(my first Tungsten C suffered same fate a few weeks after I bought
it).

>I saw an earlier thread where someone claimed that the problem of the
>3.0 update not running on a machine with this problem could be worked
>around by deleting the file WifiPanel_Wpnl-panl-a68k from "TC memory,"
>as he put it, after backing it up to an SD card. He didn't specify
>whether he meant to remove it from RAM or flash ROM, or what he used
>to do it, and he either didn't give a valid e-mail address or
>neglected to tell us what to add to or drop from it to correct his
>antispam munge, so I wasn't able to ask him. I already know Filez
>doesn't work, because I've tried it. Anyone have an idea as to
>whether this shows any promise, and what I should get my hands on to
>delete the file?
I saw that as well and decided to take the chance .. but, like you, I
have not been able to delete that file from T|C RAM.

I presume that Palm have a bit of software that can reset the MAC
address to whatever they want but will not make it available because
people could spoof other machines very easily.
I think I am out of warranty but will contact Palm and see what they
say.

--
Rgds
Paul Webster

"michael" <heyps@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<RU19d.14807$Qv5.10080@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>...
> Hope someone can help me. The MAC address on my firmware doesn't match that
> on the back of the device. Thus, I can't install upgrade 3, nor can I surf
> or do email.
>
> If you know of a way to fix this, through an available patch or otherwise,
> please reply off list. The device is out of warranty, so that's not an
> option.
>
> Thanks.

Hi everybody,

There is indeed a hard and somehow risky way top restore lost MACs.
I've tried this way and recovered 9 of 9 Palm Tungsten C.

I did some investigation and found that "all you need "(!!!) is to
restore data
retained in a serial memory named 24C08.
Of course you also need some knowledge and skillness about electronic
SMD chips.
If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, sorry but it's better
if you don't try this
procedure.( But usually there is always a friend of a friend of yours
who can…)

Let's go.
Unscrew and open your Palm ( not of your hand !!).
Find the memory chip (8 pin SMD) located on the WIFI PCB module .
Desolder pins 1,2,3,4 (one side of the chip) to have them free from
copper tracks.
Link pins 1,2,3,4 and also the common ground of the WIFI module to a
memory programmer
that you previously setup to program a 24C08 memory.
Of course you need a very tiny wire and a good small soldering tool to
accomplish the task
and probably the help of a lens, but I found it not too difficult,
even without special SMD tools.
In this EEPROM there are several data used by the radio module and
when something goes wrong
all data are screwed up, not only MAC Address.
To restore data you need a valid, clean image of this memory, got
before disaster.
All the Palms I treated had the same data in memory (except the unique
MAC Address), so you
can use a memory dump taken from another working radio module.
I can provide a valid file via email if required.

So now you have a file of a good memory dump . Use some file editor
(e.g. hexedit) to write
the lost MAC Address starting at the address (hex) 11C.
E.g. MAC Address to restore :
0007 E012 3456
Bytes must be swapped so starting from 11C type : 0700 12E0
5634

You can type in any MAC you want, there is no check about it, but
it's not really a good idea
to hack this data.

Save the file and run your programmer. Write memory, verify written
data and go back resoldering
pins 1.2.3.4 to PCB copper tracks. Be careful to avoid any kind of
short between tracks and/or pins,
cross your fingers and power up again the Palm.

That's all folks.

I was not able to find a software approach to solve the MAC Address
problem, I know this way is
somehow complicated but…
Of course you can face the same problem again and again, this is just
a recovery not a patch!!

Few days ago I tried the upgrade 3 of Palms OS and it seems to me that
they have really change
something in communication between radio module (BTW, built by ASUS)
and Palm OS.
"Maybe" from now on the problem is over. I need at least some weeks
of field tests.

Bye
Mario.
!