Upgrading to XP from 98 and viruses

I have had viruses on my Windows 98 machine, that I have cleaned up through
ad ware and spy ware software - again. I would like to upgrade to Windows
XP. Can these viruses reappear when the new OS is up and running (assuming
no new ones infect via Windows XP.
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrading viruses

    It is not a good idea to upgrade a system that might still be infected. An upgrade would
    not clean up the problems. I would suggest a clean install of Windows XP, swapping your
    Windows 98 CD when asked for proof of upgrade eligibility, giving the path to that CD, and
    when upgrade eligibility has been confirmed swapping back to the Windows XP Upgrade CD to
    continue the install. Since it would be a clean install, back up any data files that you
    would not want to lose. Also, since it is a Windows 98 system, are you sure that the
    hardware/software/utilities/etc. are Windows XP compatible? Did you run the Windows XP
    Upgrade Advisor? If it turns out that you system is old enough to have some hardware
    components, software, and utilities that are not Windows XP compatible, between the price
    of the Upgrade CD, and other things which you might have to upgrade, you might be better
    off buying a $699 Dell special of a week, on a week where flat panel screens, free
    shipping, double memory, and CDR/CD-RW or DVD drives are given as freebies. I cannot
    imagine trying to run Windows XP SP2 on an older Windows 98 system.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    "GMM" <GMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have had viruses on my Windows 98 machine, that I have cleaned up through
    > ad ware and spy ware software - again. I would like to upgrade to Windows
    > XP. Can these viruses reappear when the new OS is up and running (assuming
    > no new ones infect via Windows XP.

    So you have gotten to my dilemma. Should I try to upgrade my system or just
    buy an new one and start a clean slate? My anti virus and anti spy ware
    programs indicate that my system is clean, but I still can't get IE to work.
    It just hangs. So that's why I suspect my system still has some lingering
    affects.

    Thanks.

    GMM wrote:
    > I have had viruses on my Windows 98 machine, that I have cleaned up
    > through ad ware and spy ware software - again. I would like to
    > upgrade to Windows XP. Can these viruses reappear when the new OS is
    > up and running (assuming no new ones infect via Windows XP.

    If you have had real viruses, and you only used Anti-Spyware tools to
    clean up, then your computer is very likely still infected.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    I am running McAfee Internet Security Suite, Spy Bot Search and Destroy,
    Spyware Doctor and Ad-aware personal. If, as you suggest, I still have
    viruses, will viruses carry over during an upgrade in OS?

    In news:C1EDF396-EF3F-4E63-B87B-BDB8781E7A42@microsoft.com,
    GMM <GMM@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I am running McAfee Internet Security Suite, Spy Bot Search and
    > Destroy, Spyware Doctor and Ad-aware personal. If, as you
    > suggest,
    > I still have viruses, will viruses carry over during an upgrade
    > in OS?

    If the upgrade is successful, yes the viruses will likely still
    be there. However upgrading an infected machine is a very bad
    thing to do. It will likely not be successful and you may end up
    with a machine you can't even boot.

    You should be sure you are virus-free and spyware-free before
    upgrading. If you running the software you list above, it sounds
    like you should be OK.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "kurttrail" wrote:
    >
    >> GMM wrote:
    >>> I have had viruses on my Windows 98 machine, that I have
    >>> cleaned up
    >>> through ad ware and spy ware software - again. I would like
    >>> upgrade to Windows XP. Can these viruses reappear when the
    >>> new OS
    >>> is up and running (assuming no new ones infect via Windows
    >>> XP.
    >>
    >> If you have had real viruses, and you only used Anti-Spyware
    >> tools to
    >> clean up, then your computer is very likely still infected.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an
    >> Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    YES! You could still have viruses if your are just upgrading to XP. If you
    were going to re-format your harddrive, then the viruses may be cleared out.

    Also, during your upgrade to XP, you must un-install your anti-virus and
    disconnect your PC from the Internet. Once you have completed the upgrade,
    re-install your anti-virus utility and activate a firewall BEFORE you
    re-connect to the Internet.

    GMM wrote:
    > I am running McAfee Internet Security Suite, Spy Bot Search and
    > Destroy, Spyware Doctor and Ad-aware personal. If, as you suggest,
    > I still have viruses, will viruses carry over during an upgrade in OS?

    No, the magical upgrade pixies remove them.

    Of course the viruses will carry over if not properly cleaned up. Why
    in the world would you think they wouldn't?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    On this date, =?Utf-8?B?R01N?= extended this wisdom for
    the
    consideration of other readers...

    > I am running McAfee Internet Security Suite, Spy Bot
    > and Destroy, Spyware Doctor and Ad-aware personal.
    If, as
    > you suggest, I still have viruses, will viruses carry
    over
    > during an upgrade in OS?

    Virses or not, you are /much/ better off nuking your HD
    and doing a clean install of XP. Problems with the
    install will be virtually nil and you won't have the
    overhead of a bloated and partially corrupt registry to
    bug you.

    Of course, back up everything, the do the deed.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry

    If you purchased the system with Windows 98 installed on it, the system is probably about
    7 years old? The speed of the CPU is probably on the very low end of what I would
    consider acceptable for Windows XP. If you have not installed a new hard drive during the
    time you have had the system, the drive probably will not last much longer, and probably
    does not have enough storage space for Windows XP and other things that you will be
    wanting to do with Windows XP. Other components are probably corroding and getting ready
    to fail. The speed of the memory modules and BUS are probably slow. You do not have USB
    2 ports (much faster than USB 1.1). PC years are faster than dog years. Expect a life of
    maybe 5-6 years. Some of your utilities will probably not work with Windows XP. Some of
    your Windows 98 peripherals (printer/scanner/etc.) might not have Windows XP drivers, and
    might be orphaned. If you are asking my personal opinion, being halfway through 2005, I
    would not spend the money, time and effort to try to upgrade an old Windows 98 system to
    Windows XP. Like I said in my previous post, DELL has weekly online specials. Some weeks
    offer more freebies than others. A few weeks ago, a client hit the jackpot: The special
    was: Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor, free double memory, free upgrade to a 17" flat panel
    monitor, free upgrade to an 80 GB hard drive, free upgrade to CDR/CD-RW, free shipping,
    free upgrade to a three year warranty, and an instant $100 rebate. The total package came
    to about $699, with an option to finance through Dell (if needed) interest free for a
    year. Each week the specials/freebies change. If you can wait until you get a deal close
    to the one above, I would jump on it. Consider your old system to be like an old car.
    You can put money into it. But, it will still be an old car, not really capable of what
    you want it to do, and constantly needing repairs. You would be spending for the Windows
    XP upgrade CD, then soon a new hard drive, more memory (Windows XP is a memory hog). If
    you have a CD burner, the software will probably not be Windows XP compatible, so you
    would have to purchase a new XP compatible version) If you have your original Windows 98
    compatible antivirus software, chances are it will not be compatible with Windows XP. I
    could go on, but you get the idea. Aside from all that I have previously mentioned,
    Windows XP will run extremely slow on a system that old.
    --

    > So you have gotten to my dilemma. Should I try to upgrade my system or just
    > buy an new one and start a clean slate? My anti virus and anti spy ware
    > programs indicate that my system is clean, but I still can't get IE to work.
    > It just hangs. So that's why I suspect my system still has some lingering
    > affects.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > In re
    > "t.cruise" wrote:
    >
    > > It is not a good idea to upgrade a system that might still be infected. An upgrade
    would
    > > not clean up the problems. I would suggest a clean install of Windows XP, swapping
    your
    > > Windows 98 CD when asked for proof of upgrade eligibility, giving the path to that CD,
    and
    > > when upgrade eligibility has been confirmed swapping back to the Windows XP Upgrade CD
    > > continue the install. Since it would be a clean install, back up any data files that
    you
    > > would not want to lose. Also, since it is a Windows 98 system, are you sure that the
    > > hardware/software/utilities/etc. are Windows XP compatible? Did you run the Windows
    XP
    > > Upgrade Advisor? If it turns out that you system is old enough to have some hardware
    > > components, software, and utilities that are not Windows XP compatible, between the
    price
    > > of the Upgrade CD, and other things which you might have to upgrade, you might be
    better
    > > off buying a $699 Dell special of a week, on a week where flat panel screens, free
    > > shipping, double memory, and CDR/CD-RW or DVD drives are given as freebies. I cannot
    > > imagine trying to run Windows XP SP2 on an older Windows 98 system.
    > > --
    > >
    > > T.C.
    > > t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
    > > Remove [NoSpam] to reply
    > >

    > > "GMM" <GMM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have had viruses on my Windows 98 machine, that I have cleaned up through
    > > > ad ware and spy ware software - again. I would like to upgrade to Windows
    > > > XP. Can these viruses reappear when the new OS is up and running (assuming
    > > > no new ones infect via Windows XP.

    You did not give us any specs of your system so we cannot offer advice re
    buying a new system.
    I have a 2nd machine an older AMD 1.4 machine with 512 of DDR memory running
    XP nicely.
    as to your virus problem if you wish to be sure the little buggers are gone
    format the HD with a 98 boot disk.
    Then install XP fresh...............but check the requirements on the XP
    website first to see if your system matches and run the upgrade advisor.
    peterk

    the problem

Windows 98 Microsoft Windows XP