ggarret1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
Hi, I am having a problem bench marking my hard drives. I have a Maxtor 6 l200M0 on SATA, a Maxtor 6b300R0 on Primary IDE and WDC WD1200BB as IDE slave. I downloaded Performance Test, Fresh Diagnostics and Sandra Bench32. (I found the link to your illustrious group on the Performance Test site.)

Fresh Diagnostics shows my average read speed as over a gigabyte per second on both my SATA and IDE drives. This reading seems just a teeny bit high! Performance Test shows my sequential read at about 900 Mbytes per second on both my SATA and IDE drives. I am also getting ridiculously high readings on random seeks.

Sandra shows my max read on the SATA at 51 Mbytes/sec and 18 Mbytes/sec on my IDE. This might be realistic, though I had hopped for a little better performance from UDMA6. However, Sandra shows my max write on the SATA at 107 Mbytes/sec and Max write on IDE at 59 Mbytes/sec. I don’t see why my write speed should be two or three times my read speed. I don’t think I believe those numbers either.

I’m thinking, on my system, maybe the software is reading from some kinda’ cache or buffer or something and mistaking that for a HD read. I have a MSI ATX Mainboard PT880 Neo Series dual channel DDR with a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor.

Is there some setting I need to change in Windows or the Bios to get a real reading? Also, do you guys know of any other good bench mark software?

Thanks.

ggarret1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
Thanks Wuzy,

HD tack is giving me believable results. Suprisingly, my IDE drive seems to perform a little better than my SATA. My OS is running on the SATA so perhaps the OS accessing the drive is affecting the results.