Sandisk Cruzer not recognized - SOLUTION

I received a reply from Sandisk (after 2 weeks of try this and that) with a
solution - at least for me.

Here is the registry edit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentContolSet\Enum\USB\VID_0781&PID_7101 and/or
VID_0000

Reboot and insert the Cruzer. I had success with my 256 MiniCruzer.

Make sure that you have permissions to delete the keys, export the keys
(just in case).

Hope this helps!!
8 answers Last reply
More about sandisk cruzer recognized solution

    I looked in my registry and I had the entries, but with a number of
    sub-entries. Do you remember exactly what you editted?

    "JustUs" wrote:

    > I received a reply from Sandisk (after 2 weeks of try this and that) with a
    > solution - at least for me.
    >
    > Here is the registry edit:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentContolSet\Enum\USB\VID_0781&PID_7101 and/or
    > VID_0000
    >
    > Reboot and insert the Cruzer. I had success with my 256 MiniCruzer.
    >
    > Make sure that you have permissions to delete the keys, export the keys
    > (just in case).
    >
    > Hope this helps!!

    Everything that is sub to they two keys mentioned can be removed/deleted.
    However.....ALWAYS backup the registry before you make any changes. At least,
    export the two entries. Restart your computer, insert your device and
    hopefully all should be OK. I also deleted Vid781&PID5150 as it referenced my
    device. As I understand it, you may have all, part, or none of these entries.
    The 0000 and the 5150 were recreated when I rebooted, but the 7101 did not
    return. Hope this helps.

    "Tim Riley" wrote:

    > I looked in my registry and I had the entries, but with a number of
    > sub-entries. Do you remember exactly what you editted?
    >
    > "JustUs" wrote:
    >
    > > I received a reply from Sandisk (after 2 weeks of try this and that) with a
    > > solution - at least for me.
    > >
    > > Here is the registry edit:
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentContolSet\Enum\USB\VID_0781&PID_7101 and/or
    > > VID_0000
    > >
    > > Reboot and insert the Cruzer. I had success with my 256 MiniCruzer.
    > >
    > > Make sure that you have permissions to delete the keys, export the keys
    > > (just in case).
    > >
    > > Hope this helps!!

    Okay, this is really stupid but I can't delete any of the entries. I get an
    error that I can't delete the entry for 7101. If I uninstall the device the
    entry is removed and I can delete the ...\class\ entry. However, as soon as
    I restart my machine and plug in the cruzer the entries return and everything
    returns to the SOS. Any ideas?

    "JustUs" wrote:

    > Everything that is sub to they two keys mentioned can be removed/deleted.
    > However.....ALWAYS backup the registry before you make any changes. At least,
    > export the two entries. Restart your computer, insert your device and
    > hopefully all should be OK. I also deleted Vid781&PID5150 as it referenced my
    > device. As I understand it, you may have all, part, or none of these entries.
    > The 0000 and the 5150 were recreated when I rebooted, but the 7101 did not
    > return. Hope this helps.
    >
    > "Tim Riley" wrote:
    >
    > > I looked in my registry and I had the entries, but with a number of
    > > sub-entries. Do you remember exactly what you editted?
    > >
    > > "JustUs" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I received a reply from Sandisk (after 2 weeks of try this and that) with a
    > > > solution - at least for me.
    > > >
    > > > Here is the registry edit:
    > > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentContolSet\Enum\USB\VID_0781&PID_7101 and/or
    > > > VID_0000
    > > >
    > > > Reboot and insert the Cruzer. I had success with my 256 MiniCruzer.
    > > >
    > > > Make sure that you have permissions to delete the keys, export the keys
    > > > (just in case).
    > > >
    > > > Hope this helps!!

    Right click on the entry, go to permissions and make sure that you have
    permission to delete that entry.

    "Tim Riley" wrote:

    > Okay, this is really stupid but I can't delete any of the entries. I get an
    > error that I can't delete the entry for 7101. If I uninstall the device the
    > entry is removed and I can delete the ...\class\ entry. However, as soon as
    > I restart my machine and plug in the cruzer the entries return and everything
    > returns to the SOS. Any ideas?
    >
    > "JustUs" wrote:
    >
    > > Everything that is sub to they two keys mentioned can be removed/deleted.
    > > However.....ALWAYS backup the registry before you make any changes. At least,
    > > export the two entries. Restart your computer, insert your device and
    > > hopefully all should be OK. I also deleted Vid781&PID5150 as it referenced my
    > > device. As I understand it, you may have all, part, or none of these entries.
    > > The 0000 and the 5150 were recreated when I rebooted, but the 7101 did not
    > > return. Hope this helps.
    > >
    > > "Tim Riley" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I looked in my registry and I had the entries, but with a number of
    > > > sub-entries. Do you remember exactly what you editted?

    Nope. Deleted the entries, rebooted the machine, checked for entries (found
    none), inserted cruzer, machine found and installed it, Windows Explorer saw
    it, I clicked on it and got the message, "Please insert a disk in drive J:".
    I checked the registry and all of the entries were back. Anything sound
    familiar to your problem?

    "JustUs" wrote:

    > Right click on the entry, go to permissions and make sure that you have
    > permission to delete that entry.
    >
    > "Tim Riley" wrote:
    >
    > > Okay, this is really stupid but I can't delete any of the entries. I get an
    > > error that I can't delete the entry for 7101. If I uninstall the device the
    > > entry is removed and I can delete the ...\class\ entry. However, as soon as
    > > I restart my machine and plug in the cruzer the entries return and everything
    > > returns to the SOS. Any ideas?
    > >
    > > "JustUs" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Everything that is sub to they two keys mentioned can be removed/deleted.
    > > > However.....ALWAYS backup the registry before you make any changes. At least,
    > > > export the two entries. Restart your computer, insert your device and
    > > > hopefully all should be OK. I also deleted Vid781&PID5150 as it referenced my
    > > > device. As I understand it, you may have all, part, or none of these entries.
    > > > The 0000 and the 5150 were recreated when I rebooted, but the 7101 did not
    > > > return. Hope this helps.

    Not sure what you are saying. If Windows Explorer sees the drive then there
    was success. That is the problem I had was that Windows Explorer would not
    see the device. The entries do reappear. The Vid781&PID_7101 DID NOT. I have
    a Cruzer 256mb.

    Make sure that your drive is formatted and/or reformat.

    Your problem may not be exactly the same as mine and others.

    Contact SanDisk. Be persistent and very explicit with your problem. It took
    about 8 emails before they finally came with the registry edit.

    "Tim Riley" wrote:

    > Nope. Deleted the entries, rebooted the machine, checked for entries (found
    > none), inserted cruzer, machine found and installed it, Windows Explorer saw
    > it, I clicked on it and got the message, "Please insert a disk in drive J:".
    > I checked the registry and all of the entries were back. Anything sound
    > familiar to your problem?
    >
    > "JustUs" wrote:
    >
    > > Right click on the entry, go to permissions and make sure that you have
    > > permission to delete that entry.
    > >
    > > "Tim Riley" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Okay, this is really stupid but I can't delete any of the entries. I get an
    > > > error that I can't delete the entry for 7101. If I uninstall the device the
    > > > entry is removed and I can delete the ...\class\ entry. However, as soon as
    > > > I restart my machine and plug in the cruzer the entries return and everything
    > > > returns to the SOS. Any ideas?

    The disk worked just fine until I applied SP2 on my Dell. Do you know of
    anything that would involve this?

    "JustUs" wrote:

    > Not sure what you are saying. If Windows Explorer sees the drive then there
    > was success. That is the problem I had was that Windows Explorer would not
    > see the device. The entries do reappear. The Vid781&PID_7101 DID NOT. I have
    > a Cruzer 256mb.
    >
    > Make sure that your drive is formatted and/or reformat.
    >
    > Your problem may not be exactly the same as mine and others.
    >
    > Contact SanDisk. Be persistent and very explicit with your problem. It took
    > about 8 emails before they finally came with the registry edit.
    >
    > "Tim Riley" wrote:
    >
    > > Nope. Deleted the entries, rebooted the machine, checked for entries (found
    > > none), inserted cruzer, machine found and installed it, Windows Explorer saw
    > > it, I clicked on it and got the message, "Please insert a disk in drive J:".
    > > I checked the registry and all of the entries were back. Anything sound
    > > familiar to your problem?
    > >
    > > "JustUs" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Right click on the entry, go to permissions and make sure that you have
    > > > permission to delete that entry.

    Some say yes. However, for many, the recognition just stopped as it did for
    me. For others, never worked from day one. Still others, after SP2. This is
    not just unique to SanDisk. ZIO, Olympus, Canon, and users of other flash
    media devices report similar problems. Also, note that your device is
    probably recognized within software programs. It will probably show in
    Control Panel/Portable Media Devices as well. You can also try to assign a
    new drive letter.

    ?? Is the device recognized in Explorer if it is inserted and the system
    rebooted?

    Here is another way around. ExplorerXP from www.explorerxp.com. It works for
    all my devices.

Sandisk Microsoft Windows XP