Sandisk Cruzer not recognized - SOLUTION

July 28, 2005 1:49:01 PM

I received a reply from Sandisk (after 2 weeks of try this and that) with a
solution - at least for me.

Here is the registry edit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentContolSet\Enum\USB\VID_0781&PID_7101 and/or
VID_0000

Reboot and insert the Cruzer. I had success with my 256 MiniCruzer.

Make sure that you have permissions to delete the keys, export the keys
(just in case).

Hope this helps!!
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:55:05 AM

I looked in my registry and I had the entries, but with a number of
sub-entries. Do you remember exactly what you editted?

"JustUs" wrote:

> I received a reply from Sandisk (after 2 weeks of try this and that) with a
> solution - at least for me.
>
> Here is the registry edit:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentContolSet\Enum\USB\VID_0781&PID_7101 and/or
> VID_0000
>
> Reboot and insert the Cruzer. I had success with my 256 MiniCruzer.
>
> Make sure that you have permissions to delete the keys, export the keys
> (just in case).
>
> Hope this helps!!
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 10:46:01 PM

Everything that is sub to they two keys mentioned can be removed/deleted.
However.....ALWAYS backup the registry before you make any changes. At least,
export the two entries. Restart your computer, insert your device and
hopefully all should be OK. I also deleted Vid781&PID5150 as it referenced my
device. As I understand it, you may have all, part, or none of these entries.
The 0000 and the 5150 were recreated when I rebooted, but the 7101 did not
return. Hope this helps.

"Tim Riley" wrote:

> I looked in my registry and I had the entries, but with a number of
> sub-entries. Do you remember exactly what you editted?
>
> "JustUs" wrote:
>
> > I received a reply from Sandisk (after 2 weeks of try this and that) with a
> > solution - at least for me.
> >
> > Here is the registry edit:
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentContolSet\Enum\USB\VID_0781&PID_7101 and/or
> > VID_0000
> >
> > Reboot and insert the Cruzer. I had success with my 256 MiniCruzer.
> >
> > Make sure that you have permissions to delete the keys, export the keys
> > (just in case).
> >
> > Hope this helps!!
August 10, 2005 11:14:03 PM

Okay, this is really stupid but I can't delete any of the entries. I get an
error that I can't delete the entry for 7101. If I uninstall the device the
entry is removed and I can delete the ...\class\ entry. However, as soon as
I restart my machine and plug in the cruzer the entries return and everything
returns to the SOS. Any ideas?

"JustUs" wrote:

> Everything that is sub to they two keys mentioned can be removed/deleted.
> However.....ALWAYS backup the registry before you make any changes. At least,
> export the two entries. Restart your computer, insert your device and
> hopefully all should be OK. I also deleted Vid781&PID5150 as it referenced my
> device. As I understand it, you may have all, part, or none of these entries.
> The 0000 and the 5150 were recreated when I rebooted, but the 7101 did not
> return. Hope this helps.
>
> "Tim Riley" wrote:
>
> > I looked in my registry and I had the entries, but with a number of
> > sub-entries. Do you remember exactly what you editted?
> >
> > "JustUs" wrote:
> >
> > > I received a reply from Sandisk (after 2 weeks of try this and that) with a
> > > solution - at least for me.
> > >
> > > Here is the registry edit:
> > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentContolSet\Enum\USB\VID_0781&PID_7101 and/or
> > > VID_0000
> > >
> > > Reboot and insert the Cruzer. I had success with my 256 MiniCruzer.
> > >
> > > Make sure that you have permissions to delete the keys, export the keys
> > > (just in case).
> > >
> > > Hope this helps!!
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:48:01 AM

Right click on the entry, go to permissions and make sure that you have
permission to delete that entry.

"Tim Riley" wrote:

> Okay, this is really stupid but I can't delete any of the entries. I get an
> error that I can't delete the entry for 7101. If I uninstall the device the
> entry is removed and I can delete the ...\class\ entry. However, as soon as
> I restart my machine and plug in the cruzer the entries return and everything
> returns to the SOS. Any ideas?
>
> "JustUs" wrote:
>
> > Everything that is sub to they two keys mentioned can be removed/deleted.
> > However.....ALWAYS backup the registry before you make any changes. At least,
> > export the two entries. Restart your computer, insert your device and
> > hopefully all should be OK. I also deleted Vid781&PID5150 as it referenced my
> > device. As I understand it, you may have all, part, or none of these entries.
> > The 0000 and the 5150 were recreated when I rebooted, but the 7101 did not
> > return. Hope this helps.
> >
> > "Tim Riley" wrote:
> >
> > > I looked in my registry and I had the entries, but with a number of
> > > sub-entries. Do you remember exactly what you editted?

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:42:52 AM

Nope. Deleted the entries, rebooted the machine, checked for entries (found
none), inserted cruzer, machine found and installed it, Windows Explorer saw
it, I clicked on it and got the message, "Please insert a disk in drive J:".
I checked the registry and all of the entries were back. Anything sound
familiar to your problem?

"JustUs" wrote:

> Right click on the entry, go to permissions and make sure that you have
> permission to delete that entry.
>
> "Tim Riley" wrote:
>
> > Okay, this is really stupid but I can't delete any of the entries. I get an
> > error that I can't delete the entry for 7101. If I uninstall the device the
> > entry is removed and I can delete the ...\class\ entry. However, as soon as
> > I restart my machine and plug in the cruzer the entries return and everything
> > returns to the SOS. Any ideas?
> >
> > "JustUs" wrote:
> >
> > > Everything that is sub to they two keys mentioned can be removed/deleted.
> > > However.....ALWAYS backup the registry before you make any changes. At least,
> > > export the two entries. Restart your computer, insert your device and
> > > hopefully all should be OK. I also deleted Vid781&PID5150 as it referenced my
> > > device. As I understand it, you may have all, part, or none of these entries.
> > > The 0000 and the 5150 were recreated when I rebooted, but the 7101 did not
> > > return. Hope this helps.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 12:16:05 PM

Not sure what you are saying. If Windows Explorer sees the drive then there
was success. That is the problem I had was that Windows Explorer would not
see the device. The entries do reappear. The Vid781&PID_7101 DID NOT. I have
a Cruzer 256mb.

Make sure that your drive is formatted and/or reformat.

Your problem may not be exactly the same as mine and others.

Contact SanDisk. Be persistent and very explicit with your problem. It took
about 8 emails before they finally came with the registry edit.

"Tim Riley" wrote:

> Nope. Deleted the entries, rebooted the machine, checked for entries (found
> none), inserted cruzer, machine found and installed it, Windows Explorer saw
> it, I clicked on it and got the message, "Please insert a disk in drive J:".
> I checked the registry and all of the entries were back. Anything sound
> familiar to your problem?
>
> "JustUs" wrote:
>
> > Right click on the entry, go to permissions and make sure that you have
> > permission to delete that entry.
> >
> > "Tim Riley" wrote:
> >
> > > Okay, this is really stupid but I can't delete any of the entries. I get an
> > > error that I can't delete the entry for 7101. If I uninstall the device the
> > > entry is removed and I can delete the ...\class\ entry. However, as soon as
> > > I restart my machine and plug in the cruzer the entries return and everything
> > > returns to the SOS. Any ideas?

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:15:03 PM

The disk worked just fine until I applied SP2 on my Dell. Do you know of
anything that would involve this?

"JustUs" wrote:

> Not sure what you are saying. If Windows Explorer sees the drive then there
> was success. That is the problem I had was that Windows Explorer would not
> see the device. The entries do reappear. The Vid781&PID_7101 DID NOT. I have
> a Cruzer 256mb.
>
> Make sure that your drive is formatted and/or reformat.
>
> Your problem may not be exactly the same as mine and others.
>
> Contact SanDisk. Be persistent and very explicit with your problem. It took
> about 8 emails before they finally came with the registry edit.
>
> "Tim Riley" wrote:
>
> > Nope. Deleted the entries, rebooted the machine, checked for entries (found
> > none), inserted cruzer, machine found and installed it, Windows Explorer saw
> > it, I clicked on it and got the message, "Please insert a disk in drive J:".
> > I checked the registry and all of the entries were back. Anything sound
> > familiar to your problem?
> >
> > "JustUs" wrote:
> >
> > > Right click on the entry, go to permissions and make sure that you have
> > > permission to delete that entry.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 10:36:04 PM

Some say yes. However, for many, the recognition just stopped as it did for
me. For others, never worked from day one. Still others, after SP2. This is
not just unique to SanDisk. ZIO, Olympus, Canon, and users of other flash
media devices report similar problems. Also, note that your device is
probably recognized within software programs. It will probably show in
Control Panel/Portable Media Devices as well. You can also try to assign a
new drive letter.

?? Is the device recognized in Explorer if it is inserted and the system
rebooted?

Here is another way around. ExplorerXP from www.explorerxp.com. It works for
all my devices.

!