SATA and XP installation problems

CountZ

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2005
I recently upgraded to a Seagate 7200.8 w/NCQ SATA drive after using regular ATA drives for years. My mobo is an Albatron PX845PE ProIIS with an integrated Promise Fasttrak 376 SATA RAID controller.

The disk is recognized fine by the controller and allowed me to setup a Raid 1 array using just one disk. I had to do this because my motherboard's bios doesn't have the option of turning on just SATA, you have to enable OnBoard SATA Raid instead.

My problems start when I try to load Windows XP Pro. onto this system. The problems usually vary from a blue error screen to the hard disk not being recognized to failures when copying files over. I used AutoStreamer to slipstream SP2 into my install and I am installing the RAID controller drivers at the startup of every install. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Heres where things get a little more weird. I can install and run Windows 98SE no problem whatsoever. It didn't even require me to install any drivers to do so. I've tried updating from 98 to XP, but still no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I'm at my wits end here.

Thanks in advance and sorry about the lengthy post.

pat

Expert
I'm not sure, but the 376 allow for single drive only operation. might be a jumper on the board. The 276 , to operate a single drive need it to be set as raid0, not 1. So, maybe you should set it this way. Then, download the latest Promise drivers. I know about a batch that were not very good. You then press F6 at the beginning of the install and supply the floppy when asked later.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>