[40k] Eldar Pics on Yahoo Groups

I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd share
my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.

Steve Olk
10 answers Last reply
More about eldar pics yahoo groups

    Steve Olk wrote:
    > I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
    > Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd share
    > my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.

    Question: Why are you painting so clearly after the studio Biel-Tan army?

    Also, I'd recommend that you crop and rotate pictures before posting them.

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <d47cqv$akp$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>, Steve Olk, spo2@case.edu
    Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
    > I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
    > Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd share
    > my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
    >
    > Steve Olk

    I like the look, but I'd suggest a slightly smaller (i.e. narrower)
    brush, and a bit more blending when doing the highlighting on the 'Wave
    Serpent' is it? The same would hold true for your guardians vs your
    Scorpion, - I like the scorpion better as the blending and highlights
    aren't as harsh looking as they are on guardians. I'm guessing you used
    acrylic paints? If so, look into a retarding agent and a 'flow/float'
    aid that would let you blend colors more easily and for a longer time
    period with acrylic paints. On most 28mm figures, a little blending and
    highlighting goes a long way. I do like your 'farseer' in particular.
    You've done a nice job picking out the details and making it stand out
    from the crowd.

    Myrmidon

    #1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how
    much you are going to have to make per year in order to play.

    - Eric Noland

    # 1082. Pound for pound I can buy cocaine cheaper than
    raise a Warhammer army

    - Roy Cox

    http://www.PetitionOnline.com/gwprice/

    ****

    RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

    Or...

  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Steve Olk <spo2@case.edu> wrote in message news:<d47cqv$akp$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>...
    > I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
    > Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd share
    > my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
    >
    > Steve Olk

    Very nicely done - the Wave Serpent almost looks like an acceptable
    part of the Eldar range. I like Elrad a lot and the Scorpion's
    well-done (question, though: why use the new ones? After all, you
    obviously have access to the old Aspects = using old Avengers and new
    Scorps seems to be giving you the worst of both worlds). The Avengers
    don't have much subtlety to the colouring though - the contrasts
    between the blue, white and red are rather glaring.

    Philip Bowles
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    John Hwang <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message news:<nHZ9e.26306$jd6.12640@trnddc07>...
    > Steve Olk wrote:
    > > I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
    > > Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd share
    > > my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
    >
    > Question: Why are you painting so clearly after the studio Biel-Tan army?

    Look at the transfers, John - he obviously wants his army to come from Biel-Tan...

    Philip Bowles
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Philip Bowles wrote:

    > John Hwang <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message
    >> Steve Olk wrote:
    >> > I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the
    >> > folder
    >> > Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd
    >> > share
    >> > my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
    >>
    >> Question: Why are you painting so clearly after the studio Biel-Tan
    >> army?
    >
    > Look at the transfers, John - he obviously wants his army to come from
    > Biel-Tan...
    >
    > Philip Bowles

    Yeah, I want it to come from Biel Tan, and I like the standard color
    schemes. Also, they're not transfers, all the runes are hand painted.

    Steve
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Philip Bowles wrote:

    > Steve Olk <spo2@case.edu> wrote in message
    >> I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
    >> Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd
    >> share
    >> my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
    >>
    >> Steve Olk
    >
    > Very nicely done - the Wave Serpent almost looks like an acceptable
    > part of the Eldar range. I like Elrad a lot and the Scorpion's
    > well-done (question, though: why use the new ones? After all, you
    > obviously have access to the old Aspects = using old Avengers and new
    > Scorps seems to be giving you the worst of both worlds).

    Originally, the army was meant to be entirely bought new, from shops and
    stuff. However the lure of dirt cheap used minis is still strong, and I
    built a decent collection of the old Avengers. I have a squad of new
    scorps along with a squad of the old ones, though both have new Exarchs. I
    also have a squad of the old Banshees. Anyway, I like the old Avenger
    models, and I never quite liked the newer half metal ones.

    > The Avengers
    > don't have much subtlety to the colouring though - the contrasts
    > between the blue, white and red are rather glaring.

    Hmmm, I think I see what you mean. Any advice on how to correct that? I
    like the strong visual impact the bold white helms and the deep blue armor
    have. I may need to tone down some/all of the gems though.

    > Philip Bowles
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Myrmidon wrote:

    > I like the look, but I'd suggest a slightly smaller (i.e. narrower)
    > brush, and a bit more blending when doing the highlighting on the 'Wave
    > Serpent' is it? The same would hold true for your guardians vs your
    > Scorpion, - I like the scorpion better as the blending and highlights
    > aren't as harsh looking as they are on guardians. I'm guessing you used
    > acrylic paints? If so, look into a retarding agent and a 'flow/float'
    > aid that would let you blend colors more easily and for a longer time
    > period with acrylic paints. On most 28mm figures, a little blending and
    > highlighting goes a long way. I do like your 'farseer' in particular.
    > You've done a nice job picking out the details and making it stand out
    > from the crowd.
    >
    > Myrmidon

    Thanks for the advice. I'ts my first time trying blended highlights, so I'm
    actually really happy with how they look, they I realize now that I need to
    be a bit more subtle in my shades. If there is interest, I'll post some of
    my second batch of Avengers.

    Steve
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Steve Olk <spo2@case.edu> wrote in message news:<d4d22r$8lg$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu>...
    > Philip Bowles wrote:
    >
    > > Steve Olk <spo2@case.edu> wrote in message
    > >> I posted some pictures of my Eldar models on yahoo groups, in the folder
    > >> Steve Olk. I'm starting Eldar as a side project, and I thought I'd
    > >> share
    > >> my first couple of models. Feel free to critique.
    > >>
    > >> Steve Olk
    > >
    > > Very nicely done - the Wave Serpent almost looks like an acceptable
    > > part of the Eldar range. I like Elrad a lot and the Scorpion's
    > > well-done (question, though: why use the new ones? After all, you
    > > obviously have access to the old Aspects = using old Avengers and new
    > > Scorps seems to be giving you the worst of both worlds).
    >
    > Originally, the army was meant to be entirely bought new, from shops and
    > stuff. However the lure of dirt cheap used minis is still strong, and I
    > built a decent collection of the old Avengers. I have a squad of new
    > scorps along with a squad of the old ones, though both have new Exarchs.

    You poor boy... I'm sure there's a way of converting old Scorpions to
    make a half-decent claw-armed Exarch.

    > also have a squad of the old Banshees.

    Oh dear. Aside from the old Scorpions you don't exactly seem to have
    picked the cream of the old Eldar range...

    Anyway, I like the old Avenger
    > models, and I never quite liked the newer half metal ones.

    Models armed with something like shuriken catapults, which have
    changed drastically in style over the years, date pretty badly. The
    old Avengers were good enough for their time, but these days their
    weapons look chunky and clumsy and their crested helmets are too
    exaggerated to boot. If I were you I wouldn't use white for the
    catapults or helmets - it draws too much attention to the models'
    weaker points. They might look better with these details in black. I
    quite like the new ones, mostly because the Guardians they're based on
    are good models, though I wish they were a bit more distinctive and
    with an Exarch helmet component to differentiate him.

    > > The Avengers
    > > don't have much subtlety to the colouring though - the contrasts
    > > between the blue, white and red are rather glaring.
    >
    > Hmmm, I think I see what you mean. Any advice on how to correct that?

    Don't use such strongly contrasting colours...?

    Philip Bowles
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Philip Bowles said

    > The Avengers
    > don't have much subtlety to the colouring though - the contrasts
    > between the blue, white and red are rather glaring.

    They're Disco Elves from Space.

    --
    Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
    Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

    Steve Olk wrote:
    > Philip Bowles wrote:
    >>John Hwang <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote ...

    >>>Question: Why are you painting so clearly after the studio Biel-Tan
    >>>army?
    >>
    >>Look at the transfers, John - he obviously wants his army to come from
    >>Biel-Tan...
    >
    > Yeah, I want it to come from Biel Tan, and I like the standard color
    > schemes. Also, they're not transfers, all the runes are hand painted.

    OK. Tho painting as Biel-Tan locks you in as Biel-Tan. Painting your
    own lets you play as whatever you like...

    \-|-/
    | A.K.D. F.E.M.C.

Games Yahoo Video Games