Can I boot my Win XP Laptop from a USB key?

a b D Laptop
July 28, 2005 5:07:16 PM

Thank you,
Alan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2005 5:07:17 PM

There are three elements to make a USB flash drive bootable on a system:

** The host system must support booting from a USB flash drive.
(Please check with your system manufacturer.)

** The USB flash drive must support booting in general.
(Please check with your USB flash drive vendor.)

** The USB flash drive must contain boot/system files.
Typically, vendors of USB flash drives that support bootability will
provide you with a tool that will make the drive bootable.

USB Flash Drive FAQ
http://www.usbflashdrive.org/usbfd_faq.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_bootfromusbstick...
basically make a boot floppy and extract and move the boot sector to the usb
drive

"A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

> Thank you,
> Alan

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 29, 2005 10:01:41 AM

"A.M" <alanalan@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

> Thank you,
> Alan

You can boot to DOS from a 'key' but not to WINXP.
!