Editing registry to remove unwanted prog from startup

I see from many posts that people don't generally think registry editors
should be used - on the basis of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I have
many programs in the system configuration utility which I don't want at
start-up and to avoid them starting I use selective start-up, having first
unchecked the ones I don't want. But I think it would be better if I used
normal start-up but eliminated most of the programs from the list in the
first place.

Apart from editing the registry manually, which I don't really want to do,
what's the best way of achieving this? I also seem to have some residual
programs that I don't use and which don't appear in add/remove programs and
I'd like to get them off. Computer Associates' EZAntivirus is an example, as
I now use Zonealarm (although the antivirus element is actually Computer
Associates').

Rob Graham
3 answers Last reply
More about editing registry remove unwanted prog startup

    Rob, I've had good luck with "Startup monitor" and "Startup Control Panel"
    at this site: http://www.mlin.net/

    The Startup Control Panel puts an icon on the control panel named startup
    and when you open it there are tabs with all the areas that programs can be
    started... from the startup folder to all the registry entries. All you
    need to do is check or uncheck what you want.

    The Startup Monitor will monitor for programs being added to automatically
    start and allow you to say yes or no... this is very handy.

    HTH... Jim Watson

    In news:dcb5js$jb$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com,
    Rob graham <rttgrahamwow@btinternet.com> typed:

    > I see from many posts that people don't generally think
    > registry
    > editors should be used - on the basis of if it ain't broke,
    > don't fix
    > it.

    There's nothing wrong with using a registry editor. Did you mean
    an automated registry cleanup tool? I'm against using those, not
    because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," but because they can
    easily do more harm than good.

    > But I have many programs in the system configuration utility
    > which I don't want at start-up and to avoid them starting I use
    > selective start-up, having first unchecked the ones I don't
    > want. But
    > I think it would be better if I used normal start-up but
    > eliminated
    > most of the programs from the list in the first place.

    It doesn't matter much, but if you want to get rid of that
    selective startup, go here:

    Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup and Selective Startup
    (Line 148)

    > Apart from editing the registry manually, which I don't really
    > want
    > to do, what's the best way of achieving this? I also seem to
    > have
    > some residual programs that I don't use and which don't appear
    > in
    > add/remove programs and I'd like to get them off. Computer
    > Associates' EZAntivirus is an example, as I now use Zonealarm
    > (although the antivirus element is actually Computer
    > Associates').

    Why don't they appear in Add/Remove Programs? Did you just delete
    them instead of removing them properly? If so, the best way to
    remove them is to reinstall them, then uninstall them properly
    from Add/Remove Programs.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Thanks guys. Very helpful

    Rob