install the crashed master disk as slave

July 28, 2005 2:58:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I got my master disk crashed and now I have replaced the disk and installed
the new WinXP.
How can I connect the old crashed master disk back to the bus and installed
as the slave disk.
I guess the old disk is not crashed seriously and I am trying to recover
some of the data.
I have tried to connect the old crashed disk to the slave position and have
the jumper setting correct.
However, the BIOS does not detect both of them and complains cannot find any
OS.
Thanx
July 28, 2005 5:07:46 PM

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>I got my master disk crashed and now I have replaced the disk and installed
>the new WinXP.
> How can I connect the old crashed master disk back to the bus and
> installed as the slave disk.
> I guess the old disk is not crashed seriously and I am trying to recover
> some of the data.
> I have tried to connect the old crashed disk to the slave position and
> have the jumper setting correct.
> However, the BIOS does not detect both of them and complains cannot find
> any

although the drive may be defective...
try the other ide channel...disconnect the cdrom also
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:07:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Can I just remove the power supply of it?
The cabling install in the case is quite difficult to remove.

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>>I got my master disk crashed and now I have replaced the disk and
>>installed the new WinXP.
>> How can I connect the old crashed master disk back to the bus and
>> installed as the slave disk.
>> I guess the old disk is not crashed seriously and I am trying to recover
>> some of the data.
>> I have tried to connect the old crashed disk to the slave position and
>> have the jumper setting correct.
>> However, the BIOS does not detect both of them and complains cannot find
>> any
>

> although the drive may be defective...
> try the other ide channel...disconnect the cdrom also

July 28, 2005 6:09:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

You will need to set up the jumpers correctly. Set up the new drive as
Master and the old "crashed" drive as Slave.

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>I got my master disk crashed and now I have replaced the disk and installed
>the new WinXP.
> How can I connect the old crashed master disk back to the bus and
> installed as the slave disk.
> I guess the old disk is not crashed seriously and I am trying to recover
> some of the data.
> I have tried to connect the old crashed disk to the slave position and
> have the jumper setting correct.
> However, the BIOS does not detect both of them and complains cannot find
> any OS.
> Thanx

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:09:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have set the jumper correctly.
Slave disk means no jumper.
Thanx

> You will need to set up the jumpers correctly. Set up the new drive as
> Master and the old "crashed" drive as Slave.
>

> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>>I got my master disk crashed and now I have replaced the disk and
>>installed the new WinXP.
>> How can I connect the old crashed master disk back to the bus and
>> installed as the slave disk.
>> I guess the old disk is not crashed seriously and I am trying to recover
>> some of the data.
>> I have tried to connect the old crashed disk to the slave position and
>> have the jumper setting correct.
>> However, the BIOS does not detect both of them and complains cannot find
>> any OS.
>> Thanx

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:09:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Depending on the drive, sometimes the master drive has to have a jumper change too. My
master drive has a setting for master drive, and another one for Master WITH slave. Also,
if you did jumper the old drive to be a slave, and plug it onto the same flat data cable
as the master, did you make sure that you plugged in with the red strip facing the correct
position and not backwards? Also, did you plug a power cord into the slave drive snuggly,
and correctly? Also, did you initialize the slave drive:

To initialize new disks

1.. Open Computer Management (Local).
2.. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

a.. Computer Management (Local)
b.. Storage
c.. Disk Management
3.. Right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk.
4.. In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize.
The disk is initialized as a basic disk.

Notes

a.. To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click
Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer
Management.
b.. You must be logged on as a computer administrator in order to complete this
procedure.
c.. New disks appear as Not Initialized. Before you can use a disk, you must first
initialize it. If you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the Initialize Disk
Wizard appears so you can initialize the disk.

--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message news:e7nV#C6kFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I have set the jumper correctly.
> Slave disk means no jumper.
> Thanx
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> > You will need to set up the jumpers correctly. Set up the new drive as
> > Master and the old "crashed" drive as Slave.
> >

> > "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
> >>I got my master disk crashed and now I have replaced the disk and
> >>installed the new WinXP.
> >> How can I connect the old crashed master disk back to the bus and
> >> installed as the slave disk.
> >> I guess the old disk is not crashed seriously and I am trying to recover
> >> some of the data.
> >> I have tried to connect the old crashed disk to the slave position and
> >> have the jumper setting correct.
> >> However, the BIOS does not detect both of them and complains cannot find
> >> any OS.
> >> Thanx

begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
`
end

begin 666 plusCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`)$``/___\;#QH" @ ```"P`````"0`)`$ "%)2/B3'=88(<
..$HI*9:QULWY-(-<5`#L`
`
end

begin 666 note.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
`
end
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 6:35:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Then, if the old "crashed" drive is still not accessible, it has suffered a
hardware failure and you may not be able to recover any info from it. There
are several companies, listed on the web, that offer hard drive recovery
service. However, they can not really guaranty any success in recovering
data.

>I have set the jumper correctly.
> Slave disk means no jumper.
> Thanx
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> You will need to set up the jumpers correctly. Set up the new drive as
>> Master and the old "crashed" drive as Slave.
>>

>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>>>I got my master disk crashed and now I have replaced the disk and
>>>installed the new WinXP.
>>> How can I connect the old crashed master disk back to the bus and
>>> installed as the slave disk.
>>> I guess the old disk is not crashed seriously and I am trying to recover
>>> some of the data.
>>> I have tried to connect the old crashed disk to the slave position and
>>> have the jumper setting correct.
>>> However, the BIOS does not detect both of them and complains cannot find
>>> any OS.
>>> Thanx

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:22:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

what make and model of drive............???

the problem
"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>I have set the jumper correctly.
> Slave disk means no jumper.
> Thanx
>
> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> You will need to set up the jumpers correctly. Set up the new drive as
>> Master and the old "crashed" drive as Slave.
>>

>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>>>I got my master disk crashed and now I have replaced the disk and
>>>installed the new WinXP.
>>> How can I connect the old crashed master disk back to the bus and
>>> installed as the slave disk.
>>> I guess the old disk is not crashed seriously and I am trying to recover
>>> some of the data.
>>> I have tried to connect the old crashed disk to the slave position and
>>> have the jumper setting correct.
>>> However, the BIOS does not detect both of them and complains cannot find
>>> any OS.
>>> Thanx

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 10:22:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Segate
ST320420A

"peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
news:o SOdYO9kFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> what make and model of drive............???
>

> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
> about the problem
> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>>I have set the jumper correctly.
>> Slave disk means no jumper.
>> Thanx
>>
>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>>> You will need to set up the jumpers correctly. Set up the new drive as
>>> Master and the old "crashed" drive as Slave.
>>>

>>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:39:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

the problem
> Segate
> ST320420A
>
> "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> news:o SOdYO9kFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> what make and model of drive............???
>>

>> --
>> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
>> about the problem
>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have set the jumper correctly.
>>> Slave disk means no jumper.
>>> Thanx
>>>
>>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:39:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have used it
It is just for diagnostics
not for recovery.

> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
>
> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
> about the problem
> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>> Segate
>> ST320420A
>>
>> "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
>> news:o SOdYO9kFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> what make and model of drive............???
>>>

>>> --
>>> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
>>> about the problem
>>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:48:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

If your drive has gone bad recovery may not be possible using normal
methods.

Go to www.ontrack.com or www.drivesavers.com

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

>I have used it
> It is just for diagnostics
> not for recovery.
>
> "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
>>
>> --
>> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
>> about the problem
>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> Segate
>>> ST320420A
>>>
>>> "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o SOdYO9kFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:46:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Master and slave need to be jumpered correctly.
Some master dick are jumpered differently when they are the only disk or are
connected with a slave.

Try putting the old drive on the secondary IDE cable.
--
Ron Sommer

"dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>I have used it
> It is just for diagnostics
> not for recovery.
>
> "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
>> http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
>>
>> --
>> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
>> about the problem
>> "dh" <a@mail.com> wrote in message
>>> Segate
>>> ST320420A
>>>
>>> "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
>>> news:o SOdYO9kFHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 8:30:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Not necessarily dead Yves......

dh, try setting the jumpers on both drives to Cable Select (CS) and connect
the new, working drive to the master head on the ide cable, and the
supposedly dead drive to the slave head on the cable.

With some drives, both need their jumpers set to CS in order to work. Other
drives need to hard wireed as Master or Slave to work.....

!