transfer C:Documents and Settings and still have permissio..

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

Is it possible to have all the user folders from C:\Documents and Settings
in a 2nd hard drive (d:) and still have permissions enabled? So that I can
reformat my windows xp anytime without having to worry about all user the
files being deleted.

I can easily transfer all the user documents to the other drive, however,
anyone can access anyone's folder and files.

I dont want to use a 3rd party software to do this. any advise?

Thanks,
Eric

Byte

You can copy and paste the entire directory to your "D" drive.
After reformatting your "C" drive you'll need to get permission to
access the files again to restore then back to the "C" drive.
Write down the below URL (website) on a piece of paper so you can
access it for the info:

"Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the
rest of your life.

"eric" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to have all the user folders from C:\Documents and Settings
> in a 2nd hard drive (d:) and still have permissions enabled? So that I can
> reformat my windows xp anytime without having to worry about all user the
> files being deleted.
>
> I can easily transfer all the user documents to the other drive, however,
> anyone can access anyone's folder and files.
>
> I dont want to use a 3rd party software to do this. any advise?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,

You dont understand the question. I dont have problems opening the files.
What I want is to have a single drive for all our documents and files
separate from the windows OS itself, in this case drive d:. I want each user
to have its own folder in drive d: But they should only have access to
his/her own folder.