Dell is now charging sales tax in 13 states

Just for everyone's info:

I ordered a Dimension 8400 through Dell's website last night and, upon
getting to the final price page, was surprised to see that Dell is now
charging sales tax in 13 states, including Illinois, unfortunately. :(

When I bought my Inspiron 8600 last October, they did not charge sales tax
in Illinois and I seem to remember only about 3 states that were listed in
the sales tax list.

Sales taxes are now collected for orders shipping to:

Texas, Kentucky, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Idaho, Ohio, Virginia,
Illinois, Pennsylvania, Missouri, California and Florida.
--
<<<SgtRich>>>

Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400 (On Order)
Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

Yep, All states where they have opened stores. Of course you paid that
sales tax directly to the state/county when you bought that laptop. ;-)
I'm going to be interested in the lawsuit that is currently in court
over internet sales of wine. It is illegal for wineries to sell outside
of their home states in most areas because of the taxes on alcohol and
transporting it across state lines. If the case goes against the
wineries it could make sales tax mandatory on ALL internet sales. And
could impact sales of other products as well.

On another note now that IBM is placing their computer manufacturing
division up for sale, what will we call the clones?
--
Steve Williams

"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
> Just for everyone's info:
>
> I ordered a Dimension 8400 through Dell's website last night and, upon
> getting to the final price page, was surprised to see that Dell is now
> charging sales tax in 13 states, including Illinois, unfortunately.
:(

> When I bought my Inspiron 8600 last October, they did not charge sales
tax
> in Illinois and I seem to remember only about 3 states that were
listed in
> the sales tax list.
>
> Sales taxes are now collected for orders shipping to:
>
> Texas, Kentucky, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Idaho, Ohio,
Virginia,
> Illinois, Pennsylvania, Missouri, California and Florida.
> --
> <<<SgtRich>>>
>
> Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400 (On Order)
> Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

> When I bought my Inspiron 8600 last October, they did not charge sales tax
> in Illinois and I seem to remember only about 3 states that were listed in
> the sales tax list.
>
> Sales taxes are now collected for orders shipping to:
>
> Texas, Kentucky, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Idaho, Ohio, Virginia,
> Illinois, Pennsylvania, Missouri, California and Florida.

I had to pay Michigan sales tax three weeks ago when I ordered my 8600.

BigJim

what are ya bitchin about the is the republican way
"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
> Just for everyone's info:
>
> I ordered a Dimension 8400 through Dell's website last night and, upon
> getting to the final price page, was surprised to see that Dell is now
> charging sales tax in 13 states, including Illinois, unfortunately. :(
>
> When I bought my Inspiron 8600 last October, they did not charge sales tax
> in Illinois and I seem to remember only about 3 states that were listed in
> the sales tax list.
>
> Sales taxes are now collected for orders shipping to:
>
> Texas, Kentucky, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Idaho, Ohio, Virginia,
> Illinois, Pennsylvania, Missouri, California and Florida.
> --
> <<<SgtRich>>>
>
> Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400 (On Order)
> Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

replublicans are supposed to be for less taxes and smaller government.

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> what are ya bitchin about the is the republican way
> "SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
>> Just for everyone's info:
>>
>> I ordered a Dimension 8400 through Dell's website last night and, upon
>> getting to the final price page, was surprised to see that Dell is now
>> charging sales tax in 13 states, including Illinois, unfortunately. :(
>>
>> When I bought my Inspiron 8600 last October, they did not charge sales
>> tax
>> in Illinois and I seem to remember only about 3 states that were listed
>> in
>> the sales tax list.
>>
>> Sales taxes are now collected for orders shipping to:
>>
>> Texas, Kentucky, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Idaho, Ohio,
>> Virginia,
>> Illinois, Pennsylvania, Missouri, California and Florida.
>> --
>> <<<SgtRich>>>
>>
>> Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400 (On Order)
>> Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
>> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

Maybe when Lincoln was President.

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> replublicans are supposed to be for less taxes and smaller government.
>
> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> what are ya bitchin about the is the republican way
>> "SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Just for everyone's info:
>>>
>>> I ordered a Dimension 8400 through Dell's website last night and, upon
>>> getting to the final price page, was surprised to see that Dell is now
>>> charging sales tax in 13 states, including Illinois, unfortunately.
>>> :(
>>>
>>> When I bought my Inspiron 8600 last October, they did not charge sales
>>> tax
>>> in Illinois and I seem to remember only about 3 states that were listed
>>> in
>>> the sales tax list.
>>>
>>> Sales taxes are now collected for orders shipping to:
>>>
>>> Texas, Kentucky, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Idaho, Ohio,
>>> Virginia,
>>> Illinois, Pennsylvania, Missouri, California and Florida.
>>> --
>>> <<<SgtRich>>>
>>>
>>> Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400 (On Order)
>>> Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
>>> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

Actually, Illinois has a Democrat for a gov. So don't blame
the Republicans... :)

NuTCrAcKeR wrote:

> replublicans are supposed to be for less taxes and smaller government.
>
> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>what are ya bitchin about the is the republican way
>>"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>>Just for everyone's info:
>>>
>>>I ordered a Dimension 8400 through Dell's website last night and, upon
>>>getting to the final price page, was surprised to see that Dell is now
>>>charging sales tax in 13 states, including Illinois, unfortunately. :(
>>>
>>>When I bought my Inspiron 8600 last October, they did not charge sales
>>>tax
>>>in Illinois and I seem to remember only about 3 states that were listed
>>>in
>>>the sales tax list.
>>>
>>>Sales taxes are now collected for orders shipping to:
>>>
>>>Texas, Kentucky, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Idaho, Ohio,
>>>Virginia,
>>>Illinois, Pennsylvania, Missouri, California and Florida.
>>>--
>>><<<SgtRich>>>
>>>
>>>Desktop: Dell Dimension 8400 (On Order)
>>>Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
>>>Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

--
Chuck

ok, you just proved your ignorance. No more soup from you.

"Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Maybe when Lincoln was President.
>
> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
>> replublicans are supposed to be for less taxes and smaller government.
>>
>> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> what are ya bitchin about the is the republican way
>>> "SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message

the government has to fund the war on terror *somehow* .....

"C. B. Kelley" <cbkelley@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
> Actually, Illinois has a Democrat for a gov. So don't blame
> the Republicans... :)
>
> NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
>
>> replublicans are supposed to be for less taxes and smaller government.
>>
>> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>what are ya bitchin about the is the republican way
>>>"SgtRich" <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote in message

>>>:mad:

> --
> Chuck

and pay for all you left wing welfare cases. now please go take your
government subsidized drugs and get a grip.

> the government has to fund the war on terror *somehow* .....
>
> "C. B. Kelley" <cbkelley@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
> > Actually, Illinois has a Democrat for a gov. So don't blame
> > the Republicans... :)
> >
> > NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
> >
> >> replublicans are supposed to be for less taxes and smaller government.
> >>
> >> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > --
> > Chuck

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

TeRMiNaToR wrote:
> and pay for all you left wing welfare cases. now please go take your
> government subsidized drugs and get a grip.

Feel free to blow it out your ass, rightard!

Why do these guys show up in NG's like a.s.p.dell?

SgtRich <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote:

>Just for everyone's info:

[snips]

>Sales taxes are now collected for orders shipping to:

[more snips]

Well, if nothing else, this thread has IDed some trolls who
appear to be more interested in turning this into an annex of
alt.political.rants than in discussing Dell computers/issues. My
twit filter has grown.
--
OJ III

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> replublicans are supposed to be for less taxes and smaller government.

They're also for enforcing the law. The sales tax collection doesn't add any
addl. tax to what a buyer is legally oblicated to pay - sales tax collected
by the vendor or an alternative use tax supposed to be paid by the end
buyer. Sales tax is also a nice regressive flat tax much better than a
graduated rate income and estate tax.

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> SgtRich <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Just for everyone's info:
>
> [snips]
>
>>Sales taxes are now collected for orders shipping to:
>
> [more snips]
>
> Well, if nothing else, this thread has IDed some trolls who
> appear to be more interested in turning this into an annex of
> alt.political.rants than in discussing Dell computers/issues. My
> twit filter has grown.
> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

I agree. This thread has only to mention nazis or Brittany Spears to go
farther OT.....

Stew

Since when do the "Feds" get the sales tax money collected by the states?

"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> the government has to fund the war on terror *somehow* .....
>
> "C. B. Kelley" <cbkelley@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
> > Actually, Illinois has a Democrat for a gov. So don't blame
> > the Republicans... :)
> >
> > NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
> >
> >> replublicans are supposed to be for less taxes and smaller government.
> >>
> >> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > --
> > Chuck

please don't inject actual facts into a discussion with a looney-lefty. you
risk bursting the little bubble they live in. the horror... the horror....

"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Since when do the "Feds" get the sales tax money collected by the states?
>
> "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
> > the government has to fund the war on terror *somehow* .....
> >
> > "C. B. Kelley" <cbkelley@wideopenwest.com> wrote in message
> > > Actually, Illinois has a Democrat for a gov. So don't blame
> > > the Republicans... :)

> listed

> > > --
> > > Chuck

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

live-free-or-die wrote:

> please don't inject actual facts into a discussion with a looney-lefty. you
> risk bursting the little bubble they live in. the horror... the horror....

Good advice - we don't want their hard-wired little brains exploding
right before Christmas!

:)

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:42:36 -0800, "Lenny Bruce" <spamme@devnul.com>
wrote:

>"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
>> replublicans are supposed to be for less taxes and smaller government.
>
>They're also for enforcing the law. The sales tax collection doesn't add any
>addl. tax to what a buyer is legally oblicated to pay - sales tax collected
>by the vendor or an alternative use tax supposed to be paid by the end
>buyer. Sales tax is also a nice regressive flat tax much better than a
>graduated rate income and estate tax.

Amen, brother! At least with income tax, you only pay it if you made
the money! I see they've made sales tax deductable again, though.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

NIACS

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Copy Print Exit
7:56:00 PM System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
7:56:01 PM System Connected with BE_RR_Rep_Patrick
7:56:04 PM NIA STALLWORTH HELLO
7:56:05 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Welcome to Dell's Sales Chat! My name is Patrick, and I will be your personal consultant today. Feel free to provide your email address so that I can contact you in case we get disconnected.My email is Patrick_Denton@dell.com How are you doing today?
7:56:13 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick hi Nia
7:56:18 PM NIA STALLWORTH MALAYSHIA_1@YAHOO.COM
7:56:33 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick how can I assist you today
7:56:35 PM NIA STALLWORTH HEY, DO DELL HAVE STORES IN MY STATE?
7:57:05 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick no, our systems are only available online and over the phone for purchase, our systems are customized =D
7:57:53 PM NIA STALLWORTH THERE IS NO DELL STORE NEAR ME? HOW ABOUT THE ONE IN VALLEY FORGE, PENNSYLVANIA?
7:58:35 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Nia, our systems are only available for customization over the phone, and online.
7:59:36 PM NIA STALLWORTH OKAY. SO WHY AM I BEING CHARGED STATE TAX ON MY ORDER, IF DELL DOES NOT HAVE A PRESENCE IN MY STATE?
8:00:26 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick customized desktops are not available for purchase, preconfigred are available at best buy, and circuit city, as is dell ink. but you cannot get a customized system from a store.
8:01:05 PM NIA STALLWORTH I DIDNT ASK ABOUT A CUSTOM SYSTEM. I ASKED ABOUT A DELL STORE
8:01:31 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Dell store no. Best buy and circuit city, and walmart. yes
8:02:24 PM NIA STALLWORTH SO BECAUSE A PRODUCT IS SOLD BY WALMART, THAT MEANS DELL CAN CHARGE TAX WHEVER A WALMART IS PRESENT?
8:04:06 PM NIA STALLWORTH HELLO?
8:04:21 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick As we have a business presence in every state, we are required to collect tax on all purchases made through the business sales division when applicable. At this time we are only required to collect tax on purchases made through our personal or home sales division for shipments
8:05:01 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Dell combines shipping and handling on it's quotes and invoices as a single line item. A handling charge is a taxable item in all states except New Jersey, whereas the states differ on whether or not shipping is a taxable item. When a taxable item and a nontaxable item are combined in a single line item, i.e. not separately stated, the entire charge is taxable. Therefore, "shipping and handling" are taxed in all ship to states except New Jersey. If you have any additional questions regarding shipping and handling, please contact the Department of Revenue for the state you are having your order shipped to or call our tax department at 800-433-9019 x 61306. Thank you.
8:06:02 PM NIA STALLWORTH I CALLED THEM 2 DAYS AGO, BUT THET KEPT HANGING UP ON ME
8:06:41 PM NIA STALLWORTH I CALLED 13 DIFFRENT TIMS IN FACT. WAITED ON THE PHONE 2 HOURS ALL TOGETHER
8:07:01 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Internet Tax: The Internet Tax Freedom act does not state that the Internet will be tax exempt. That seems to be a popular misconception fueled by the media and certain individuals. It states the following things: 1) Internet access such as America Online and Compuserve will be tax exempt. 2) There will be no tariffs placed on the Internet so it will encourage global free trade. 3) No NEW taxes will be applied to the Internet, which might hinder its growth.
8:07:50 PM NIA STALLWORTH WHEN I BOUGHT MY 1ST DELL, 4 YEARS AGO, I WAS NOT TAXED ON IT
8:07:50 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Dell collects sales and use taxes on Internet sales. What the new law established is protection for consumers for 3 years on a "special" tax that states could incur on transactions made over the Internet. The items purchased over the Internet are still considered taxable whether we collect the tax or not. If we don't collect it, the customer is responsible for remitting it directly to their ship to state.
8:08:31 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick yes and gas prices were down also Nia, times change as do laws and taxes. there is nothing I can do about tax being charged on your system
8:09:26 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick you could contact your local tax division if you feel that this is unfair and dispute your case, that would be what I would advise. or our tax department here at dell. but there is nothing I can do about you being charge sales tax.
8:09:42 PM NIA STALLWORTH WELL, DIDNT DELL GET SUED FOR CHARGING TAX ILLEGALLY? WHATS UP WITH THAT?
8:10:01 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick no idea.
8:10:13 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick If you have about 10 to 15 mins we can customize one together and I can make a quote on one for you . All I would need would be your Address, Phone number, and Email, this isn't committing you to buy simply allows me to view all promotions
8:11:00 PM NIA STALLWORTH UM HUM. OKAY. THE NUMBER YOU JUST GAVE ME IS AN AUTOMATED MACHINE. IT INTRUCTED ME TO CONTACT SOMEONE ONLINE. IS THERE ANOTHER NUMBER I CAN CONTACT?
8:11:37 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick 18009993355 ext 7266966 that is our customer service division
8:11:57 PM NIA STALLWORTH I ALREADY PURCHASED MY SYSTEM. $732.22
8:12:28 PM NIA STALLWORTH THANKS ANYWAY FOR TRYING. BY THE WAY, HOW LONG HAVE YOU WORKED AT DELL?
8:12:42 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick 2 years.
8:13:07 PM NIA STALLWORTH OH, OK. I SEE. ALRIGHT THANKS.
8:13:22 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick was there anything else I could assist you with today?
8:13:53 PM NIA STALLWORTH apparently not. good night
8:14:17 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Thank you for choosing Dell Sales Chat, if you have any further questions feel free to email me at Patrick_Denton@dell.com. Also if it isn't to much trouble there is a 5 question survey we give out to insure that chat stays here to help its customers, If you would like to comment additionally on the service you received email my manager at Kurt_Whitley@dell.com
8:14:47 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick We charge tax because we have business presence in that state.
8:15:17 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick when you bought your computer 4 yrs ago...we may not have had business presence in your state.
8:15:27 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Ma'am, are you there?
8:15:32 PM NIA STALLWORTH yeah
8:15:52 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick does that make since about the taxes?
8:16:48 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Business presence, by definition... typically means a Kiosk...or perhaps presence in a brick and morter store.
8:16:59 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick I.e. Best Buy, Wal-Mart etc.
8:17:20 PM NIA STALLWORTH No. But I understand you have to follow a script, because you are just a customer service agent. So I will not blame you for DELL's bad bussiness.
8:18:12 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Nia, I am not following scripts, im a sales agent so I try to insure that all of my customers are satisfied with the product we represent
8:18:25 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Bad business- do you mean our model?
8:18:35 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Just trying to understand...sorry for the additional question.
8:20:02 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick In the last 6 months, we have introduced our products to customer's via extremely direct retail channels.
8:20:48 PM NIA STALLWORTH No, I mean bussiness practices. Its a shame because customers lose trust in a place, when lies are constantly being told. I really thought about just getting an HP istead. the only reason I stillpurchased the 1525 , is because it came in "pink"
8:21:13 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Like, Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Staples, Guitar Center etc...that was the overwhelming response/request from you, our customer.
8:21:37 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Wise choice....my manager is sporting a Pink notebook.
8:21:57 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Looks pretty neat.
8:22:55 PM NIA STALLWORTH Wow, Manager? LOL. I didn't know you guys over there had managers. Everytime I ask to speak to one, I get placed on hold, the hung up on. Thats AMAZING!
8:23:33 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Want my manager's contact information?
8:23:51 PM NIA STALLWORTH yeah, sure. thanks.
8:24:03 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Her name is Maggie- she's easy to contact.
8:24:38 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Sorry, I can't send you a picture of her...did you know that's something our Chat organization is working on?
8:24:54 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Avatars, or premier pages for your personal sales consultant? me?
8:25:21 PM NIA STALLWORTH no i didnt. why is avatars important to customer service?
8:25:53 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick Maggie Shearrow extension 2150168
8:26:08 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick you can reach that by dialing 1800 999 3355 ,then entering in that ext.
8:26:24 PM NIA STALLWORTH okay. thanks.
8:26:33 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick The Avatar's are suppose to represent that we are human =) and try to personalize your experience
8:26:52 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick I have one would you like to see?
8:27:05 PM NIA STALLWORTH sure, why not.
8:28:08 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick you should have an email any second now
8:28:55 PM NIA STALLWORTH lol. very funny!
8:29:03 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick only difference in me and my avatar is im taller =)
8:29:30 PM NIA STALLWORTH very cute. i hope you guys have fun with that
8:29:43 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick thanks =)
8:30:10 PM NIA STALLWORTH i have another question
8:30:17 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick sure
8:30:44 PM NIA STALLWORTH when i call customer service, is my calls being out sourced to another country?
8:31:34 PM BE_RR_Rep_Patrick 50/50 chance the routing goes one way or the other
8:32:53 PM NIA STALLWORTH okay. does that save money? Because most American people, to be honest, don't understand heavy accents.