Restart doesn't work, Shutdown works fine

I have a laptop where if I use shutdown to power off, wait, then press the
power button, Winxp starts fine but if I select Restart, Windows shuts down
but goes to the "Windows shutdown abnormally" screen on restart and none of
the options including command prompt or safe mode work, just keeps return to
the Windows shutdown improperly screen. I end up having to pull the battery
then reinstalling it to start windows normally. Any suggestions?
2 answers Last reply
More about restart doesn work shutdown works fine

    Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    --
    XP-WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    "Ralph" wrote:

    > I have a laptop where if I use shutdown to power off, wait, then press the
    > power button, Winxp starts fine but if I select Restart, Windows shuts down
    > but goes to the "Windows shutdown abnormally" screen on restart and none of
    > the options including command prompt or safe mode work, just keeps return to
    > the Windows shutdown improperly screen. I end up having to pull the battery
    > then reinstalling it to start windows normally. Any suggestions?

    Hi

    Have you tried the following link to Jim Eshelman's web site:

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Ralph" <Ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a laptop where if I use shutdown to power off, wait, then press the
    > power button, Winxp starts fine but if I select Restart, Windows shuts
    > down
    > but goes to the "Windows shutdown abnormally" screen on restart and none
    > of
    > the options including command prompt or safe mode work, just keeps return
    > the Windows shutdown improperly screen. I end up having to pull the
    > battery
    > then reinstalling it to start windows normally. Any suggestions?

Shutdown Power Microsoft Windows XP