nocatharsis

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
First, here is my problem. When I use any memory intensive programs (mostly gaming), I eventually have the program crash me to windows with an error message saying that some location in my RAM is unreadable. Does that mean one of my 2 sticks of RAM is worthless and needs to be replaced? That's what I assume.

Second, here are my specs:
Asus NF7-S 2.0 motherboard
AMD XP 3200+ processor
2 sticks 512 MB PC3200 RAM
And I think that's all that is relevant to this problem.

Third, I want to know what I should do. Some questions:
1. Is there a way to single out exactly where the problem is occurring in my RAM? If so, can I block those sectors from being used?
2. Can I just order a second stick of PC3200 512MB RAM and replace one of the two sticks? Would that work?
3. Would I be better off just upgrading my RAM altogether by replacing both sticks with something higher grade?
4. What other types and speeds of memory would work with my MB/CPU configuration?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really trying to learn this stuff...

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Download memtest86 and run it for a few hours. It'll tell you if there are really memory errors.

To answer the questions:

1) Run memtest 86. If there's an error, pull 1 stick of ram and test again. Then test the other stick. Now you know if its just 1 or both sticks.

2) If just 1 stick is the culprit, that'll work.

3) If you're not overclocking, there's no reason to buy expensive memory. Just replace the bad stick(s) with quality RAM.

4) Anything PC3200 or faster. (not DDR2 however). Just stick with quality names - Patriot, Samsung, Corsair, OCZ, etc. No point in getting faster than PC3200 unless you're overclocking.

Hmm... I just reread your problem. You say it works fine for a while? How long - 10 min, 2 hrs, ??? ? If it takes a while (hour or more), it may be a heat issue. Pull the side cover off your case and set a house fan to blow into the side. Now game and see if it crashes. If it doesn't, it's heat and you need to get some more airflow past your RAM.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

nocatharsis

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
Thank you very much for your help. Now a few more issues have arisen:

1. I downloaded the ISO version of Memtest86 v3.2 and I burned it onto a CD as the instructions said. I told bios to boot from CD-ROM and when the computer is loading, it says it's booting from CD but then after a few seconds of reading the disc, it just continues to load windows. I've booted from CD before obviously, like when I installed windows, so I'm not sure what's going on here.

2. I've heard before that both sticks of RAM need to be the same. Does that mean that they both need to be the same speed and the same size? You say I should replace the bad stick with a quality name, so will that work ok if I have one stick of name-brand RAM and then the other stick is my older off-brand PC3200 memory?

3. Yes, it works fine for a while. Usually I only get this error about once an hour on average. I'm going to test and see if it is a heat issue. My RAM has heat sinks attached, but otherwise how would I reduce the amount of heat around my RAM? I have 4 case fans already pumping air in and out, and the room temperature is a constant 75-78.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Don't know why the ISO didn't boot. I've always used the floppy version (old-fashioned I guess :lol: ). Maybe unplug the HDD for the test, since its not needed?

RAM for dual channel should be the same speed and same size. Also best if they have the same timings. In some cases (where the memory controller is sensitive - like the Athlon 64) the 2 should be from the same batch. I don't think yours falls in that category. nForce2 dual channel is more forgiving. If you're not in dual channel, they dont' even need to be the same speed/size - just use the speed of the slowest stick.

Are those heatsinks or just heat spreaders? (i.e., are they finned like a CPU's heatsink, or just flat spreaders? IMO, heatspreaders don't do much to keep ram cool, - they just look like they do. If heat is the problem, maybe moving some cables around to allow the RAM more airflow or something. Tackle that if/when it's an issue.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

nocatharsis

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
I would use the floppy version, but I built this computer on my own about a year ago and never installed a floppy disk drive. I've never needed one until now, either.

I told bios to ignore the HDD as a boot disk, and it did for a while, but ultimately loaded windows anyway. I guess I could try unplugging it, but will that work? I would try right now but I'm not on my home computer at the moment.

I think they may actually be heat spreaders. I didn't know there was a difference when it came to RAM heat dissipation. I think that's a little down the line for me, though. I want to get Memtest86 running before I start moving all of my hardware around and throwing away supposed bad RAM chips.

Thanks again.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
For Memtest86 to boot from a CD you cannot simply download and burn straight.. its counterintuitive.

You need to burn the .IOS file as an image to CD, you cannot use normal windows burning software to do this. You'll need to use NERO..

Or if you don't have NERO or some other program capable of writing .ISO files to cd, there is a free (with limited usabilty) program that is capable of doing it.. it works rather well: <A HREF="http://www.padus.com/" target="_new">Padus Disc Juggler</A>

Your games could be causing your CPU to overheat... memory almost never overheats.

Also, since games require more of your systems resources, you could possibly have an issue with the power suppply. Statistically, the CPU fan and power supply are the main causes of the majority of system crashes.

As fishmahn said above, blowing a fan into your case is a great idea!

In anycase, it is a good idea to use matched memory pairs, both size, speed, and latency. One bad memory in a set limits the capability of all the modules. So best to stick with quality name brand memory products.

First step at this point would be to get MEMTEST86 to run properly, so you can check for memory errors. Also, can you describe the memory modules?

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sence." -The Buddha
<font color=blue>AIM SoCaliCrowley

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Are you sure it didn't say something along the lines of "press any key to boot from CD..."? Seems like I've seen that message before and you have to press a key otherwise it goes straight into windows.