Problem trying to reinstall Windows XP - HELP!!

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
July 28, 2005 4:31:04 PM

Hello again.

I did what I was told in my previous post early this morning, and it was
helpful, but now I'm faced with another problem. When I try to reinstall
Windows XP, it gives me this message:

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
recovered."

I have no idea why it's telling me this because this was the CD I got when I
bought this system. I guess with the updates did it make newer? Now since My
Documents, Control Panel, and My Computer cannot be opened I'm worried that
I'll never be able to reinstall this version. Please don't give me an article
to read, I need to be told what to do each step and if you can post it here I
would really apprieate. I wanna be told so I now that that's the right one
I'm suppose to do.

PLEASE HELP!
Robb

More about : problem reinstall windows

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:34:23 PM

Are you clean installing? To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install
CD-Rom. When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
partitions found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then
again restart the pc booting the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter
assignments with your new install.

Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
connecting to any network.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Robb Reis" wrote:
| Hello again.
|
| I did what I was told in my previous post early this morning, and it was
| helpful, but now I'm faced with another problem. When I try to reinstall
| Windows XP, it gives me this message:
|
| "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
| newer than the version on the CD.
|
| Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
| currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
| recovered."
|
| I have no idea why it's telling me this because this was the CD I got when
| bought this system. I guess with the updates did it make newer? Now since
My
| Documents, Control Panel, and My Computer cannot be opened I'm worried
that
| I'll never be able to reinstall this version. Please don't give me an
article
| to read, I need to be told what to do each step and if you can post it
here I
| would really apprieate. I wanna be told so I now that that's the right one
| I'm suppose to do.
|
| PLEASE HELP!
| Robb
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 5:34:24 PM

what does boot mean? and how do I do it?

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Are you clean installing? To do a clean install boot the Windows XP install
> CD-Rom. When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
> partitions found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install, then
> again restart the pc booting the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter
> assignments with your new install.
>
> Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install before
> connecting to any network.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Robb Reis" wrote:
> | Hello again.
> |
> | I did what I was told in my previous post early this morning, and it was
> | helpful, but now I'm faced with another problem. When I try to reinstall
> | Windows XP, it gives me this message:
> |
> | "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is
> | newer than the version on the CD.
> |
> | Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
> | currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
> | recovered."
> |
> | I have no idea why it's telling me this because this was the CD I got when
> | bought this system. I guess with the updates did it make newer? Now since
> My
> | Documents, Control Panel, and My Computer cannot be opened I'm worried
> that
> | I'll never be able to reinstall this version. Please don't give me an
> article
> | to read, I need to be told what to do each step and if you can post it
> here I
> | would really apprieate. I wanna be told so I now that that's the right one
> | I'm suppose to do.
> |
> | PLEASE HELP!
> | Robb

July 28, 2005 8:02:43 PM

Boot means that you must set the correct drive where the PC is to be started
from.

Normally, place the XP install CD into the CD-Rom drive and "reboot " your
XP. Then, during the booting, you should see a message "Press ... to boot
from CD..."

"Robb Reis" <RobbReis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what does boot mean? and how do I do it?
>
> "Dave Patrick" wrote:
>
>> Are you clean installing? To do a clean install boot the Windows XP
>> install
>> CD-Rom. When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
>> partitions found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install,
>> then
>> again restart the pc booting the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter
>> assignments with your new install.
>>
>> Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install
>> before
>> connecting to any network.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>
>> "Robb Reis" wrote:
>> | Hello again.
>> |
>> | I did what I was told in my previous post early this morning, and it
>> was
>> | helpful, but now I'm faced with another problem. When I try to
>> reinstall
>> | Windows XP, it gives me this message:
>> |
>> | "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer
>> is
>> | newer than the version on the CD.
>> |
>> | Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is
>> | currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be
>> | recovered."
>> |
>> | I have no idea why it's telling me this because this was the CD I got
>> when
>> | bought this system. I guess with the updates did it make newer? Now
>> since
>> My
>> | Documents, Control Panel, and My Computer cannot be opened I'm worried
>> that
>> | I'll never be able to reinstall this version. Please don't give me an
>> article
>> | to read, I need to be told what to do each step and if you can post it
>> here I
>> | would really apprieate. I wanna be told so I now that that's the right
>> one
>> | I'm suppose to do.
>> |
>> | PLEASE HELP!
>> | Robb

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 8:02:44 PM

Ok so boot means that I put it in the right drive, It's in the right one I
think. Rebooting My XP, how do I do that? is that just restarting my
computer? Sorry I am computer dumb, and I know it's probable very easy, but I
do not understand. also I clicked on details, and I got this:

"To install the version on the CD, restart your computer, boot from this CD,
and follow the instructions for a new installation."

OK I get everything until boot from this CD. Maybe if you explain how to do
it in simple terms, then I might get it lol. I am sorry but I really really
need help :p

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> Boot means that you must set the correct drive where the PC is to be started
> from.
>
> Normally, place the XP install CD into the CD-Rom drive and "reboot " your
> XP. Then, during the booting, you should see a message "Press ... to boot
> from CD..."
>

> "Robb Reis" <RobbReis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > what does boot mean? and how do I do it?
> >
> > "Dave Patrick" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you clean installing? To do a clean install boot the Windows XP
> >> install
> >> CD-Rom. When you get to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other
> >> partitions found. After you delete the partition(s) abort the install,
> >> then
> >> again restart the pc booting the CD-Rom to avoid unexpected drive letter
> >> assignments with your new install.
> >>
> >> Be sure to apply SP2 or at least these two below to your new install
> >> before
> >> connecting to any network.
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03...
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> >> Microsoft Certified Professional
> >> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> >> was
> >> reinstall

> >> is

> >> when
> >> since
> >> My
> >> that
> >> article
> >> here I
> >> one

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 8:02:44 PM

In other words "start/restart the computer" with the XP CD-Rom in the drive.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....

!