45-60secs Black screen after window logo before desktop load

MathewDunn

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hello,

I have an MSI Laptop which I bought about a year ago was running fine and at the beginning of September started having the issue of a black screen, for about 45-60 seconds, between the windows logo and the desktop loading.
I have googled my laptop's problem and found numerous suggested fixes but none have worked.

The laptop has:
Intel Core i7 460M Processor 2.53Ghz
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
4G DDR3 memory
Nvidia GeForce GT 540M
15.6" 1366x768 HD
Intel® HD Graphic VGA
2.5" 500 GB SATA HDD
Super Multi Optical drive
2 High Quality Stereo Speakers
1.3M Webcam
SD/MMC/MS/XD card reader
10/100/1000 LAN
802.11 b/g/n wireless
1xD-Sub(VGA)
2xUSB
1xeSATA/USB Combo
1xHDMI
1xMic-in/Headphone-out
1xExpress card
65W AC adapter

Upon switch on the MSI logo appears, the windows logo appears and lots of HDD activity, then the screen goes black and the HDD light flicks every second, literally, and after about 45-60 seconds the desktop appears, loads fine and everything is hunky dory. No performance issues while in Windows.

During a safe mode start the drivers & system files appear on screen but refresh a new file on the screen every second. It looks like a refresh rate issue when they are appearing as the whole screen takes a second to push all the files up the screen and add a new line to it.

Investigations:
-I had looked in the BIOS and it all looks fine, loading default values makes no difference
-I have done a recovery from the MSI Recovery Partition to reset how it was when I got it a year ago, makes no difference
-Used a Win7 DVD and done a Startup Repair, makes no difference
-Used a Win7 DVD and done a command start and used 'bootrec /fixboot' and 'bootrec /fixmbr', makes no difference
-Uninstalled Nvidia drivers with a clean install to the latest version available, makes no difference (although I wouldn't expect this to)
-Installed latest Intel HD 3000 drivers, makes no difference (again, wouldn't expect it to)
-Done a memtest, all 100% fine
-Done chkdisk, all 100% fine
-Defragmentation of the drive has 0% defragmented
-I have run CCleaner, no difference
-In MSCONFIG changed it to not do anything in the STARTUP, makes no difference.
-Stopped all services that aren't required i.e Adobe update etc
-No critical errors appearing or known

A boot log reports the following items unable to load driver:
4 instances of NDProxy.svs
1 instance of vga.sys
1 instance of srv.sys

The above 3 files exist in the directories asked for so not sure why it can't load them.
Although the laptop works fine when it's loaded, the additional time on this blackscreen is just winding me up as it didn't do it before.
Any ideas or clues as to what to attempt to fix it. If nothing can be done I can live with it because as I said, once windows is loaded there are no performance issues or errors whatsoever
I will try to answer any questions you put forward as to my system and thank you for any comments in advance
Matt

MathewDunn

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hi noidea_77
I am not so concerned about the files not loading, everything works fine. I have been told that the vga.sys is a last resort file as it finds the nvidia drivers. The NDProxy isn't a problem as this is network related and that works as intended.

I will run AUTORUNS and check that to see what order the processes go through.

As the system has been restored to how I had it delivered and the delay is on the windows boot (before desktop loaded) I am sure this isn't down to software

**Edit...thank you for replying :D

MathewDunn

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Found the issue..
A 'fake' SD card to keep the SD card slot clear had a Micro SD converter in without any SD card in it.
The windows startup must have been looking for drivers/files on it while loading.

D'oh!!

Thanks for your replies and attempts to help

TheOnlyShad0w

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013

Removing my empy micro-SD adapter fixed it for me as well. Ha! What a weird glitch.