[WFB] Wood elf pics from the French Games Day

jockelinde <nouser@notmydomain.se> wrote in message news:<slrnd6qlif.oom.nouser@crux.id.gu.se>...
> http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=5917

Ookaay, time for a rundown...

Glade Guardian with bow: Finally, GW makes a character model with a
ranged weapon who looks dynamic. Not sure what the stuff on the base
is; hopefully it'll paint up well but if not rebasing isn't a major
hassle. On a 1-5 rating: 4

Glade Guardian with hunting spear: While it's nice that GW is trying
to represent more options in the ranges (and giving WE players hero
models to boot), this model just doesn't work. What's with the strange
pose? Love the spear as a component, but I hope it's separate from the
main body so that it can be reposed or used as the basis for a
two-handed conversion. 2, though the photo quality is too poor to be
sure.

Glade Guard (formerly Archers; the sprue confirms that WE Spearmen are
out): I like these more every time I see them, and they look great in
the plastic too. GW's managed cloaks that aren't flapping madly about
too, which is good. It's hard to be sure, but these seem to be nearly
completely multipose (I think those are torsos to the upper right),
though the way the cloaks are moulded to part of the legs is bound to
constrain poseability somewhat. I really don't think the half-masks
detract from the models, but since I'm not sure what they're for I'm
downgrading these to a measly 4.

Scout Champion: Can't see him very well, but I don't much like the
pose. 2, subject to improvement when I see more detail. At the very
least swapping his dagger for a sword posed hilt-downwards could make
this passable.

Scouts: From these pictures there's only one pose I particularly like
(the rear right one), and overall I prefer the details of the current
ones. 3.

Dryad: Photo's too poor to make out, and it looks rather odd.

Treekin: Lemurs? Don't quite look the part somehow... I'm not as sold
on them as people on the board seem to be; I imagine the multiple arms
idea was designed to reflect the fact that trees have lots of
branches, but I don't really think it works. They look like some kind
of woody Tyranid. 2, verging on 3.

Love the artwork - pretty heavy LotR feel to the archers piece (since
they all look like Legolas), which I think is wholly appropriate for
this race. We don't see enough of the army's selections in enough
detail to be able to say how it compares with the current one - I
certainly prefer the current Dryads, think the Scouts are much the
same in quality and regard the characters and archers as a huge
improvement. I'm keen on seeing what they've done with the Great Eagle
- with a decent model, that hunting spear and a dynamic Glade Guardian
to use as a base for conversion, I may finally get round to finishing
my conversion of Cedrillion, Lord of Pine Crags. I'm looking forward
to seeing the plastic Glade Riders and their new steeds, too.

Philip Bowles