turn off "Security Center" how???

a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 7:29:42 PM

Every time my computer boots, Windows Security Center (new to SP 2?) insists
to remind me of my current settings. It's reminding me what is disabled in
a bubble-pop-up in the System Tray. I don't want ANY reminders. I don't
want WSC running at all. Where is the setting to turn it off?

More about : turn security center

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 7:29:43 PM

go to conrol panel and it should be there
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 7:29:43 PM

Ogg wrote:
> "Saajan" <mohsin.malique@virgin.net> wrote..
>
> > go to conrol panel and it should be there
>
> Yes.. the Security Center item is there, but there doesn't seem to be any
> setting within it to stop it from loading at Startup.
>
> I have a feeling that what I need to know is the proper name of the
> "Service" and STOP it from the AdministrativeTools/Services panel.
>
> ???
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 7:29:43 PM

Im pretty sure that you can't do anything about it. However, you can
tell it that you are monitoring your antivirus, i know that will stop
those messages... but that thing is damn annoying, only way to remove
it is to remove SP2...

Ogg wrote:
> "Saajan" <mohsin.malique@virgin.net> wrote..
>
> > go to conrol panel and it should be there
>
> Yes.. the Security Center item is there, but there doesn't seem to be any
> setting within it to stop it from loading at Startup.
>
> I have a feeling that what I need to know is the proper name of the
> "Service" and STOP it from the AdministrativeTools/Services panel.
>
> ???
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 9:13:21 PM

"Saajan" <mohsin.malique@virgin.net> wrote..

> go to conrol panel and it should be there

Yes.. the Security Center item is there, but there doesn't seem to be any
setting within it to stop it from loading at Startup.

I have a feeling that what I need to know is the proper name of the
"Service" and STOP it from the AdministrativeTools/Services panel.

???
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2005 9:38:58 PM

Open Services...
Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
Scroll down to and double click: Security Center service |
Click the Stop button | In the Startup Type field,
select Disabled | Click Apply | Click OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:TmaGe.5395$d02.711923@news20.bellglobal.com,
Ogg <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> hunted and pecked:
> Every time my computer boots, Windows Security Center (new to SP 2?)
> insists to remind me of my current settings. It's reminding me what is
> disabled in a bubble-pop-up in the System Tray. I don't want ANY
> reminders. I don't want WSC running at all. Where is the setting to
> turn it off?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 29, 2005 12:04:50 AM

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote..

> Open Services...
> Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
> Scroll down to and double click: Security Center service |
> Click the Stop button | In the Startup Type field,
> select Disabled | Click Apply | Click OK

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.

Yes! Much thanks!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 29, 2005 12:12:50 AM

Hi Ogg,

How to remove Balloon Tips:
This can be done using Tweakui. Install Tweakui and go to
Task and Start menu, then uncheck Enable balloon tips.
Or here’s a script to Disable Balloon Tips
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_balloontips....

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Ogg wrote:
> Every time my computer boots, Windows Security Center
> (new to SP 2?) insists to remind me of my current
> settings. It's reminding me what is disabled in a
> bubble-pop-up in the System Tray. I don't want ANY
> reminders. I don't want WSC running at all. Where is
> the setting to turn it off?
July 29, 2005 4:43:42 AM

Ogg wrote on Thu, 28 Jul 2005:

>"Saajan" <mohsin.malique@virgin.net> wrote..
>
>> go to conrol panel and it should be there
>
>Yes.. the Security Center item is there, but there doesn't seem to be any
>setting within it to stop it from loading at Startup.
>
>I have a feeling that what I need to know is the proper name of the
>"Service" and STOP it from the AdministrativeTools/Services panel.
>
>???

Hi Ogg

Security Center used to complain to me too, because I have Automatic
Updates turned off. I would not turn the service itself off, because it
can actually perform a useful service and warn you if your antivirus or
firewall stops working -- if it's disabled by a trojan or virus, for
example.

But you don't need to turn it off to stop the annoying messages. Try
this:

Open Security Center within Control Panel and look at the panel on the
left, headed Resources. The bottom item is: "Change the way Security
Center alerts me". Click on that.

In the next screen uncheck whichever option
(Firewall/Antivirus/Automatic Update) The Security Center is nagging you
about. Ignore its pleas! Be strong! and OK your way out. :-)

That should stop the tray popups! Hope this helps.

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

"Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote ...

> Security Center used to complain to me too, because I have Automatic
> Updates turned off. I would not turn the service itself off, because it
> can actually perform a useful service and warn you if your antivirus or
> firewall stops working -- if it's disabled by a trojan or virus, for
> example.

Ahh... good point about atleast leaving the service itself on. OK, I won't
disable the service entirely, then. Meanwhile the "Change the way Security
Center alerts me" solution got rid of its presence in the System Tray as I
wanted.

Much thanks!
!