Just bought a second hard drive - now how do I format it?

July 28, 2005 6:07:00 PM

I have bought a second hard drive which I am using in a USB 2.0
enclosure (so it is run through the USB). I want to format the hard
drive, but I am unable to figure it out at this point. This is just a
drive for storage, so I don't want windows or any other operating
system on it. I have tried hooking it up via the USB and XP recognizes
that there is a USB mass storage device attached, but does not show it
in the MY COMPUTER VIEW, even after restarting, refreshing etc. So
what am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:50:59 PM

I have also tried going into adminstrative tools to see if the computer
would see it, it does, DISK MANAGEMENT, but it is unallocated, whatever
that means. I know it needs to be formated, but it doesn't give me the
option!

johnsonholding@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have bought a second hard drive which I am using in a USB 2.0
> enclosure (so it is run through the USB). I want to format the hard
> drive, but I am unable to figure it out at this point. This is just a
> drive for storage, so I don't want windows or any other operating
> system on it. I have tried hooking it up via the USB and XP recognizes
> that there is a USB mass storage device attached, but does not show it
> in the MY COMPUTER VIEW, even after restarting, refreshing etc. So
> what am I missing here?
>
> Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 8:01:01 PM

Go to run,type:D iskmgmt.msc In msc R.click on the drive,select format,
follow the wizards instructions.After its thru,L.click the drive,go to
actions,
all,select,make active,close out msc.

"johnsonholding@yahoo.com" wrote:

> I have bought a second hard drive which I am using in a USB 2.0
> enclosure (so it is run through the USB). I want to format the hard
> drive, but I am unable to figure it out at this point. This is just a
> drive for storage, so I don't want windows or any other operating
> system on it. I have tried hooking it up via the USB and XP recognizes
> that there is a USB mass storage device attached, but does not show it
> in the MY COMPUTER VIEW, even after restarting, refreshing etc. So
> what am I missing here?
>
> Thanks in advance.

July 28, 2005 8:19:11 PM

Thanks, I will try that - is this different from the DISK MANAGEMENT
available in the Adminstrative tools because it is run from DOS?
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 2:13:57 AM

You need to create a partition before you can format the drive.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309000&sd=tech

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman

!