[40K] Fun with Green Stuff!

I tried to post this a couple days ago, but my newsserver is garbage
and I need another one.

I've been experimenting a lot lately with green stuff. It's good
stuff! I like the variety of conversions it's opened up for me. I
decided to start small. I recently completed painting a Terminator
Captain who I'd GS'd a 'loincloth' for, I'll get pics of him online
soon.

Here are some of my other models I've been converting. The model on
the left is a Terminator Sergeant with a GS cloth, this one wasn't as
nice as the Captain but it was my first try. The model on the far
right is a Veteran conversion I made at Games Day, he had fur on one
shoulder pad but not the other, so I took and GS'd a fur lining on his
left pad and added some more on the right. Looks better IRL that in
this scan.

The middle model is, to date, the most talked about locally. I wanted
to try out some hair sculpting techniques, and I was sick of seeing
bald Sergeants. The hair ended up being a bit long - as you can see -
and appears to be flowing out to his left. The common concensus is
that he looks like an '80s rock star in power armor. Personally, I'm
reminded of a certain RGMW poster. I'll let you guess which one. The
hair, however long, has added a lot of character to the model.

http://www.inisfail.com/~kaptingavrin/gallery/greenstuff.jpg

I'll have these guys painted in a few weeks, and will post more pics
then. In the meantime I'm going to be working on a Librarian with some
GS conversions to make him appear as if he's casting a spell, and my
dad wants me to do a Terminator Wolf Lord for him. My Orks are crying
out to have more models painted, so they're first on the docket.

If anyone has any suggestions or links to good GS modeling sites, let
me know. I've got a wide range of sculpting tools and have already
learned to keep my fingers and tools very wet while working with GS.
-Erik

<erks@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I tried to post this a couple days ago, but my newsserver is garbage
> and I need another one.

Old terminator model

bleh

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 03:34:42 GMT, "Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Old terminator model

Haven't been able to afford the new ones yet, though my dad has two
boxes of them (and I should know, I've painted up a full squad as well
as a converted Chaplain and the aforementioned Captain). That said, I
don't mind using the older ones one bit. Most players in my area
still use them simply because we can't all run out and slap down $50
on one squad, especially when you're building a new force and can buy
three Tactical squads on eBay for that price.
-Erik

SPAM

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002

e...@comcast.net wrote:

<snip>

> The middle model is, to date, the most talked about locally. I
wanted
> to try out some hair sculpting techniques, and I was sick of seeing
> bald Sergeants. The hair ended up being a bit long - as you can see
-
> and appears to be flowing out to his left. The common concensus is
> that he looks like an '80s rock star in power armor. Personally, I'm
> reminded of a certain RGMW poster. I'll let you guess which one.
The
> hair, however long, has added a lot of character to the model.
>
> http://www.inisfail.com/~kaptingavrin/gallery/greenstuff.jpg

*nods* I've done same to a StormTrooper sergeant. It does help the
sergeants stand out a bit more. Nice job, there.

<snip>

> If anyone has any suggestions or links to good GS modeling sites, let
> me know. I've got a wide range of sculpting tools and have already
> learned to keep my fingers and tools very wet while working with GS.

Black Gobbo actually has a very good article on working with green
stuff, just search their archives. It helped me a lot.

I find that sometimes a little bit of dish liquid mixed in with your
water will also help keeping things from getting sticky, or you can try
vaseline. I've bought some latex gloves and I'm going to see if that
helps prevent the whole fingerprint issue as well (you can smooth out
fingerprints afterward with water, but it would be nice to avoid them
in the first place...).

The only thing I can think of looking at your pictures is that you
might want to let your greenstuff cure a little bit more before you
actually start sculpting--let it sit about a half hour or so. It should
still be soft enough to be shaped, but it'll hold up better so that
risk of stickyness or risk of tearing is much less, and it will be
easier to smooth out. I'm especially looking at the bit of cloth on the
termie on the left--but maybe you wanted a ragged look?

Overall, good job, especially if you've just started working with GS.

Death Quaker!

"Joiner" <joiner@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> <erks@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I tried to post this a couple days ago, but my newsserver is garbage
>> and I need another one.
>>

> Old terminator model
>
> bleh

oh blow it our your catalog. there's nothing wrong with the figure and at
least the guy went to the effort of taking a picture to show us what he's up
to. if you've anything better to contribute then I'm sure we'd all love to
see it.

On 27 Apr 2005 08:08:38 -0700, spam@deathquaker.org wrote:

>e...@comcast.net wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>> The middle model is, to date, the most talked about locally. I
>wanted
>> to try out some hair sculpting techniques, and I was sick of seeing
>> bald Sergeants. The hair ended up being a bit long - as you can see
>-
>> and appears to be flowing out to his left. The common concensus is
>> that he looks like an '80s rock star in power armor. Personally, I'm
>> reminded of a certain RGMW poster. I'll let you guess which one.
>The
>> hair, however long, has added a lot of character to the model.
>>
>> http://www.inisfail.com/~kaptingavrin/gallery/greenstuff.jpg
>
>*nods* I've done same to a StormTrooper sergeant. It does help the
>sergeants stand out a bit more. Nice job, there.
>
><snip>
>
>> If anyone has any suggestions or links to good GS modeling sites, let
>> me know. I've got a wide range of sculpting tools and have already
>> learned to keep my fingers and tools very wet while working with GS.
>
>Black Gobbo actually has a very good article on working with green
>stuff, just search their archives. It helped me a lot.

I thought I'd spotted one in there. I'll go and have another look.

>I find that sometimes a little bit of dish liquid mixed in with your
>water will also help keeping things from getting sticky, or you can try
>vaseline. I've bought some latex gloves and I'm going to see if that
>helps prevent the whole fingerprint issue as well (you can smooth out
>fingerprints afterward with water, but it would be nice to avoid them
>in the first place...).

I've been doing the dish liquid bit, but I haven't tried the gloves
yet... mainly because I can't find my gloves.

>The only thing I can think of looking at your pictures is that you
>might want to let your greenstuff cure a little bit more before you
>actually start sculpting--let it sit about a half hour or so. It should
>still be soft enough to be shaped, but it'll hold up better so that
>risk of stickyness or risk of tearing is much less, and it will be
>easier to smooth out. I'm especially looking at the bit of cloth on the
>termie on the left--but maybe you wanted a ragged look?

Yeah, he taught me that lesson right off the bat. I wasn't going for
a ragged look with him, however, I was trying for it with a Marine who
I'd added a cloth over one arm for.

>Overall, good job, especially if you've just started working with GS.

Thanks! I doubt I'll ever be able to sculpt my own minis, but at
least I can make sure my Marines don't look like the next guy's.
-Erik

Hey,

I felt cheated by GW after I bought 1st ed SH.

The Termis looked nothing like the lead BAs pictured on the box.

They've since been given to an Ork player.

They make passable Nobs in 'eavy armour.

Being a slow learner, I also bought BfM.

One look at the SM sprue, and I was glad I played Chaos.

Playa

--

"When I consider life, 'tis all a cheat yet,
fool'd by hope, men favour the deceit"

On 27 Apr 2005 15:54:16 -0700, "Playa" <hurlgen40k@aol.com> wrote:

>Being a slow learner, I also bought BfM.
>One look at the SM sprue, and I was glad I played Chaos.

Spruce them up with a little work (i.e. a purity seal here and there)
and paint them to match the rest of your troops, sprinkle them through
the army, and you'll be hard pressed to notice the difference. I've
seen a lot of folks using them, and I got a couple sets to bulk up my
budding Marine force quickly (half the price of a normal Tactical
Squad, I'm definitely using them).

For examples of truly atrocious plastic Marines, check the 40K2 box.
Most people (including GW) have taken to using those guys as statues
in terrain pieces.
-Erik