Folder Question

deijr1238

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
Wasn't sure where to post this, so here goes.

I have an issue that has been occurring lately, and its really starting to piss me off. I like keeping my "My Music" folder organized. Lately, when I go to move a file, you get a black line, that will represent where you want the file to go.
This black line.
compissue.png

The only place I dont get that black line is in my "My Music" folder. All others it will.
When I move something in the folder...
compissue1.png

Another issue I am having is that when I do move a file, it juts the file on the end of the line out of the window, instead of to the next line.
compissue2.png

Thanks for you guys help in this issue.
Brian.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
One solutions would be not to use the My Music Folder, I don't think it's a good idea to ever use any of "My" Folders. You're very likely going to have to do a clean install of Windows, full format, and those folder will be wiped out and if they're backed up on another drive and you're lucky, you'll be able to back them up. The best thing to do is get a second storage drive, drives are cheap, or partition your current drive and put all your data on the second partition. You won't be able to save stuff to the default folder, which is usually in the My folders but all programs let you chose where to save something to. A friend of mine had Windows go south and fortunately we were able to put the drive in another computer and backup his stuff but it was a real pain.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Always possible that folder got corrupted. The problem I see with any of the My folders is that they are integrated into Windows and any Windows corruption can affect them, they're system folders. Again, my experience has been saving data, e.g., music, photos, videos, or docs, to a different folder on a different partition or drive avoids corruption and reduces the likelihood they will be deleted

deijr1238

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
I guess what I will do is transfer all the items to another folder on the comp, and somehow see if there is a way I can "format" the My Music folder, reset it, and see if I can get it back to normal. If I can, good, it will be new. If not, its still OK. Not worth reformatting the comp over for one folder, ya know?

Thanks for your responses.

sumlock

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
You could also try using the TweakUI tool from Microsoft to reset your system folders.

It is available here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

It will instal to your Start Menu under Powertoys for Windows XP.

One of the last options on the list is Repair and My Music is an option in there.

Hope that solves it for you.

Also I would like to point out on the screenshots you sent in, you are using two different views (One Filmstrip, the other Tiles). It may6 be a simple case of going into the My Music folder, clicking View and then Thumbnails. I get the black line that way.

Also while you're in the My Music folder click View and then move down to Arrange Icons by and then click on Auto Arrange.

That should stop your icons moving out of the window.

Good luck

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
One possibility is that you have too much folders containing more folders with more files. Those hinder your system to run.

Decrease the length of the filename and the amount of folder as well. Consolidate.

Defrag, Use CCleaner to clean registry and cache.

presarior3000

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
It is the way that the folder is set up. Rightclick on an empty space in the folder, and choose auto arrange. the reason this works is because it arranges the icons in a sequence, which produces the line that you are familliar with. when this is not selected, it allows you to place the file icons anywhere in the folder.