4GB Memory ASUS A8N-SLI?

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Looking for some advice please!

I want to build a 4GB A8N-SLI Delux system with A64 X2 4400.

What memory should I look into for this - the Asus memory guide indicates no 'approved' 4 DIMM 1GB modules. Anyone have any experience or advice please?

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Thanks, but no thanks, been there and done that.

By the time you have dual Opterons and 4GB suitable memory in it you are in for a lot of cash.

Don't get me wrong - that was my first thought for replacing my current machine (Dual AMD 2GB Tyan) but I just want to be a little more, well, standard I guess!

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hmm - there is that. I was thinking that allocating a full 2GB to Photoshop then letting the system play with the rest, but I guess XP is too squirrelly to really use 3.6GB of memory well...

Thanks for the advice, maybe I'll stay with 4 x 512MBs for now.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
Not quite true. As I thought it was 8GB, I did a bit of research, and found <A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx" target="_new">this guy</A>. According to it, XP supports up to 4GB of virtual memory (but turn that virtual all into real and have fun), but only 2GB of it is accessable by applications by default, and another 2GB is reserved for the OS. However, you can use a 3GB switch to make more available.