Dell Dimension 2350 Fan speed (heat issue?)

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
For the past couple of weeks the (CPU) fan in my Dell will kick into high with minimal use. I thought it may need a good dusting so I took everything apart and cleaned what little dust their was. This has not resolved the issue. Ambient temps are cool 65-72 F. Previously my fan rarely kicked into hi and generally only when ambient temps were very warm (90+). Could the temperature sensor be going bad? And is this anything I should be concerned about or just a mild noise annoyance?

Solution
I recently replaced the fan on my in-laws' 2350 because it too was running near full speed all the time.

I even pulled the CPU, applied some good thermal paste and dusted to get optimal cooling but the fan still would run at high rpm. I ended up replacing the fan to get rid of the problem.

The stock fan has a built-in thermistor that speeds up the fan when the case gets hot but I think after these 8 years it wore out and does not adjust the speed properly.

I suggest you replace the fan. Any 3-pin 92mm fan will do... I went with a fan that runs at a constant rpm that is quiet. If you want a replacement fan that also has a thermistor to control fan speed, Gelid makes a very good one (I have the 80mm and 120mm variant). Moves good...
Well, a good start would be to get some temp readings. Download a free program like SpeedFan or RealTemp and see what kind of temperatures the CPU is putting out. What CPU are we dealing with here? It could be that the thermal paste between the CPU and heat sink has gone bad and needs to be reapplied (if the temps are out of the ordinary). Report back to us with the temps and CPU model and we'll see what is going on with it.

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Thanks for the reply buwish. Unfortunately I have an older dell model (8 years old) that will not give temp readings even with said programs. I have tried them all.

I have a P4 northwood @ 2.2Ghz (stock speed).

I recently replaced the fan on my in-laws' 2350 because it too was running near full speed all the time.

I even pulled the CPU, applied some good thermal paste and dusted to get optimal cooling but the fan still would run at high rpm. I ended up replacing the fan to get rid of the problem.

The stock fan has a built-in thermistor that speeds up the fan when the case gets hot but I think after these 8 years it wore out and does not adjust the speed properly.

I suggest you replace the fan. Any 3-pin 92mm fan will do... I went with a fan that runs at a constant rpm that is quiet. If you want a replacement fan that also has a thermistor to control fan speed, Gelid makes a very good one (I have the 80mm and 120mm variant). Moves good air and is quiet. Place the temp sensor anywhere inside the Dell case and it will speed up or slow down as needed.

Here is the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426004

Solution