Windows activation problem following system restore

I've been working through a chain of problems:

NTLDR is missing ... fixed that problem (sort of ) via a chkdsk /r, which
led to Registry problems (\system\config\software is missing). I copied the
original install registry info using the Repair console, logged in that way,
copied over a recent successful start registry info, and then tried to boot
to use the system restore tool.

On loading, it asks me to activate windows before using it. But when I try
to do so, I get a 'quota exceeded error' which stops the process, leaving me
unable to log in.

As a seperate, but helpful, problem, I do not currently know where my XP CD
is (using a friends XP upgrade CD to boot into repair console).

Currently trying to activate system restore via a safe-mode command line,
but while it starts, it doesn't do anything after that.

so ... suggestions?

Halbert wrote:
> I've been working through a chain of problems:
>
> NTLDR is missing ... fixed that problem (sort of ) via a chkdsk /r,
> which led to Registry problems (\system\config\software is missing).
> I copied the original install registry info using the Repair console,
> logged in that way, copied over a recent successful start registry
> info, and then tried to boot to use the system restore tool.
>
> On loading, it asks me to activate windows before using it. But when
> I try to do so, I get a 'quota exceeded error' which stops the
> process, leaving me unable to log in.
>
> As a seperate, but helpful, problem, I do not currently know where my
> XP CD is (using a friends XP upgrade CD to boot into repair console).
>
> Currently trying to activate system restore via a safe-mode command
> line, but while it starts, it doesn't do anything after that.
>
> so ... suggestions?

Sound like System Restore f*#k you but good. That's why I like to tell
people to use it as a last resort before performing a repair install.

If you get no other suggestions, you might want to perform a repair
install, but that might not work in you case. At this point, before you
do anything, back up what you don't want to loose.

Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea