Sign in with
Your question

HDMI Cables and Lightning!

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 20, 2010 1:38:34 PM

Last night we had lightning strike our house or extremely close to the house, not exactly sure yet. But anyway 2 TV's were on but lost input when the lightning struck. After doing some testing and screwing around we figured that the HDMI cables are no longer working. The TV's are fine and were just using AVI right now.

Anyone heard of this happening?

More about : hdmi cables lightning

a b x TV
June 21, 2010 1:03:56 AM

Some of the circuitry in the TVs may be lunched. AVI works but HDMI does not. What happens when you use a new HDMI cable?
June 21, 2010 1:54:06 PM

Well we solved the problem. The output on our stereo system for the HDMI cables must have fried. We figured out that it came up through the phone line since we discovered our phone was not working. That's why there was no surge protection because it was through the phone line.
Related resources
April 18, 2011 6:24:50 PM

Just thought I'd add my experience for others who have had their HDMI ports blow out due to a nearby lightning strike. It happened to me. My belief is that whatever charge the lightning generated somehow traveled through my DirecTV dish, passed through both the DirecTV receiver box and my AV receiver and landed on my 50" Panasonic plasma HDMI board. I googled for Panasonic repair and found a web site that offered TV repairman answers to your questions. I paid $17 and correctly got the part number I needed. I bought it online from ShopJimmy for $150, got it a week later and installed it myself. After talking with local TV repair shops, I estimated it would have cost me over $450 and loss of my TV for over a week. Now I am in the market for a surge protector that includes a coaxial input.
July 30, 2011 4:12:03 AM

bmesc said:
Just thought I'd add my experience for others who have had their HDMI ports blow out due to a nearby lightning strike. It happened to me. My belief is that whatever charge the lightning generated somehow traveled through my DirecTV dish, passed through both the DirecTV receiver box and my AV receiver and landed on my 50" Panasonic plasma HDMI board. I googled for Panasonic repair and found a web site that offered TV repairman answers to your questions. I paid $17 and correctly got the part number I needed. I bought it online from ShopJimmy for $150, got it a week later and installed it myself. After talking with local TV repair shops, I estimated it would have cost me over $450 and loss of my TV for over a week. Now I am in the market for a surge protector that includes a coaxial input.

i had the same thing happen to mine. lighting came in through the directv and fried the dvr and the tv 50'' panasonic. i just took the back off and its burnt. can you tell me the part #

please email me @ personal information blasted into a million rainbows.
July 30, 2011 5:21:09 AM

the tv is a plasma and its burnt at the port where the hdmi was pluged in.
July 30, 2011 5:22:48 AM

the tv is a plasma and its burnt at the port where the hdmi was pluged in.
September 11, 2011 11:56:41 PM

I my case the Sony Bravia LCD 40 inch will no even turn on - see no lights whatsoever. It was plugged into surge protector along with HDTV cable box, which no longer works, but other things plugged into the same surge protector work. I know either lightening hit the cable splitter outside my house or too much rain got to a loose connection - either way we heard a long noise and then some of the electricity went out as well as the cable to several TVs, those the cable boxes work, the TVs will not turn on any longer.
September 12, 2011 7:07:42 AM

always check your cables first!
September 12, 2011 4:33:00 PM

01bush said:
i had the same thing happen to mine. lighting came in through the directv and fried the dvr and the tv 50'' panasonic. i just took the back off and its burnt. can you tell me the part #

please email me @ personal information blasted into a million rainbows.

Sorry I did not see there was a reply to my post when you sent it. Hope you figured it out. I don't have the part# offhand, but I think your best bet is to research the model number to find the part# because they may be different for different models.

I have been using the set with no problems since I replaced the part, but ever since then, the TV picture (only) will go black for about 2 seconds maybe a couple of times over 3 hours or so. Annoying, but otherwise it looks good.
October 16, 2012 11:55:55 PM

I had the same happen to me, it blew out my AV Receiver, DVD player and 55"Samsung LED TV. I replaced the Receiver and DVD players and the mainboard on my TV. You can find the part number on the mainboard. I googoled it and found it at DiscountTVparts.com for about $150. It was an easy replacement.
April 26, 2013 7:21:24 PM

Sony Bravia TV's have an on board fuse which often blows with local lightning, need to take back cover off, look at PCB near mains connections.
I replaced a fuse and all was fine again.

avisjohn said:
I my case the Sony Bravia LCD 40 inch will no even turn on - see no lights whatsoever. It was plugged into surge protector along with HDTV cable box, which no longer works, but other things plugged into the same surge protector work. I know either lightening hit the cable splitter outside my house or too much rain got to a loose connection - either way we heard a long noise and then some of the electricity went out as well as the cable to several TVs, those the cable boxes work, the TVs will not turn on any longer.

!