Disk Management question

July 28, 2005 11:22:59 PM

Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't access Disk Management in
Windows XP? I get a statement that says that no connection to the Logical
Disk Manager service can be made. What would prevent a connection to that
service?
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:23:00 PM

Please quote the exact text of the error. Also check Event Viewer for
errors.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Michael" wrote:
| Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't access Disk Management in
| Windows XP? I get a statement that says that no connection to the Logical
| Disk Manager service can be made. What would prevent a connection to that
| service?

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 11:23:00 PM

Could be that the service, or one of it's dependencies isn't running.

Go to Start...Run and type in

services.msc

and press Enter.

You'll see a list of services

You need to locate: Plug and Play, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), Logical
Disk Manager, and Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service.

All these services must be set to Manual or Automatic in able to get the
service to work. If the Logical Disk Manager service isn't started you would
get the error message that you refer to.

Plug and Play, and RPC are probably already setup correctly - or you'd have
other problems with your system. Try setting the 2 Logical Disk Services to
Manual (by right clicking and selecting Properties), rebooting and seeing if
it'll work now.

Good Luck!

"Michael" wrote:

> Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't access Disk Management in
> Windows XP? I get a statement that says that no connection to the Logical
> Disk Manager service can be made. What would prevent a connection to that
> service?

Related resources
July 29, 2005 12:27:12 AM

Exact text--> "No connection to Logical Disk Manager service can be made"

"Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
> Please quote the exact text of the error. Also check Event Viewer for
> errors.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Michael" wrote:
> | Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't access Disk Management in
> | Windows XP? I get a statement that says that no connection to the
> Logical
> | Disk Manager service can be made. What would prevent a connection to
> that
> | service?

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:27:13 AM

"Michael" wrote:
| Exact text--> "No connection to Logical Disk Manager service can be made"
July 29, 2005 2:32:56 AM

"Michael" <nirvana@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't access Disk Management in
> Windows XP? I get a statement that says that no connection to the Logical
> Disk Manager service can be made. What would prevent a connection to that
> service?

Michael:
Close the Disk Management window if it's open. Then, Right-click on My
Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > double-click Services.

Scroll down to Logical Disk Manager and double-click on it. See if it's
disabled. If so, restart the service and change the Startup type to
Automatic.
Anna

P.S.
You might want to do a virus-adware check of your system.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:39:47 AM

In article <oIudnYdJIet46nTfRVn-qQ@comcast.com>,
Michael <nirvana@comcast.net> wrote:
>Exact text--> "No connection to Logical Disk Manager service can be made"
>
>"Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Please quote the exact text of the error. Also check Event Viewer for
>> errors.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
>> Microsoft Certified Professional
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

have you looked in Control Panel/Services to see if the service is started ?

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
July 30, 2005 5:43:23 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I tried starting the Logical Disk Manger service, because it was off, but I
still got the same error message. Interestingly, on my other computer, the
service is set to Manual, which I understand should be fine, and yes, the
Disk Management console works fine on that machine.

news:o XNOXX%23kFHA.3552@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!