Disk Management question

Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't access Disk Management in
Windows XP? I get a statement that says that no connection to the Logical
Disk Manager service can be made. What would prevent a connection to that
service?
7 answers Last reply
More about disk management question

    Please quote the exact text of the error. Also check Event Viewer for
    errors.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Michael" wrote:
    | Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't access Disk Management in
    | Windows XP? I get a statement that says that no connection to the Logical
    | Disk Manager service can be made. What would prevent a connection to that
    | service?

    Could be that the service, or one of it's dependencies isn't running.

    Go to Start...Run and type in

    services.msc

    and press Enter.

    You'll see a list of services

    You need to locate: Plug and Play, Remote Procedure Call (RPC), Logical
    Disk Manager, and Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service.

    All these services must be set to Manual or Automatic in able to get the
    service to work. If the Logical Disk Manager service isn't started you would
    get the error message that you refer to.

    Plug and Play, and RPC are probably already setup correctly - or you'd have
    other problems with your system. Try setting the 2 Logical Disk Services to
    Manual (by right clicking and selecting Properties), rebooting and seeing if
    it'll work now.

    Good Luck!

    "Michael" wrote:

    > Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't access Disk Management in
    > Windows XP? I get a statement that says that no connection to the Logical
    > Disk Manager service can be made. What would prevent a connection to that
    > service?

    Exact text--> "No connection to Logical Disk Manager service can be made"

    "Michael" <nirvana@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't access Disk Management in
    > Windows XP? I get a statement that says that no connection to the Logical
    > Disk Manager service can be made. What would prevent a connection to that
    > service?

    Michael:
    Close the Disk Management window if it's open. Then, Right-click on My
    Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > double-click Services.

    Scroll down to Logical Disk Manager and double-click on it. See if it's
    disabled. If so, restart the service and change the Startup type to
    Automatic.
    Anna

    P.S.
    You might want to do a virus-adware check of your system.

    In article <oIudnYdJIet46nTfRVn-qQ@comcast.com>,
    Michael <nirvana@comcast.net> wrote:
    >Exact text--> "No connection to Logical Disk Manager service can be made"
    >
    >"Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Please quote the exact text of the error. Also check Event Viewer for
    >> errors.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    >> Microsoft Certified Professional
    >> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    have you looked in Control Panel/Services to see if the service is started ?

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Thanks for the responses.

    I tried starting the Logical Disk Manger service, because it was off, but I
    still got the same error message. Interestingly, on my other computer, the
    service is set to Manual, which I understand should be fine, and yes, the
    Disk Management console works fine on that machine.

    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
    > "Michael" <nirvana@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone have any idea as to why I can't access Disk Management in
    >> Windows XP? I get a statement that says that no connection to the Logical
    >> Disk Manager service can be made. What would prevent a connection to that
    >> service?
    >

    > Michael:
    > Close the Disk Management window if it's open. Then, Right-click on My
    > Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > double-click Services.
    >
    > Scroll down to Logical Disk Manager and double-click on it. See if it's
    > disabled. If so, restart the service and change the Startup type to
    > Automatic.
    > Anna
    >
    > P.S.
    > You might want to do a virus-adware check of your system.

Connection Disk Management Microsoft Windows XP