Admin Account

WinXP, SP-2....
Is it possible to password protect the Administrator's Account?
I'm new to most of this, and did check the help/support and did not
find anything on this subject. It seems to me that if someone boots
the system to safe mode, they can do just about anything they want to do.
How can I protect this Admin account?
Thanks...

Go to Start...Run and type in:

control userpasswords2

and press Enter

Once in the resulting screen, click on the Administrator account, then click
on the box below which says Reset Password. Then reset it and click your way
out of the dialog.

It's a good idea to change it because all the hackers know that there's an
Administrator account - and if it's not password protected, you've just made
their job easier.

Fishermun wrote:
> WinXP, SP-2....
> Is it possible to password protect the Administrator's Account?

Possible? Certainly. In fact, it's very foolish not to do so.

> I'm new to most of this, and did check the help/support and did not
> find anything on this subject. It seems to me that if someone boots
> the system to safe mode, they can do just about anything they want to do.
> How can I protect this Admin account?

Start > Run > control userpasswords2

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi,

Access the Administrator account from Safe Mode. Then go to Control Panel - User accounts
and create a password there.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Fishermun wrote:
> WinXP, SP-2....
> Is it possible to password protect the Administrator's
> Account? I'm new to most of this, and did check the help/support
> and did not find anything on this subject. It seems to me that if
> someone boots the system to safe mode, they can do just about anything
> they want to do. How can I protect this Admin account?
> Thanks...

Why safe mode? No offense, but there is just no reason to do that. If you
feel I am wrong let me know.
But first look at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/professional/help/windows_security_runas.htm

http://malektips.com/xpwam0007.html

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/quicktips/qt/addadmin.htm

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Access the Administrator account from Safe Mode. Then go to Control
> Panel - User accounts and create a password there.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> Fishermun wrote:
>> WinXP, SP-2....
>> Is it possible to password protect the Administrator's
>> Account? I'm new to most of this, and did check the help/support
>> and did not find anything on this subject. It seems to me that if
>> someone boots the system to safe mode, they can do just about anything
>> they want to do. How can I protect this Admin account?
>> Thanks...

Thank you kindly, that's what I will do.
> Fishermun wrote:
>> WinXP, SP-2....
>> Is it possible to password protect the Administrator's Account?
>
> Possible? Certainly. In fact, it's very foolish not to do so.
>

>> I'm new to most of this, and did check the help/support and did not
>> find anything on this subject. It seems to me that if someone boots
>> the system to safe mode, they can do just about anything they want to do.
>> How can I protect this Admin account?
>

> Start > Run > control userpasswords2
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Yes you can.
Control Panel|User Accounts, click the Administrator account picture ->
Change the password.

- Winux P

"Fishermun" <no.spam@llowed.invalid> wrote in message
> WinXP, SP-2....
> Is it possible to password protect the Administrator's Account?
> I'm new to most of this, and did check the help/support and did not
> find anything on this subject. It seems to me that if someone boots
> the system to safe mode, they can do just about anything they want to do.
> How can I protect this Admin account?
> Thanks...

Hi Manny,

I am merely suggested a method of passwording the hidden Administrator account so if
someone boots to safe mode they can not access it.
I am NOT suggesting he use it on a daily bases.