Sign in with
Your question

TiVo Series 2 for surveilance videos

Last response: in Other Consumer Electronics
February 6, 2011 2:43:13 AM

Hello,
I have had a life time TiVo service contract with a Series 2 DVR. After 5 or 6 years of service it would not recover the guide for more than 2 or 3 days ahead. I contacted TiVo for support. They concluded it was a disk failure and I would have to replace the whole DVR or have it repaired for a price that was not reasonable compared to a DVR available from my ISP because it was out of warranty. They said it would be better put in a land fill since they are up to Series 4 now and that I should invest in the newest Series. I have been able to use it to record surveilance videos in 1/2 hour blocks if I set up the manual control every half hour. It appears that I can do that all the way up to the limit of 80hrs. I have not done that however. The first question is: Does the TiVo diagnoses make any sense if you can still record that much data on the hard drive? The 2nd question is: Is there any way I can make a continuous video recording for the full 80Hrs?
February 7, 2011 5:53:53 AM

Hard disk like the computer don't last - I been to surveillance for quite several years, I would suggest upgrading the systems too than be sorry later on. Expensive but worth it.

If TiVo is using IDE as a recording media then forget it. Recording a full 80Hrs my answer Yes it is possible but their is a risk on that. Don't push the system more than it can do.
m
l
February 9, 2011 12:11:21 AM

dEAne said:
Hard disk like the computer don't last - I been to surveillance for quite several years, I would suggest upgrading the systems too than be sorry later on. Expensive but worth it.

If TiVo is using IDE as a recording media then forget it. Recording a full 80Hrs my answer Yes it is possible but their is a risk on that. Don't push the system more than it can do.

Hi DEAne,
The Hard disk appears to work fine.

The Series 1 and 2 TiVo DVR are a consumers dream and a night mare for advertiser's. Since most video sources are profit driven via advertisements there is not much future for these devices as a profit maker for any company. The only profits would have to be from the sale of the hardware. We all know how fast those profits shrink for electronic gadgets. I just hate to see such a great device go into a landfill. I think I have a ligitmate right to use it for a nonprofit goal( ie record the wild life in my back yard) but the problem is how to limit the use for other purposes. Once the cat is out of bag on how to use it for a general purpose video recording devise there is no way to limit its use on copywright material. Is there another solution?

Wil100
m
l
!