XP (SP1) won't let me change my key!

I have been trying to change my key and followed every link I can find.

Most of the procedures are the same as (or variations of) the one on
the MS Support Site:

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;328874

The basis of this is that you have to make a change in the registry and
then run c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

I make the change in the registry and then run msoobe, where I would
expect to get an option to re-validate windows.. But I get the
activation window and am then told that "Windows Is Already Activated"!

I have done this before, but not for a VERY long time.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Could it be that one of MSs new
Security Patches has blocked the ability change the key?

Are you attempting to replace the current "Volume License Product Key"
with a different "Volume License" key? If not, then that technique will not work.
You'll need to perform a "repair install" using your new Product Key
and the Windows XP CD that came with it.

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"jon.p.weaver" wrote:

| I have been trying to change my key and followed every link I can find.
|
| Most of the procedures are the same as (or variations of) the one on
| the MS Support Site:
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;328874
|

| The basis of this is that you have to make a change in the registry and
| then run c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a
|

| I make the change in the registry and then run msoobe, where I would
| expect to get an option to re-validate windows.. But I get the
| activation window and am then told that "Windows Is Already Activated"!
|
| I have done this before, but not for a VERY long time.
|
| Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Could it be that one of MSs new
| Security Patches has blocked the ability change the key?

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

> Are you attempting to replace the current "Volume License Product Key"
> with a different "Volume License" key? If not, then that technique
> will not work.
> You'll need to perform a "repair install" using your new Product Key
> and the Windows XP CD that came with it.

Does a Repair (inplace upgrade) actually ask for the product key so it
gets used to replace the one used in the current installation? I don't
remember getting asked for the product key which means that you start
with the product key, do the repair, and you still have the same product
key afterward.

For e-mail, remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" passcode to Subject.

Yes, unless you have a preinstalled OEM version of XP.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Vanguard" wrote:

| Does a Repair (inplace upgrade) actually ask for the product key so it
| gets used to replace the one used in the current installation? I don't
| remember getting asked for the product key which means that you start
| with the product key, do the repair, and you still have the same product
| key afterward.

Latest posts