Which is the better Laserdisc player?

genx80s

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I have two laserdisc players and would like to know which is the better player. I have not been able to find any information on the internet about one of the players. I have the manual but it does not have a year on it. I have the remote for both. The player that I can not find any information on is a Pioneer LD-707. The other player is a Pioneer CLD-S201.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I have a Pioneer CLD704 it is quite good but it is old - seriously I would not recommend buying laserdisc anymore coz it is an old technology you won't have service support on that. I did remember trying Pioneer CLD-S201 and find it superb.

genx80s

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
The primary reason I want a working laserdisc player is due to some media released on laserdiscs that have not yet and may not ever be (at least any time soon) released on DVD. For example, Disney released some of their DTV shows on VHS and laserdiscs during the 1980s. Due to copyrights, etc. associated with the songs on this, it is unlikely that they will release these on DVD. Also, since laserdisc players do not have any type of copyright protection, you can make a backup copy of a laserdisc such as this on a DVD without violating the DMCA.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
perhaps you can connect the laserdisc player to the computer so that all digital information stored on the laserdisc is transfered digitally to the computer and all quality is the same.

otherwise how are you going to get the movie from the laserdisc to the computer?

genx80s

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I have already done this and was not my concern. I was trying to see if anyone was familiar with either of the players that I have and could give an opinion on which was the better player.