[40k] [Paint] My necron scheme

Seems like there are quite a few knowledgeable painters round ere, so
thought I'd post a few pictures for people to critique;

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/necron_trio.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dest_front.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dest_back.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/warriors.jpg

Be gentle, I'm still learning... ink washes and dry brushing is about my
limit so far, but I'm fairly happy with the overall look. Any quick and easy
tips to improve my technique are much appreciated...

--
Empty Motorcycle

"Empty Motorcycle" <sum1@sumwhere.com> wrote in message
> Seems like there are quite a few knowledgeable painters round ere, so
> thought I'd post a few pictures for people to critique;
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/necron_trio.jpg
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dest_front.jpg
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dest_back.jpg
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/warriors.jpg
>
> Be gentle, I'm still learning... ink washes and dry brushing is about my
> limit so far, but I'm fairly happy with the overall look. Any quick and
easy
> tips to improve my technique are much appreciated...
>
> --
> Empty Motorcycle

Nice! For a "still-learner", you paint very cleanly. Not alot of visual
clutter to distract the eye.And I like how you used the paint to attract the
eye/hilight certain portions of the mini. Nice to see a color scheme other
than "All-three-GW-silvers".
I think it would enhance the Scorp. green parts if you washed them with a
brown or black/brown, to make them look nice and dirty.

drgrbek
-wondering how much it would cost him to have you finish his SM command
squad;)

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Empty Motorcycle said

> Seems like there are quite a few knowledgeable painters round ere, so
> thought I'd post a few pictures for people to critique;

Righty ho. I'll try and be gentle with you.

> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/necron_trio.jpg
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dest_front.jpg
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/dest_back.jpg

It's a nice simple and effective scheme. It looks like if you can do
this without too much fuss you can put a painted aremy on the table
that'll look good from 5'.

> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.wilks/warriors.jpg

The one comment I'll make is you should give the weaponry a wash of
thinned black or chestnut ink. It looks a bit silly given the washed
nature of the rest of the mini.
--
Rob Singers RGMW FAQ Maintainer. See it @ http://www.rgmw.org
Send submissions to submissions at rgmw dot org changing the obvious.

Empty Motorcycle <sum1@sumwhere.com> wrote:
> Be gentle, I'm still learning... ink washes and dry brushing is about my
> limit so far, but I'm fairly happy with the overall look. Any quick and
> easy tips to improve my technique are much appreciated...

Freaky!!! I really like the Warriors, though I am inclined to agree with
the comment that the weapons need a wash, as they seem a little out of
place. One thing you might want to experiment with is the eyes. I like
what you've done, but can't help but think how it would be cool if you used
a red dot instead of the silver dot (at least I think it's silver) inside the
black.

Also you've done a very nice job of basing the mini's!

I personally didn't care for the black on the Destroyer, however, that is
me, and as long as you like the way that looks that is what matters.
(Besides if you had ever seen my Space Marines, you'd know I have no right
to talk about paint schemes :^)

One question were you inspired by the Comic Book or Movie "The Mask"?

Zane

> Freaky!!! I really like the Warriors, though I am inclined to agree with
> the comment that the weapons need a wash, as they seem a little out of
> place.

I'm going to try this. With the weapons I generally wanted them to stand out
and give the minis some focus; just about all of the examples in the codex
had dark gauss weapons, I guess I was trying to be different.

> One thing you might want to experiment with is the eyes. I like
> what you've done, but can't help but think how it would be cool if you
> used
> a red dot instead of the silver dot (at least I think it's silver) inside
> the
> black.

I originally tried red eyes, but I found they didn't stand out that well
from the green faces. They're actually just plain white with white 'war
paint' around the eye sockets.

<snip>
> One question were you inspired by the Comic Book or Movie "The Mask"?

Heheh, I see your point. Hadn't thought of that myself, I just thought it
would be freaky to have green faces; the rear of the skull is same green
inked metal as the rest of the mini. Makes it look like alien skin or
something... I'm going to continue the effect on all my units, including my
c'tan.

--
Empty Motorcycle

Empty Motorcycle <sum1@sumwhere.com> wrote:
> > Freaky!!! I really like the Warriors, though I am inclined to agree with
> > the comment that the weapons need a wash, as they seem a little out of
> > place.

> I'm going to try this. With the weapons I generally wanted them to stand out
> and give the minis some focus; just about all of the examples in the codex
> had dark gauss weapons, I guess I was trying to be different.

I can definitely agree with the reason you did it! I just picked up some
Necron mini's on eBay, and am waiting for them to arrive, so I'm trying to
figure out what I want to do for a paint scheme.

Zane

>> I'm going to try this. With the weapons I generally wanted them to stand
>> out
>> and give the minis some focus; just about all of the examples in the
>> codex
>> had dark gauss weapons, I guess I was trying to be different.
>
> I can definitely agree with the reason you did it! I just picked up some
> Necron mini's on eBay, and am waiting for them to arrive, so I'm trying to
> figure out what I want to do for a paint scheme.

I'm going for an Egyptian theme with mine so I've got them painted Shining
Gold (with Chestnut Wash) and Enchanted Blue.