Vol ctrls not appearing

July 28, 2005 10:39:45 PM

Hello to anyone has knowledge of, or has a good PC fault-finding background
on how to fix this problem:

Somehow I have lost my advanced volume controls in Windows XP -
(Professional SP1, 2002).
If the volume controls are selected from the quick launch icon (in the
system tray to the right of the task bar), or from Control panel ,the volume
control application will appear in the taskbar, and from there I can
right-click and elect to move, minimise, restore and maximise the volume
controls, but regardless of my actions the application does not appear on the
desktop.

I have ensured the volume drivers are ok and the speakers are appropriate
for the system (this is a Toshiba Tecra Notebook). The only cause I can think
of is that I have been using dual screens, but I have tested to make sure
the application is not trying to appear on the second screen. I have
uninstalled and reinstalled the SoundMAX driver, and verified this by losing
and gaining sound, but this does not help the volume control problem.

Any hints?
(Toshiba will not respond to my request for assistance, and Microsoft will
not provide further support for my licence. This is work, I'm not paying!)

Please note that I have personally seen the volume controls to work and
respond on this PC.

Thanks and regards,
Ben.

More about : vol ctrls appearing

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 4:52:14 AM

Ben0909 wrote:
> Hello to anyone has knowledge of, or has a good PC fault-finding
> background on how to fix this problem:
>
> Somehow I have lost my advanced volume controls in Windows XP -
> (Professional SP1, 2002).
> If the volume controls are selected from the quick launch icon (in the
> system tray to the right of the task bar), or from Control panel ,the
> volume control application will appear in the taskbar, and from there
> I can right-click and elect to move, minimise, restore and maximise
> the volume controls, but regardless of my actions the application
> does not appear on the desktop.
>
> I have ensured the volume drivers are ok and the speakers are
> appropriate for the system (this is a Toshiba Tecra Notebook). The
> only cause I can think of is that I have been using dual screens, but
> I have tested to make sure the application is not trying to appear on
> the second screen. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the SoundMAX
> driver, and verified this by losing and gaining sound, but this does
> not help the volume control problem.
>
> Any hints?
> (Toshiba will not respond to my request for assistance, and Microsoft
> will not provide further support for my licence. This is work, I'm
> not paying!)
>
> Please note that I have personally seen the volume controls to work
> and respond on this PC.

When you uninstalled the drivers, did you scan the registry for old values
and delete them as well? Did you reboot before installing the new drivers?
Did you download the latest drivers?

(And you said you can select to MOVE.. What happens when you do this,
immediately choose an arrow key then move your mouse to the center of the
screen and left-click (primary monitor.)?)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

You shouldn't multi post(same question different posts) it makes some people
mad. Also people in different groups wont see that it's been already
answered in another group If you have to cross post(same question addressed
to multiple news groups in a single post) It helps thing go smoooooother.

"Ben0909" <Ben0909@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello to anyone has knowledge of, or has a good PC fault-finding
> background
> on how to fix this problem:
>
> Somehow I have lost my advanced volume controls in Windows XP -
> (Professional SP1, 2002).
> If the volume controls are selected from the quick launch icon (in the
> system tray to the right of the task bar), or from Control panel ,the
> volume
> control application will appear in the taskbar, and from there I can
> right-click and elect to move, minimise, restore and maximise the volume
> controls, but regardless of my actions the application does not appear on
> the
> desktop.
>
> I have ensured the volume drivers are ok and the speakers are appropriate
> for the system (this is a Toshiba Tecra Notebook). The only cause I can
> think
> of is that I have been using dual screens, but I have tested to make sure
> the application is not trying to appear on the second screen. I have
> uninstalled and reinstalled the SoundMAX driver, and verified this by
> losing
> and gaining sound, but this does not help the volume control problem.
>
> Any hints?
> (Toshiba will not respond to my request for assistance, and Microsoft will
> not provide further support for my licence. This is work, I'm not paying!)
>
> Please note that I have personally seen the volume controls to work and
> respond on this PC.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Ben.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 5:10:14 AM

Jim,

You haven't answered the question, or even come close. Why don't you reread
the question and your terse response?

I have mulitposted to try and get a response without encumbering myself with
timewasters....

To all other's, please ignore "Jim's" original response.

Regards,
Ben.

"Jim" wrote:

> You shouldn't multi post(same question different posts) it makes some people
> mad. Also people in different groups wont see that it's been already
> answered in another group If you have to cross post(same question addressed
> to multiple news groups in a single post) It helps thing go smoooooother.
>
> "Ben0909" <Ben0909@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello to anyone has knowledge of, or has a good PC fault-finding
> > background
> > on how to fix this problem:
> >
> > Somehow I have lost my advanced volume controls in Windows XP -
> > (Professional SP1, 2002).
> > If the volume controls are selected from the quick launch icon (in the
> > system tray to the right of the task bar), or from Control panel ,the
> > volume
> > control application will appear in the taskbar, and from there I can
> > right-click and elect to move, minimise, restore and maximise the volume
> > controls, but regardless of my actions the application does not appear on
> > the
> > desktop.
> >
> > I have ensured the volume drivers are ok and the speakers are appropriate
> > for the system (this is a Toshiba Tecra Notebook). The only cause I can
> > think
> > of is that I have been using dual screens, but I have tested to make sure
> > the application is not trying to appear on the second screen. I have
> > uninstalled and reinstalled the SoundMAX driver, and verified this by
> > losing
> > and gaining sound, but this does not help the volume control problem.
> >
> > Any hints?
> > (Toshiba will not respond to my request for assistance, and Microsoft will
> > not provide further support for my licence. This is work, I'm not paying!)
> >
> > Please note that I have personally seen the volume controls to work and
> > respond on this PC.
> >
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Ben.

July 29, 2005 5:52:11 AM

BTW read a possible solution to your problem that I posted in the other NG
you MULTI POSTED to. AND multi posting WASTES time because of that exactly.

> Jim,
>
> You haven't answered the question, or even come close. Why don't you
> reread
> the question and your terse response?
>
> I have mulitposted to try and get a response without encumbering myself
> with
> timewasters....
>
> To all other's, please ignore "Jim's" original response.
>
> Regards,
> Ben.
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>
>> You shouldn't multi post(same question different posts) it makes some
>> people
>> mad. Also people in different groups wont see that it's been already
>> answered in another group If you have to cross post(same question
>> addressed
>> to multiple news groups in a single post) It helps thing go smoooooother.
>>
>> "Ben0909" <Ben0909@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello to anyone has knowledge of, or has a good PC fault-finding
>> > background
>> > on how to fix this problem:
>> >
>> > Somehow I have lost my advanced volume controls in Windows XP -
>> > (Professional SP1, 2002).
>> > If the volume controls are selected from the quick launch icon (in the
>> > system tray to the right of the task bar), or from Control panel ,the
>> > volume
>> > control application will appear in the taskbar, and from there I can
>> > right-click and elect to move, minimise, restore and maximise the
>> > volume
>> > controls, but regardless of my actions the application does not appear
>> > on
>> > the
>> > desktop.
>> >
>> > I have ensured the volume drivers are ok and the speakers are
>> > appropriate
>> > for the system (this is a Toshiba Tecra Notebook). The only cause I can
>> > think
>> > of is that I have been using dual screens, but I have tested to make
>> > sure
>> > the application is not trying to appear on the second screen. I have
>> > uninstalled and reinstalled the SoundMAX driver, and verified this by
>> > losing
>> > and gaining sound, but this does not help the volume control problem.
>> >
>> > Any hints?
>> > (Toshiba will not respond to my request for assistance, and Microsoft
>> > will
>> > not provide further support for my licence. This is work, I'm not
>> > paying!)
>> >
>> > Please note that I have personally seen the volume controls to work and
>> > respond on this PC.
>> >
>> > Thanks and regards,
>> > Ben.

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 5:52:12 AM

If a message MUST be posted to multiple groups, post a single message and
select all the groups (or type their names manually, separated by commas) in
which you want it to be seen. This is called Crossposting and when used
properly it is *GOOD*.

This question was posted individually to multiple groups.

This is called Multiposting and it's *BAD*.

Replies made in one group will not be visible in the other groups, which
may cause multiple people to respond to a question with the same answer
because they didn't know someone else had already done it.

This is a waste of time.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uq3WqGAlFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Jim <Kljggg4@kjhj.net> hunted and pecked:
> BTW read a possible solution to your problem that I posted in the other NG
> you MULTI POSTED to. AND multi posting WASTES time because of that
> exactly.
>
> "Ben0909" <Ben0909@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Jim,
>>
>> You haven't answered the question, or even come close. Why don't you
>> reread
>> the question and your terse response?
>>
>> I have mulitposted to try and get a response without encumbering myself
>> with
>> timewasters....
>>
>> To all other's, please ignore "Jim's" original response.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ben.
>>
>> "Jim" wrote:
>>
>>> You shouldn't multi post(same question different posts) it makes some
>>> people
>>> mad. Also people in different groups wont see that it's been already
>>> answered in another group If you have to cross post(same question
>>> addressed
>>> to multiple news groups in a single post) It helps thing go
>>> smoooooother.
>>>
>>> "Ben0909" <Ben0909@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

July 29, 2005 3:37:07 PM

Thanks. Better put than I did.

> If a message MUST be posted to multiple groups, post a single message and
> select all the groups (or type their names manually, separated by commas)
> in
> which you want it to be seen. This is called Crossposting and when used
> properly it is *GOOD*.
>
> This question was posted individually to multiple groups.
>
> This is called Multiposting and it's *BAD*.
>
> Replies made in one group will not be visible in the other groups, which
> may cause multiple people to respond to a question with the same answer
> because they didn't know someone else had already done it.
>
> This is a waste of time.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uq3WqGAlFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Jim <Kljggg4@kjhj.net> hunted and pecked:
>> BTW read a possible solution to your problem that I posted in the other
>> NG
>> you MULTI POSTED to. AND multi posting WASTES time because of that
>> exactly.
>>
>> "Ben0909" <Ben0909@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Jim,
>>>
>>> You haven't answered the question, or even come close. Why don't you
>>> reread
>>> the question and your terse response?
>>>
>>> I have mulitposted to try and get a response without encumbering myself
>>> with
>>> timewasters....
>>>
>>> To all other's, please ignore "Jim's" original response.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ben.

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 8:44:58 PM

This upsets me to no end. What it wastes is my time. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:u03VhNFlFHA.2484@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Jim <Kljggg4@kjhj.net> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks. Better put than I did.

>> If a message MUST be posted to multiple groups, post a single message and
>> select all the groups (or type their names manually, separated by commas)
>> in
>> which you want it to be seen. This is called Crossposting and when used
>> properly it is *GOOD*.
>>
>> This question was posted individually to multiple groups.
>>
>> This is called Multiposting and it's *BAD*.
>>
>> Replies made in one group will not be visible in the other groups, which
>> may cause multiple people to respond to a question with the same answer
>> because they didn't know someone else had already done it.
>>
>> This is a waste of time.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:uq3WqGAlFHA.2396@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> Jim <Kljggg4@kjhj.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> BTW read a possible solution to your problem that I posted in the other
>>> NG
>>> you MULTI POSTED to. AND multi posting WASTES time because of that
>>> exactly.
>>>
>>> "Ben0909" <Ben0909@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:23:02 PM

Good morning lads!

Hope you're having a stunning Monday Jim.

Thanks for your post Wes. This is in fact the first time I have had to use a
forum. If I had been aware that you guys were constantly monitoring this
entire forum I would not have taken this approach. My apologies it caused
such a headache. Possibly it's an indicator to be showing a clear little
warning visible at the posting page...

I did in fact find the solution to the problem through a friendly bunch of
blokes in Missouri. When I selected Move from the Volume application in the
taksbar, I then used the arrow keys randomly to wake up the drivers, and then
when I left-clicked the mouse the application suddenly appeared. Wow, smart
guys.

The root-cause of me trying to fix the problem is a foul sounding MP3 that's
needs some audio changes, but which would otherwise sound good. (I am limited
in the applications I am allowed on this computer and so cannot load a pretty
little graphic equaliser.) But I've now found I cannot activate the bass and
treble controls under the 'Advanced' controls of 'Stereo Wide'.
If you can find an answer to this problem this I would be genuinely
appreciative.

Regards,
B.

!