files disappear from firewire drive

birdman

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
hello. i have an 250gb external hdd partitioned into three drives. recently i was unraring a 4gb file when suddenly i received a windows error informing me that windows could no longer locate the directory to which i was unpacking, which is located on one of the external partitions. this error was followed by a bsod. after rebooting, the partition in question was displayed as an unformatted partition. the other two partitions were unaffected.

ive since used runtime software's getdataback ntfs to look at the partition. despite no longer being recognized in windows, it is entirely intact.

im assuming there is data that informs windows that the partition is formatted, and possibly that it contains files and where to find them? what is this particular data called? what exactly does it tell windows? and the real question - is it possible to restore it? if getdataback can see everything, it seems as though it should be possible to restore the reference point data (for lack of a better term) to once again allow windows to be aware of the partition contents.

of course if worse comes to worse i can certainly restore the data to another drive, reformat, and copy it back. but, it is 50,000 files at 100gb, and, honestly, thats not how id like to spend a day off.

if there is any help you may be able to offer, i would be most appreciative if you would do so. thank you for your time.

G

In my experience, when a drive start acting up, it might be the best idea to backup/move to another drive...

I would think it has to do with the MBR, MasterBootRecord.
<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkd_tro_ldau.asp" target="_new">You cans tart here</A>

I do suggest a backup anyhow because you nvever how this stuff will turn out!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0