HotSync Problem

October 7, 2004 12:22:14 PM

After upgrading to Palm Desktop 4 (and swithing from Palm Vx to M130) I'm
having problems with HotSync.

After a while Windows (ME) reports an error caused by HotSync in SYNC20.DLL.

Is this a known problem and how do I solve this ?

John

More about : hotsync problem

Anonymous
October 8, 2004 10:55:41 AM

John Martens wrote:

> After upgrading to Palm Desktop 4 (and swithing from Palm Vx to M130) I'm
> having problems with HotSync.
>
> After a while Windows (ME) reports an error caused by HotSync in
> SYNC20.DLL.
>
> Is this a known problem and how do I solve this ?
>
> John

To tell you the truth, Window$ ME cannot be trusted. It's a premature
release, though your problem might be related to Palm Desktop directly.
Only yesterday I helped a friend of mine whose Outlook synchronisation
caused the Windows$ kernel in ME to die. It's the third time in a few years
that this has happened to him. On the previous two occasions, he solved
this by re-installing Outlook. Maybe SYNC20 crashes because of some bad
dynamic linking. I suggest that you also consider upgrading Window$, if it
is not too much of a hassle.

Apropos, M130/PalmVx transition is unlikely to be the cause of the problem.
The 'desktop layer' should be almost transparent to the hardware and only
dependent on the software, i.e. PalmOS (and its actual version).

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> To tell you the truth, Window$ ME cannot be trusted. It's a premature
> release, though your problem might be related to Palm Desktop directly.
> Only yesterday I helped a friend of mine whose Outlook synchronisation
> caused the Windows$ kernel in ME to die. It's the third time in a few years
> that this has happened to him. On the previous two occasions, he solved
> this by re-installing Outlook. Maybe SYNC20 crashes because of some bad
> dynamic linking. I suggest that you also consider upgrading Window$, if it
> is not too much of a hassle.

I personally found that a nice "upgrade" was switching from Windows ME
to Windows 98 SE. At least it *works*, mostly.

- Logan
October 8, 2004 2:16:37 PM

Logan Shaw wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> To tell you the truth, Window$ ME cannot be trusted. It's a premature
>> release, though your problem might be related to Palm Desktop directly.
>> Only yesterday I helped a friend of mine whose Outlook synchronisation
>> caused the Windows$ kernel in ME to die. It's the third time in a few
>> years that this has happened to him. On the previous two occasions, he
>> solved this by re-installing Outlook. Maybe SYNC20 crashes because of
>> some bad dynamic linking. I suggest that you also consider upgrading
>> Window$, if it is not too much of a hassle.
>
> I personally found that a nice "upgrade" was switching from Windows ME
> to Windows 98 SE. At least it *works*, mostly.
>
> - Logan

Yes indeed. I still use Window$ 98 (2nd edition) on my laptop. It has only
32 MB of RAM.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

Roy,

I switched off all the Sync items (do nothing). The sync went well.
Then I switched on the items that I need (most) and it works without any
error.

After uninstalling the Desktop 4.1 there are still quite a lot references in
the Registry that are not deleted with the uninstall. I thought it was a
problem of old Palm Desktop 3.5 filereferences making trouble with the 4.1
ones.

For now I've got it working but I hoped for some solution that would realy
help (eg some tool that would erase all old 3.5 references ??).

John

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> schreef in bericht
> John Martens wrote:
>
> > After upgrading to Palm Desktop 4 (and swithing from Palm Vx to M130)
I'm
> > having problems with HotSync.
> >
> > After a while Windows (ME) reports an error caused by HotSync in
> > SYNC20.DLL.
> >
> > Is this a known problem and how do I solve this ?
> >
> > John
>
> To tell you the truth, Window$ ME cannot be trusted. It's a premature
> release, though your problem might be related to Palm Desktop directly.
> Only yesterday I helped a friend of mine whose Outlook synchronisation
> caused the Windows$ kernel in ME to die. It's the third time in a few
years
> that this has happened to him. On the previous two occasions, he solved
> this by re-installing Outlook. Maybe SYNC20 crashes because of some bad
> dynamic linking. I suggest that you also consider upgrading Window$, if it
> is not too much of a hassle.
>
> Apropos, M130/PalmVx transition is unlikely to be the cause of the
problem.
> The 'desktop layer' should be almost transparent to the hardware and only
> dependent on the software, i.e. PalmOS (and its actual version).
>
> --
> Roy Schestowitz
> http://schestowitz.com
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 7:21:02 AM

"John Martens" <CAVO@TennisHulp.info> wrote in message news:<2ea0c$41669852$52ac0013$1447@news1.zonnet.nl>...
> Roy,
>
> I switched off all the Sync items (do nothing). The sync went well.
> Then I switched on the items that I need (most) and it works without any
> error.
>
> For now I've got it working but I hoped for some solution that would realy
> help (eg some tool that would erase all old 3.5 references ??).

What is it with Palm and their piece o' junk hotsync program? The
software is ten years old and still seems to be as buggy as hell. I
cannot hotsync on a vanilla Win2000 system or with sp2 installed. I
get the old SmartLib out of memory error or R6025 virtual function
call errors. Palm tell me to upgrade my OS or install a USB card - the
palm is connected directly to the computer USB bus with no other
devices.

And yet all other USB devices work with this computer... I can
transfer 256 MB of files from my digital camera no problems.
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 7:47:17 AM

"David Off" <david.off@voila.fr> wrote in message
news:D e30ee00.0410090221.32191f12@posting.google.com...
> "John Martens" <CAVO@TennisHulp.info> wrote in message
>> Roy,

SNIP

> What is it with Palm and their piece o' junk hotsync program? The
> software is ten years old and still seems to be as buggy as hell. I
> cannot hotsync on a vanilla Win2000 system or with sp2 installed. I
> get the old SmartLib out of memory error or R6025 virtual function
> call errors. Palm tell me to upgrade my OS or install a USB card - the
> palm is connected directly to the computer USB bus with no other
> devices.
>
> And yet all other USB devices work with this computer... I can
> transfer 256 MB of files from my digital camera no problems.

I've had Hotsync installed on Win98, 2000, XP and XP Pro and never had a
problem. I have seen installations go haywire usually due to virus scanning
software that was installed and active when trying to load an application. I
have also seen problems with USB devices such as my Sandisk multi-card
reader/writer. For some reason the Windows OS would "forget" that the card
reader was installed and I would have to unplug the reader and plug it into
another USB port to get the OS to "remember" the reader.

I have also seen that Win2000 was problematic with other programs. I think
it usually had to do with the NT file system as opposed to the FAT file
system of Win98 and XP.

TC
!