Sign in with
Your question

HP LP2475W at resolutions other that 1920x1200

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 6, 2009 4:55:08 PM

Hi All,

Thinking of purchases a few of these and I'm curious about running at resolutions other than 1920x1200.

I'm in an environment where it's necessary to run at 1280x720 - but per pixel accuracy is critical - the standard 'blurriness' that most LCDs get at custom resolutions is not acceptable.

I know 1280 x 720 is officially supported, but I wanted to know from first hand experience if the image quality is as precise as 1920x1200. I know this monitor supports hardware ratio control, but does that come at an image cost?

So, to anyone that has this monitor: how does 1280x720 look?

Thanks!
a b α HP
a c 195 C Monitor
May 7, 2009 12:49:45 AM

It will look a little blurry on any monitor because of interpolation to determine where it is best to place a pixel for any given resolution.

The best 24" LCD monitor for using less than native resolution would be the NEC LCD2490WUXi. Since the WUXi series is geared towards the graphics professional it has a great internal image processor so this monitor's output of less than native resolution stretched out to fill the entire screen should be superior to all other 24" LCD out there (with even more expensive profession LCD monitors as a possible exception). Needless to say at $1,100+ the NEC 2490WUXi is not cheap, but it will give you the best interpolated image.

If per pixel accuracy is absolutely critical, then do not even think about buying any 24" LCD monitor.
May 7, 2009 1:17:35 AM

jaguarskx said:
It will look a little blurry on any monitor because of interpolation to determine where it is best to place a pixel for any given resolution.

The best 24" LCD monitor for using less than native resolution would be the NEC LCD2490WUXi. Since the WUXi series is geared towards the graphics professional it has a great internal image processor so this monitor's output of less than native resolution stretched out to fill the entire screen should be superior to all other 24" LCD out there (with even more expensive profession LCD monitors as a possible exception). Needless to say at $1,100+ the NEC 2490WUXi is not cheap, but it will give you the best interpolated image.

If per pixel accuracy is absolutely critical, then do not even think about buying any 24" LCD monitor.

Ahh... hmm. Thank you, very helpful information. Through various other avenues of research I'd more or less come to the same conclusion. I was unaware of the NEC though.

Other than the NEC mentioned above, is there perhaps another monitor - possibly even TV monitor - that you'd be comfortable recommending for 1) color accuracy (assuming that I will be calibrating) 2) superior gamut/contrast (superior being a somewhat relative term. superior to 'standard' consumer monitors).

1,100$ is certainly not as enticing as the HP 550$ range, but I think it's workable. I don't think I can go much higher than that though.

With the wealth of information out there, this has been trickier researching than I would have expected.
Related resources
a b α HP
a c 195 C Monitor
May 7, 2009 1:42:23 AM

BTW, the Dell is currently on sale for under $500. The interpolation looks good enough to me and I am currently thinking about buying it as a secondary LCD monitor.
May 7, 2009 2:01:20 AM

jaguarskx said:
BTW, the Dell is currently on sale for under $500. The interpolation looks good enough to me and I am currently thinking about buying it as a secondary LCD monitor.

Thank J - very helpful! Hadn't come across Prad before.
May 7, 2009 6:42:46 PM

FWIW I'm now strongly considering the NEC 2490WUXi.

My only reservations are it's lack of HDMI input (from what I understand there should be no loss with an HDMI - DVI connector) and it's lower rated contrast ratio (800:1)
a b α HP
a c 195 C Monitor
May 8, 2009 5:55:06 AM

The lack of a HDMI connection did not prevent me from buying my NEC LCD2690WUXi.

The 2490WUXi is held in very high regards (even higher than the 2690WUXi) because of it's ability to display pure whites and it's standard color gamut. Not to mention it's internal image processing capabilities.

Just in case you are gonna be playing games, you should be away that the internal image processing does impose a little bit of input lag. For example the 2690WUXi has an average input lag of about 30ms - 32ms. The Planar PX2611w which uses the same H-IPS panel, but lacks image processing, has been initially tested to have 16ms of input lag, but after revised testing by ToastyX, he found the input lag to be even less.

ToastyX is a member of www.hardforum.com which has a much more active forum about displays. There are several threads about the 2490WUXi and some of them are mega-threads. Come join the IPS love fest.
!