Overclocking

Lately, I have been getting the message, usually when I boot up, that my
machine was not able to 'overclock'. I went to 'settup', and eventually, I
hit Enter, and my comp continued to boot up. I tried to look up overclock in
Search, but found nothing. It doesn't bring up this message a lot, but only
once in a while makes me curious. I have Norton '05 and ZAlarm, and I get
auto updates from MSN.

What does 'overclocking' mean??
--
Jack

Someone with physical access to your computer has been changing the bios
settings in trying to get the computer's CPU, RAM and FSB to run at other
that the normal speeds (faster). The bios does not like the settings and has
thrown up a warning.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"EverJack" <EJ@chats.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Lately, I have been getting the message, usually when I boot up, that my
> machine was not able to 'overclock'. I went to 'settup', and eventually,
> hit Enter, and my comp continued to boot up. I tried to look up overclock
> in
> Search, but found nothing. It doesn't bring up this message a lot, but
> only
> once in a while makes me curious. I have Norton '05 and ZAlarm, and I get
> auto updates from MSN.
>
> What does 'overclocking' mean??
> --
> Jack

Someone

I can clear mosr CMOS settings within windows using these commands.

start>run>command

debug
-o 70 2E
-o 71 00
-q
(This will leave your drive settings as they are but clears most of the
rest)

AMI & Award Bios...

debug
-o 70 17
-o 71 17
-q
(Same)

debug
-o 70 FF
-o 71 17
-q
(In most cases, this will reset the entire CMOS)

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Someone with physical access to your computer has been changing the bios
> settings in trying to get the computer's CPU, RAM and FSB to run at other
> that the normal speeds (faster). The bios does not like the settings and
> has thrown up a warning.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "EverJack" <EJ@chats.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Lately, I have been getting the message, usually when I boot up, that my
>> machine was not able to 'overclock'. I went to 'settup', and eventually,
>> hit Enter, and my comp continued to boot up. I tried to look up
>> overclock in
>> Search, but found nothing. It doesn't bring up this message a lot, but
>> only
>> once in a while makes me curious. I have Norton '05 and ZAlarm, and I
>> get
>> auto updates from MSN.
>>
>> What does 'overclocking' mean??
>> --
>> Jack

Richard.............. If my Bios is being changed, it must be a virus. I am
the only one with access to my comp. I have regular virus scans, and they
show nothing. I just used Sys Restore and set it back to the first of the
month. I'll see what happens.

Thanks
--
Jack

In news:9609AD6A-4A27-4751-A88F-BBBBA9C42F1C@microsoft.com,
EverJack <EJ@chats.microsoft.com> typed:
> Lately, I have been getting the message, usually when I boot up, that
> my machine was not able to 'overclock'. I went to 'settup', and
> eventually, I hit Enter, and my comp continued to boot up. I tried
> to look up overclock in Search, but found nothing. It doesn't bring
> up this message a lot, but only once in a while makes me curious. I
> have Norton '05 and ZAlarm, and I get auto updates from MSN.
>
> What does 'overclocking' mean??

Essentially, it means Make Things Go Faster (like when guys paint racing
stripes on their Honda Civics). However, I don't think what you saw is a
Windows message. Have you recently scanned your computer for spyware?

PS: MSN can't be what you mean....you mean Windows/Microsoft Update, right?

Right, Lanwrench
--
Jack

"Lanwrench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:9609AD6A-4A27-4751-A88F-BBBBA9C42F1C@microsoft.com,
> EverJack <EJ@chats.microsoft.com> typed:
> > Lately, I have been getting the message, usually when I boot up, that
> > my machine was not able to 'overclock'. I went to 'settup', and
> > eventually, I hit Enter, and my comp continued to boot up. I tried
> > to look up overclock in Search, but found nothing. It doesn't bring
> > up this message a lot, but only once in a while makes me curious. I
> > have Norton '05 and ZAlarm, and I get auto updates from MSN.
> >
> > What does 'overclocking' mean??
>
> Essentially, it means Make Things Go Faster (like when guys paint racing
> stripes on their Honda Civics). However, I don't think what you saw is a
> Windows message. Have you recently scanned your computer for spyware?
>
> PS: MSN can't be what you mean....you mean Windows/Microsoft Update, right?

Hi,

Overclocking means that you're running one or more components of your
computer at speeds over their factory defaults. The most common way to
overclock is to adjust the settings thru the motherboard's BIOS.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

EverJack wrote:
> Richard.............. If my Bios is being changed, it must be a
> virus. I am the only one with access to my comp. I have regular
> virus scans, and they show nothing. I just used Sys Restore and set
> it back to the first of the month. I'll see what happens.

1.) System Restore is a Last Resort
2.) System Restore is where many viruses hide
3.) System Restoring more than a week can cause more problems than it
fixes
4.) System Resore will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING as regards to your BIOS
throwing Overclocking errors

--
Peace!
Kurt

I want to thank you all for answering. I have never been in any forum where
I was answered so quickly. I appreciate it......................... Really.
I'll probably get back to you......................... if I can.
--
Jack

"kurttrail" wrote:

> EverJack wrote:
> > Richard.............. If my Bios is being changed, it must be a
> > virus. I am the only one with access to my comp. I have regular
> > virus scans, and they show nothing. I just used Sys Restore and set
> > it back to the first of the month. I'll see what happens.
>
> 1.) System Restore is a Last Resort
> 2.) System Restore is where many viruses hide
> 3.) System Restoring more than a week can cause more problems than it
> fixes
> 4.) System Resore will do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING as regards to your BIOS
> throwing Overclocking errors
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Thanks, Gary. I'll try that.
--
Jack

"Gary Tsang" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Overclocking means that you're running one or more components of your
> computer at speeds over their factory defaults. The most common way to
> overclock is to adjust the settings thru the motherboard's BIOS.
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>
> "EverJack" <EJ@chats.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Lately, I have been getting the message, usually when I boot up, that my
> > machine was not able to 'overclock'. I went to 'settup', and eventually,
> > hit Enter, and my comp continued to boot up. I tried to look up overclock
> > in
> > Search, but found nothing. It doesn't bring up this message a lot, but
> > only
> > once in a while makes me curious. I have Norton '05 and ZAlarm, and I get
> > auto updates from MSN.
> >
> > What does 'overclocking' mean??
> > --
> > Jack

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> In news:9609AD6A-4A27-4751-A88F-BBBBA9C42F1C@microsoft.com,
> EverJack <EJ@chats.microsoft.com> typed:
>> Lately, I have been getting the message, usually when I boot up, that
>> my machine was not able to 'overclock'. I went to 'settup', and
>> eventually, I hit Enter, and my comp continued to boot up. I tried
>> to look up overclock in Search, but found nothing. It doesn't bring
>> up this message a lot, but only once in a while makes me curious. I
>> have Norton '05 and ZAlarm, and I get auto updates from MSN.
>>

>> What does 'overclocking' mean??
>
> Essentially, it means Make Things Go Faster

It should be said that while overclocking can produce increases in speed, it
also causes the CPU to produce much more heat and can fry itself if proper
cooling is not provided. Changing voltage settings may also be necessary.
Overclocking can also adversly affect RAM and PCI mhz, causing performance
issues and even component failure. One should not OC without first learning
the ins & outs.

Hark