windows memory diag, and memtest86

schuy1

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
Hey all, I have a gigabyte k8nxp-sli board, and am testing two geil 512 modules in dual channel mode, in WMD i get a error on LRAND , but memtest shows no errors through several passes. I tested each stick independantly, same results. I tested the modules on a intel cs board, and no errors from memtest or WMD. I also tested another stick with WMD on this board with errors w/WMD, but all 3 sticks test fine on the intel board. The real Q is, does WMD have problems with the athlon 64s mem controller or should I be concerned about a faulty main board with this issue. (i have tested multiple slots on the amd board, all same result) Thanks for any info

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
The problem with WMD may be a driver/software conflict.

Not all errors are caused by hardware conflicts. I would assume that memtest86 is a more accurate memory test than a windows program.

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"My Memory is not working today"
<font color=blue>AIM SoCaliCrowley

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Windows Diagnostics runs in dos as well as Memtest Brent...Since you got errors in WMD and not in memtest it may be a result of programming or what each program is testing for and it is always a good idea to test memory with two different test programs if you question the validity of that program. Memtest has been around for a longer time and seem to be a more reliable test. WMD must have given you some erroneous results.

I did not write the program so to give any kind of deeper reason would be futile.

Hope this helps.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CrucialLabs on 08/18/05 12:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Isn't WMD a windows tools?

Microsoft windows.. sorry.

Anycase, Memtest86 or Sisandra seems to be a better and more widely used tool.

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"My Memory is not working today"
<font color=blue>AIM SoCaliCrowley